For any of you, who have any experience with the ones I listed, I am asking for help.  Tom has been fighting issues for several years and we're looking for thoughts/feedback.  Here's what we have:

1. 49 year old male
  2. Adopted, we know nothing of his genetic history
  3. 3 back surgeries, daily pain
  4. Not a heavy drinker.  Maybe 4 beers a month.  Don't know that I have ever seen him drink liquor, in the 21 years we've been together.
  5. Non smoker
  6. Not obese, but could loose 10-20 pounds to get rid of some belly (not a lot, just giving all information)
  7. Has had a couple colonoscopies and upper GIs over the past 6 years.  Polys, but no cancer.  Diverticulitis and gastritis. 
  8. Tries to limit the amount of Tylenol and NSAIDs he takes; but that can be tough as he's in pain daily
  9. Ultrasound showed fatty liver
  10. His platelets have been low in the past, those have come back up
  11. Cholesterol is getting a little high
  12. Between his back and a boss that is extremely difficult, his days are very stressful

ETA:  Gallbladder has been tested; looked fine. 

There may be more that I am forgetting to list :(  Today, his stomach pain was so bad, that he fells extremely nauseous (worse than normal).  I've insisted that he go to the GI and have them check out his pancreas.  Looking for thoughts from those of you Fiends, who have any input.

Thank you...

ps.  sorry, I know this isn't a "camping" issue, but wasn't sure where to put this post.

Has he tried to do a food reactivity test?  Pancreatitis and diverticulitis are often brought on / made worse by diet. The test is no fun, but it helped me identify foods that make me react.    Basically,  have him fast for a day.  During that day, drink only clear liquids ( can be any clear liquids, but have him monitor himself for any reactions.)

The next day,  he starts eating simple foods, one type at a time,  a different food per meal.   Example:  Breakfast - Eggs.   Lunch- Rice, Dinner - Beef.

The next day,  if no bad reactions,  add to them.  Breakfast - Eggs and bacon.   Lunch - Beef on Toast,  Dinner - Chicken and rice.

Keep adding one food at  a time, and monitoring how he feels.   He should react to a food within 1 to 2 hours of eating it,  so he will know what caused it.   He needs to keep a notebook of what he ate, so he can identify what caused the reaction.

My husband reacts badly to beef.   He knows if he eats it, he will have issues.  He has non-alcoholic fatty liver syndrome, too. 

I had huge issues with my gallbladder that cause major amounts of pain in my stomach and right side area.  Have they checked his gallbladder?  Mine, over the course of six months of worsening stomach attacks, simply died.  I had no stones or anything.  The doctors had trouble trying to figure it out, since it was not inflamed or anything.  On my last attack, I almost called an ambulance the pain was so bad.   A HIDA scan found the problem.  I had no reaction to the drug used to contract the gallbladder.  It did nothing.

I hope your husband's issue is found quickly.

40 minutes ago, Mrs.TN22 said:

has he ever had his gallbladder checked?  gallbladder issues can cause severe pain and nausea.

Yes, that's been checked out.  I want to say this past spring.  Thank you.

26 minutes ago, ThemeParkCommando said:

Has he tried to do a food reactivity test?  Pancreatitis and diverticulitis are often brought on / made worse by diet. The test is no fun, but it helped me identify foods that make me react.    Basically,  have him fast for a day.  During that day, drink only clear liquids ( can be any clear liquids, but have him monitor himself for any reactions.)

The next day,  he starts eating simple foods, one type at a time,  a different food per meal.   Example:  Breakfast - Eggs.   Lunch- Rice, Dinner - Beef.

The next day,  if no bad reactions,  add to them.  Breakfast - Eggs and bacon.   Lunch - Beef on Toast,  Dinner - Chicken and rice.

Keep adding one food at  a time, and monitoring how he feels.   He should react to a food within 1 to 2 hours of eating it,  so he will know what caused it.   He needs to keep a notebook of what he ate, so he can identify what caused the reaction.

My husband reacts badly to beef.   He knows if he eats it, he will have issues.  He has non-alcoholic fatty liver syndrome, too. 

