No matter how you look at it, there is going to be a mess somewhere in this state.

Our Governor is a joke, he's stacked the higher offices with his pals that have no business running those departments, but that's another story.

But at the moment we are stuck with him and will have to suffer the consequences of his decisions good or bad.

The shortages are a combination of panic, greed, and like ImDownWithDisney said the "new  and better" way of retail marketing where the stores rely on historical data ... "Hey 4th of July lets get extra hot dogs" way of ordering and allocating manpower.  But when the supply chain gets a hiccup or breaks we are all screwed.

There was a great article about HEB stores down in Houston that I can't locate (though there are others out there) and it's amazing what they did during and after Harvey hit.  One thing is they flew their truck drivers in from San Antonio because the Houston ones were stranded by the flood waters. When they started relief efforts to Beaumont, it took the truck 18 hours to get there instead of 90 minutes.

I encourage everyone to google HEB articles and see how one of their managers took charge of the situation and got them back up and running.

They will need to cite those articles in future management classes.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here are a few pictures from yesterday: Entrance to the 100 and 200 loops: Newly paved road after sewer line repair: Damaged fence at Meadows Trading Post: Canal in

If anyone on here evacuates up to the northeast Alabama area you are welcome to park at my shop. We have power and a dump station available.

I finally heard from my older sister.  She made it out of Port St. Lucie and up to some family we have in NYC.  And now the great news. Friday her doctor called her and told her that she doesn't have

Posted Images

This is a big storm with the possibility of effecting most of the state in someway, did the governor react to early maybe but most likely not. Think about hurricane Charlie, it was supposed to make landfall in the Tampa Bay area. Ok great everyone here prepared, but many further south and through the center of the state did not prepare for the strength of storm that they got when it turned and went ashore in the Captiva area.  Yes it is an inconvenience to have schools closed, lines, gas shortages and it does make it harder for those who do need to evacuate, could it have been handled differently yes. Gas could have been rationed for those evacuating, with medical conditions that require generators, ect, but that would cause it's own problems. Waiting till last minute when there is a better idea of the storms path wouldn't have done anyone any good. 

This is a big storm with tropical storm force winds extending out far enough to effect all of Florida, so while we may not get cat 4 or 5 winds here we will most likely see tropical storm force winds if not hurricane force winds. Now think of all of those here and even closer in the center of the state that live in trailers older wood framed houses and such, tropical storm force winds can do a lot of damage not to mention the tornadoes that these storms can generate. So even if it does go in in Miami or skirt up the coast most of Florida will be effected, early warnings and a early state of emergency combined with Harvey being so recent has given people the time and foresight to prepare, while still giving the stores time to restock what they can. I know some of our stores are still getting daily deliveries. All of our cars are filled, I'm trying to drive as little as possible, so at this point I prefer the gas that is coming into Florida going to stations along the routes that people are taking to evacuate instead of here.  

It's better to have this all happening now instead of the day before the storm!   

Instead of people worrying about the inconvenience this is causing them they should be worrying about friends, family, co-workers, and neighbors that they can help or assist with a safe place to stay, ride out of town, to a shelter, whatever you can.  We have family and friends that will be with us as they live in flood prone areas and/or trailers.  (This was to no one in particular, just a general for everyone).

3 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Those who are praising the officials don't understand that our idiot Governor declared a state of emergency for the entire state two days ago. 

Ours declared one yesterday starting this morning. It isn't some official being an idiot. By declaring an emergency they can start activating emergency services and the National Guard. It also starts getting federal government agencies like FEMA activated. In our case it is also what gets emergency equipment such as generators and fast water rescue pre-staged to known problem areas saving time for when it is really needed. In NC it also has the effect of invoking anti-price gouging laws which is what keeps gas from shooting to $10/gal. On the other hand if the governor waited and things went to heck in a hand basket everybody would be yelling he should have acted sooner.

6 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Excellent post.

