• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here are a few pictures from yesterday: Entrance to the 100 and 200 loops: Newly paved road after sewer line repair: Damaged fence at Meadows Trading Post: Canal in

If anyone on here evacuates up to the northeast Alabama area you are welcome to park at my shop. We have power and a dump station available.

I finally heard from my older sister.  She made it out of Port St. Lucie and up to some family we have in NYC.  And now the great news. Friday her doctor called her and told her that she doesn't have

Posted Images

Let's get to talking then! Praying Irma does anything but make landfall, but getting prepared. We are highly considering packing up the TT and evacuating early. I'm hoping I'm wrong but I have a bad feeling about this storm, have talked to others today who feel the same.  Stores here in Manatee county are already out of water, propane and shelves are starting to get bare of everything else, and gas stations are packed.  Which is a good thing, means people are preparing. 

Fingers crossed that my mother's boss will excuse her from work, if so I'm really leaning towards just leaving. 

On another note of course there has to be a major hurricane a few days before we are supposed to go to the Fort! Haven't been able to use the TT all summer because I had family staying in it, they leave, I plan an nice 4 day weekend at the Fort to celebrate, then comes Irma! I didn't invite her, and definitely didn't order her a MB.

Smart to get prepared; she's a mean one...and definitely an uninvited guest.  I truly hope your mother's boss makes the wise choice to excuse her.  Better to leave early, than to wait and get stuck on the roads.  So sorry that this might derail your Fort trip...as I said, praying she'll stay out to sea or (at least) minimize greatly before making landfall.

Stay safe.  Keep us posted.

Went and filled the truck and two gas cans yesterday, set me back $60.  Will top off again in a couple days.

Got 3 cases of water and a variety of canned food.  Going to try to get propane tonight or tomorrow.

Our area is above any flood zones, so we should be ok, just depends on the wind.

We had a steel roof installed a few years ago, hopefully that'll help with any falling debris.

Everyone please stay safe!  If you are told to evacuate, please get out ASAP!

Even though we're roughly 150 air miles from the ocean, we're not immune to hurricanes here.  In 1989 Hurricane Hugo made landfall in SC and then went inland straight to us.  We were without power for 5 days.  Traveling around the city was impossible because of all the downed trees.  It looked like a war zone.  Our neighbor was in Colorado when the storm hit and came home to 11 trees down on his house.  

We're stocked up on water, food, batteries, gas, etc., and praying for everyone in the potential landfall areas.  

I was at Coronado springs for one Hurricane and the fort during another. Its a pretty helpless feeling to be stuck as a tourist during a hurricane. Get out as soon as you know you are going to be in an affected area. Its not fun and your a burden on the locals that have no place to go. Not saying its time to leave yet but in the next coming days might want to give some thought. If your at the Fort make sure your fueled up now. 

9 hours ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

If anyone on here evacuates up to the northeast Alabama area you are welcome to park at my shop. We have power and a dump station available.

Your offer is amazingly generous.  We're planning on parking our camper along the side my house (but far enough away it doesn't hit the house should things get really bad), hooked to the truck and with the stabilizers down and each solidly planted on a 4x4.  Clermont is pretty much in the middle of the state, and I'm expecting something along the lines of Charlie in 2004.

Gas stations here were bizarre this afternoon coming home from work, with long lines, no gas and even a three car accident in the middle of one RaceTrak station.  People are nuts.  I drove past the Celebration Publix this morning on my way to work and people were flocking out of the store with shopping carts overflowing with cases of bottled water.  They had no food or anything else, just cases of bottled water. 

All tolls in Florida are now suspended starting at 5PM today.  This will remain in place for the duration of the storm.

Please guys and gals, get out of Florida ASAP.  We keep looking at the models showing the likely path of Irma, and it seems only a remote chance of the storm missing Florida.  You don't want to be stuck on a highway when the storm hits, and I think more gas stations will be running low or out in the coming days.  God speed!

7 hours ago, djsamuel said:

Your offer is amazingly generous.  We're planning on parking our camper along the side my house (but far enough away it doesn't hit the house should things get really bad), hooked to the truck and with the stabilizers down and each solidly planted on a 4x4.  Clermont is pretty much in the middle of the state, and I'm expecting something along the lines of Charlie in 2004.

Gas stations here were bizarre this afternoon coming home from work, with long lines, no gas and even a three car accident in the middle of one RaceTrak station.  People are nuts.  I drove past the Celebration Publix this morning on my way to work and people were flocking out of the store with shopping carts overflowing with cases of bottled water.  They had no food or anything else, just cases of bottled water. 