I had huge issues with my gallbladder that cause major amounts of pain in my stomach and right side area.  Have they checked his gallbladder?  Mine, over the course of six months of worsening stomach attacks, simply died.  I had no stones or anything.  The doctors had trouble trying to figure it out, since it was not inflamed or anything.  On my last attack, I almost called an ambulance the pain was so bad.   A HIDA scan found the problem.  I had no reaction to the drug used to contract the gallbladder.  It did nothing.

I hope your husband's issue is found quickly.

Umm....thank you!  I've suggested that to him.  But, I'm not a doctor... just his wife ;)  I'll keep pushing for that.  Right now, I want to make sure his pancreas is not the danger (I'm pushing for some tests).  Yes, gallbladder has been tested.

1 hour ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Yes, that's been checked out.  I want to say this past spring.  Thank you.

Umm....thank you!  I've suggested that to him.  But, I'm not a doctor... just his wife ;)  I'll keep pushing for that.  Right now, I want to make sure his pancreas is not the danger (I'm pushing for some tests).  Yes, gallbladder has been tested.

Well, you can do a sneaky backwards food reactivity check.   Every time he has pain,  ask him what he last ate & drank for his last 2 meals and when.   Keep a record of it.   After 5 or six bouts of pain,  check to see if there is anything in common.   Then you can start removing suspect foods from his diet,  OR you can make a specific food you think is suspect, and see if he has an episode of pain.

7 minutes ago, ThemeParkCommando said:

Well, you can do a sneaky backwards food reactivity check.   Every time he has pain,  ask him what he last ate & drank for his last 2 meals and when.   Keep a record of it.   After 5 or six bouts of pain,  check to see if there is anything in common.   Then you can start removing suspect foods from his diet,  OR you can make a specific food you think is suspect, and see if he has an episode of pain.

Too funny... I've tried that (about asking), but I should try the foods I suspect and see if it makes him ill.  Haha... that's really terrible, but dog-gone-it, it may come down to that.

Depending upon where the back surgery was it is possible that it is nerve damage. One of my daughters had a collapsed lung and the treatment damaged the nerves for the ribs in that area near her spine. As a result she has permanent pain. Radiofrequency ablation helps for 6-12 months but a lot of insurance companies won't cover it for her condition so she has stopped having it done. 

Are you sure it isn't the Diverticulitis? A long term work friend of mine has this condition. He has tried dietary control with poor results and has decided to have surgery to remove the affected portion of the bowel.

54 minutes ago, keith_h said:

Depending upon where the back surgery was it is possible that it is nerve damage. One of my daughters had a collapsed lung and the treatment damaged the nerves for the ribs in that area near her spine. As a result she has permanent pain. Radiofrequency ablation helps for 6-12 months but a lot of insurance companies won't cover it for her condition so she has stopped having it done. 

Are you sure it isn't the Diverticulitis? A long term work friend of mine has this condition. He has tried dietary control with poor results and has decided to have surgery to remove the affected portion of the bowel.

I'm sure there is nerve damage.  When he had this last surgery (the big one, fusion), I sat there in the surgeon's office and had to make sure that the surgeon explained to him that while there was a chance that the surgery would help (which is did) that the reality is, he would have chronic back pain. I don't think that the nerve damage is causing his stomach pains however.  It's possible that yes, the diverticulitis has reared it's head again.... the GI doc (I think) is leaning towards the gastritis.  I'm starting to wonder about the pancreas.  His was diagnosed with a fatty liver (which I believe can be connected to pancreatitis) and one of his blood levels (cannot remember if it was the serum amylase or the serum lipase) was elevated at his last appt.  They pulled those blood levels again this morning and (since the first post) agreed to send him to an ultrasound.  They are going to look at his gallbladder, again... and (I'm really hoping) his pancreas as well.  

19 minutes ago, Beckers said:

Nacole I hope you guys can pin point the issue. 

Thank you... very much. 

I had my gall bladder out about 10 years after a major attack on Christmas Eve. I now know that my my attack was caused by some type of food allergy that I have developed out of nowhere and most likely was the problem due to the identical pain I still sometimes experience.  I can no longer eat hummus or regular chick peas, fish including tuna but not shrimp and guacamole. I have no idea why but when I do, I experience intense abdominal pain and what feels like a squeezing in my esophagus. I mean just one chick pea will bring it on. Very uncomfortable. 