Those who are praising the officials don't understand that our idiot Governor declared a state of emergency for the entire state two days ago.  The idiots who run our schools have followed suit, and have overreacted by closing schools today and tomorrow in areas that will not even feel a breeze from this storm until Sunday at the earliest.  What are parents who work supposed to do about daycare?  Are we all supposed to drive north?  Where?  And where are we supposed to get gas?  All of the gas stations around me are out of gas. Will there be gas for us to drive back to our homes that are not damaged in any way because the storm isn't going to impact 90% of the state?  All of the stores around me are out of water.  Those resources would have been of great use to the first responders who will need to get to the areas that actually are affected.

Sheer and utter stupidity.

TCD

Well, one thing to remember about declaring states of emergency is that it stops the clock on a lot of things, and opens up access to federal aid. My understanding is that for schools they do not have to make up days during times when a state of emergency is declared for instance.

12 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Thanks Jason!  Interesting it doesn't mention that they're evacuating the Fort, just that it will be closed.  

Anyone there now happen to know if they're asking people to move their RVs out or allowing them to stay put?

If you notice the second paragraph talks about departing now to reach a safe distance or looking into relocating to another resort. I think it will be everyone out of the pool. 

I am currently watching the weather channel and they were showing a highway "close to Tampa" and the lanes heading north were bumper to bumper. The roads heading south had dozens of semi trucks on them. 

Hopefully they are bringing y'all much needed supplies  

1 hour ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

If you notice the second paragraph talks about departing now to reach a safe distance or looking into relocating to another resort. I think it will be everyone out of the pool. 

That's how it read to me too, but IIRC the last time something like this happened they specifically told people they had to get themselves and their RVs out, no ifs ands or buts, and anyone not leaving the area was directed to go park their RV in MK lot.  

3 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

Don't know if this has been posted here yet. 

Image may contain: text

Also Night of Joy on the 8th and MNSSHP on the 10th have been cancelled. 

Saturday. Wtf.   That's way to late to get a high profile rig safety out of the effected area.    Oh wait they just need you off the property so your no longer an issue.  

Seriously if you are still at the fort. Your risking a lot more then your own safety 

22 minutes ago, Andrew Roberts said:

Saturday. Wtf.   That's way to late to get a high profile rig safety out of the effected area.    Oh wait they just need you off the property so your no longer an issue.  

Seriously if you are still at the fort. Your risking a lot more then your own safety 

That's what I was thinking, by Saturday afternoon it will be to late. 

The Governor of Florida is limited to two terms.  He is in his second.  He no longer has a target constituency so I don't think he is pandering to anyone.  He is finally just doing his job.  If he does it well enough he might get another job in the federal government.  They seem to be having trouble filling vacant positions.  Any one who has stood in a line for anything in the days before this hurricane can attest, some people are not handling the stress well.  Cutting in line, arguing with other drivers about anything unimportant 7 days ago and making snippy comments about others, whether it is the clerk behind the counter or the Governor are just some of the panic attacks I've seen and I've seen a Tesla S in a line at my local Mobil station.  Cranky behavior is just one of the unseen effects of a hurricane bearing down on you.  Courtesy and compassion will prove much more valuable to you than trying to find someone else to blame.  Lets take that to the Debate page.  P.S.  In the history of the world I have never heard anyone complain about not having to pay a toll. 

The very best plans can be made to look bad by the reality of the situation.  I don't see how the governor could have done anything without having those that disagreed with him.  To evacuate or not to evacuate, he would probably have caught all manner of hell either way he went.  Personally, I think they should have ordered a stacked evacuation where the people in the earliest affected areas could get out first and then move on north to the next one likely to be affected.  Then again, there could be a case made to not order an evacuation in the first place. There are probably nearly as many differences as there are people that are commenting on it.