All tolls in Florida are now suspended starting at 5PM today.  This will remain in place for the duration of the storm.

I've heard of many stories out of Florida like this, which at least show that people are taking the storm seriously (which is good), but some crazy stuff.  Praying for peace and safety for all.   I hope those that have cases of water, also have food, batteries, and other basic supplies.   Please be careful.

29 minutes ago, slices said:

Got gas last night, that was an experience.  I have a few 5 gallon jugs of water in. Will try and get more supplies and propane today.

Glad to hear that you got fuel.  Please be careful.

Continuing to pray that this storm pushes out to sea... please be safe everyone.

55 minutes ago, fotofx....Steve said:

Have two businesses and my home in Fort Lauderdale area. I was a police officer and worked Homestead during Hurricane Andrew so I have great respect for what these storms can do. Shuttered and supplied and just need to ride it out. Luckily my warehouse is big enough to get the RV inside.

Stay safe.  My husband was an officer during Andrew as well.  He said it was amazing to see the extent of damage, caused by  that storm.

Want to relate something I saw yesterday at a Wal-Mart that was either hilarious or very sad.

Store was being stripped of most "survival" items.  There was no water, Gatorade was filling carts.

I was leaving  and in the front of the store by the checkouts was a line of 30 or more people.

All they had in their carts were empty 1 and 5 gallon bottles.  They were in line to fill up from one of those pay for water machines.

Now I'll admit that Tampa's water isn't the greatest, but I would never stand in a line for probably 45 minutes to an hour to fill up water jugs, when I have running water at my home.

People are getting sucked up into the media frenzy and not using common sense.

The newest thing is filling up gallon baggies with water.  Why not use pots, go thru your cupboards looking for empty containers, or hit up a Dollar Tree or thrift store for some plastic containers.

I saw that a brewery in Orlando is telling people to come by and fill up containers from the filtered water vats they use in their brewing process.

48 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Stay safe.  My husband was an officer during Andrew as well.  He said it was amazing to see the extent of damage, caused by  that storm.

Beyond belief, there just is no other way to describe it. Pictures do not do justice. It was dangerous to drive a patrol car at night because wires would get caught on the light bar. It was so dark you just could not see anything. Very surreal.

26 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Want to relate something I saw yesterday at a Wal-Mart that was either hilarious or very sad.

Store was being stripped of most "survival" items.  There was no water, Gatorade was filling carts.

I was leaving  and in the front of the store by the checkouts was a line of 30 or more people.

All they had in their carts were empty 1 and 5 gallon bottles.  They were in line to fill up from one of those pay for water machines.

Now I'll admit that Tampa's water isn't the greatest, but I would never stand in a line for probably 45 minutes to an hour to fill up water jugs, when I have running water at my home.

People are getting sucked up into the media frenzy and not using common sense.

The newest thing is filling up gallon baggies with water.  Why not use pots, go thru your cupboards looking for empty containers, or hit up a Dollar Tree or thrift store for some plastic containers.

I saw that a brewery in Orlando is telling people to come by and fill up containers from the filtered water vats they use in their brewing process.

Whats funny is most of those machines are just connected to city water. If the volume of use gets too high without a filter change it is probably worse then city water.

As much as this is very very real and dangerous, there is an element of human nature that comes into play here, when someone says be prepared people panic.  People honking horns at gas stations isn't going to do any good.

We're as supplied as we're going to get at this point. Walmart looks like old mother Hubbard's cupboard, camping supplies are picked bare. Every where is out of propane. I've got friends who waited inline for 45 minutes for sandbags and have just now gone home as they have ran out of sand bags at  at least two of the locations distributing them here.

Looking at current projections we're likely to be ok and just get a lot of rain, prepared anyway.

26 minutes ago, slices said:

As much as this is very very real and dangerous, there is an element of human nature that comes into play here, when someone says be prepared people panic.  People honking horns at gas stations isn't going to do any good.

We're as supplied as we're going to get at this point. Walmart looks like old mother Hubbard's cupboard, camping supplies are picked bare. Every where is out of propane. I've got friends who waited inline for 45 minutes for sandbags and have just now gone home as they have ran out of sand bags at  at least two of the locations distributing them here.

Looking at current projections we're likely to be ok and just get a lot of rain, prepared anyway.

Looks like it's shifting more eastward, coming in near Miami skirting the coastline and leaving around Daytona.

European model forecast comes out around 2:00 PM.