3 hours ago, geoffdaddy said:

I know a lot of folks have pointed fingers at cheap chinese tires. I am not discounting that as a possibility, but if it were me and this had happened multiple times to me the first thing I'd do is weight the rig and/or check the load index of the tire to make sure it's adequate.. A lot of people seem to have no idea how much their rig weighs apart from what the weight rating sticker says on the side of the camper. 

That was the first thing many of us did.  That's why we bought replacement tires at over $400.00 each   Still not sure why the manufacturers were allowed to use the cheep tires

1 hour ago, caveat lector said:

One more vote for tpms . The only thing that annoys me, is that I didn't buy it day one.

Tpms are a valuable tool.  I recommend buying ones that show the pressure and temp.  You can learn a lot about how to load your trailer by watching the tire temps.

• 2 weeks later...

I fill my tires with helium.  My trailer weight decreases by 1%, allowing me to buy more Disney crap when I am on vacation.

1 hour ago, ftwildernessguy said:

I fill my tires with helium.  My trailer weight decreases by 1%, allowing me to buy more Disney crap when I am on vacation.

Ok I was trying to find that "we have a winner" smiley with the bell but I came across this first and shall now use it pretty much all day every day...

bananadance.gif

A good coat of wax will give you an extra 2 mpg.

update so far

so I took all the tires off (kind of a chore at 16,500lbs) called up a local tire store. An old friend answers the line that I had no Idea was working there. he had the sensors installed and filled the tires with nitrogen (free). found that one wheel was so ben that it could not be balanced (same one that kept blowing could be the issues or a result of the issue)

Put all the tires back on. Hunted down a new matching wheel. took the bad one off and had it remounted.

When all the wheels were in the bed of the truck the TPMS reported back on them

took a trip to Iowa with the camper in tow. The TPMS was hit and miss some times it would get a tire sometimes it would not. I moved the receiver antenna all over the truck with varied results . It never got all four tires at any point

Got home Emailed Dill Air Control the maker of the TPMS. told them of my issues and they emailed me back.

Due to the construction of the G rated tires and the distance from tires to antenna I have to add a booster (repeater) on the camper.

I picked it up today at Tire Rack.

I will report back on my findings LOL

Always one more Issue to deal with 

Mine came with a repeater. The battery on my Tt is located just behind the propane tanks, which is conveniently half way between the Tt tires and the tpms receiver of my dash. Never loses reception. Hope yours works too.

Along with all of the precautions mentioned in this thread, I also use an infra-red heat detecting gun on my tires when stopping for fuel or other reasons.  I know some of the TPMS devices also have heat detection built into them which is an excellent idea.  

Over time, I have built up a mental record of how hot the wheels are by remembering what the usual temperature should be when I check them.  When doing so, I also note how much hotter the wheels on the sunny side of the trailer are as compared with the shaded side while also taking into consideration the ambient air temperature.  

By careful examination, you can also get an idea if any excess heat is caused by the tire or the wheel bearings.  I also check the TV tires in the same way. 

Over the years this has worked for me and gives me a little more peace of mind.

• 3 months later...

So I installed the repeater(booster) and it worked great. Im very surprised at the temp and pressure changes as I'm driving and speed. 62-65 is the happy zone for my unit. 70 they start to get pretty hot at 120 and the pressure is around 135 to high for my comfort. the term at 62 is 100 and the pressure is 115.    I also connecter the power for the booster to the running lights I don't want it powered all the time.