At the present, they are not expecting any difficulties to arise here in my part of the panhandle and all of the state employees and school children got to enjoy our beautiful fall-like day.  I am just waiting until the storm makes that right-hand turn and even after that, what direction it decides to go.  I don't want to have to board up, but anything can happen as most of you know.  I went to bed around midnight when Hurricane Ivan was coming and was aiming directly toward us only to awaken the next morning to find it had changed directions and actually came ashore to the west of Mobile, over a hundred miles from here.

Like some of the others, I am praying that it will take a much sharper turn and go out to sea, but one has to be prepared for anything.  At the present, it is possible that my Alabama home may get worse weather than here, but the worst part is the waiting to see what is predicted by Friday.  My philosophy is to get the best information you can and not wait for the government to tell me what to do when my life may be at stake. 

11 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Excellent post.

Those who are praising the officials don't understand that our idiot Governor declared a state of emergency for the entire state two days ago.  The idiots who run our schools have followed suit, and have overreacted by closing schools today and tomorrow in areas that will not even feel a breeze from this storm until Sunday at the earliest.  What are parents who work supposed to do about daycare?  Are we all supposed to drive north?  Where?  And where are we supposed to get gas?  All of the gas stations around me are out of gas. Will there be gas for us to drive back to our homes that are not damaged in any way because the storm isn't going to impact 90% of the state?  All of the stores around me are out of water.  Those resources would have been of great use to the first responders who will need to get to the areas that actually are affected.

Sheer and utter stupidity.

TCD

The schools were closed to start preparing them as shelters.  In Lake County they had to close them to begin preparing them as shelters; not only for Lake County residents but for people coming up from the south.  I don't think they are too concerned about daycare.

4 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

That's how it read to me too, but IIRC the last time something like this happened they specifically told people they had to get themselves and their RVs out, no ifs ands or buts, and anyone not leaving the area was directed to go park their RV in MK lot.  

I would hope they would take this approach again.  Allowing people to leave trailers in the campground invites extensive damage that is avoidable and unnecessary. Getting the people out will assure their safety - moving the trailers to a big open parking lot will assure they minimize damage to the resort. I don't see why they would leave them in place at the Fort. 

6 minutes ago, mickeyfan0805 said:

I would hope they would take this approach again.  Allowing people to leave trailers in the campground invites extensive damage that is avoidable and unnecessary. Getting the people out will assure their safety - moving the trailers to a big open parking lot will assure they minimize damage to the resort. I don't see why they would leave them in place at the Fort. 

I was in the 300 loop for Sandy. If you remember it pretty much missed Orlando. That being said I had to move to a different site due to trees swaying and hitting the sidewall of my camper.   The fort is pretty dangerous due to trees when the wind blows  if you have to stay and can't get out.   Definitely move your rig to a larger parking lot   And if it hits with 180mph winds it won't matter anyway. They will all be on their sides in a pile

I'm not really going to get into this post and start to rant and rave like I usually do. Whether the Governor is an idiot or not, we all need to pray.  This a monster record breaking storm. We will lose many lives and there will be catastrophic damage somewhere in Florida.  I have been through many hurricanes and I don't usually freak out, but this has me nervous. Many Floridians have put there guards down since we had so many quiet years. If you can leave and have no job commitments here, go.  Get out of this path. For those of us who need to be here to take care of those who can't take care of themselves, pray for us. Be safe and Godspeed 

10 minutes ago, Starbuc71 said:

I'm not really going to get into this post and start to rant and rave like I usually do. Whether the Governor is an idiot or not, we all need to pray.  This a monster record breaking storm. We will lose many lives and there will be catastrophic damage somewhere in Florida.  I have been through many hurricanes and I don't usually freak out, but this has me nervous. Many Floridians have put there guards down since we had so many quiet years. If you can leave and have no job commitments here, go.  Get out of this path. For those of us who need to be here to take care of those who can't take care of themselves, pray for us. Be safe and Godspeed 

That may have been one of your most positive posts ever. Seriously stay safe.