Amazingly,  wings, pizza and mickey bars have no effect on me!

2 hours ago, PGHFiend said:

I had my gall bladder out about 10 years after a major attack on Christmas Eve. I now know that my my attack was caused by some type of food allergy that I have developed out of nowhere and most likely was the problem due to the identical pain I still sometimes experience.  I can no longer eat hummus or regular chick peas, fish including tuna but not shrimp and guacamole. I have no idea why but when I do, I experience intense abdominal pain and what feels like a squeezing in my esophagus. I mean just one chick pea will bring it on. Very uncomfortable. 

Amazingly,  wings, pizza and mickey bars have no effect on me!

That's really interesting...we have a friend, who developed a peanut allergy in his 40's.  Crazy stuff.  Thank you for sharing; I am curious food sensitivities/allergies with him.

NaCole, has he been checked for a hiatal hernia?  Mine ended me up in the ER a couple of times before my doctor figured it out.  I have a small hernia (worse than having a big one).  The edge of my stomach sometimes gets caught in my diaphragm, and the pain/nausea is bad.  Until I learned to control it with diet, doctor gave me pills to numb my stomach.

6 hours ago, PrincessNana said:

Try putting him on a gluten free diet. My nephew had all the same symptoms and test results. His wife decided to try a gluten free diet and all his symptoms have cleared up. Good luck.

Tried that, minimal improvement.  Thank you for the suggestion though!

43 minutes ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

NaCole, has he been checked for a hiatal hernia?  Mine ended me up in the ER a couple of times before my doctor figured it out.  I have a small hernia (worse than having a big one).  The edge of my stomach sometimes gets caught in my diaphragm, and the pain/nausea is bad.  Until I learned to control it with diet, doctor gave me pills to numb my stomach.

Interesting.  I know he's been checked in the past, but not sure if he's been checked in the past 5 years.  I'll ask him.  Thank you, Gwen.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 0:35 PM, Beckers said:

Themeparkcommando- your husband and beef, any chance he had a tick bite? There's a certain tick that causes an allergy to red meat and the reactions vary from stomach issues to full blown  anaphylaxis  

Well, we know about the lone star tick bite issue, but his symptoms are not life altering enough for him to feel the need for testing.  We just don't eat a lot of beef, and when he does want a steak or something, we know what to expect. 

Does the stomach pain decrease when he eats?  Your husband's symptoms sound eerily similar to a situation I had.  I had frequent stomach pain that culminated in a hospital stay about 3 years ago (I was 54 at the time).  Prior to that, my pain was initially diagnosed as gastritis and I was told to take Prevacid, which did help a lot.  Then in March 2014 I was in church and suddenly got very sweaty and cold, and felt like I had the flu.  My daughter wanted to take me to the hospital, but I went home since my wife was home not feeling well; I figured I caught what she had.  that night I passed out, but felt better in the morning.  By the next night, I passed out again and could not get up.  My wife called 911.  The EMTs came and said my blood pressure was 60/40.  I went to the hospital and they discovered I was bleeding internally from a ruptured ulcer.  I needed two transfusions, and a lot of intravenous fluid and acid inhibitor.  They put the camera down my throat and identified the ulcer.  I always remember the doctor coming to the bed and asking me if I took Excedrin or any other NSAID.  I told him I take Excedrin every day due to headaches and he said I won't be any more.  He said Excedrin and other NSAIDs cause a lot of damage to people.  I developed a fever in the hospital and they had no problem giving me Tylenol for that.  They said Tylenol does not affect the stomach like NSAIDs and is a very safe drug as long as the dosage limits are not exceeded. 

Have him get the camera down the throat to check for anything.  It was simple, not painful, and finally solved the problem.  I lost about 2 months of work to recover, but have been fine since, but have moved to NSAID free medication; including aspirin free Excedrin.

2 hours ago, djsamuel said:

Does the stomach pain decrease when he eats?  Your husband's symptoms sound eerily similar to a situation I had.  I had frequent stomach pain that culminated in a hospital stay about 3 years ago (I was 54 at the time).  Prior to that, my pain was initially diagnosed as gastritis and I was told to take Prevacid, which did help a lot.  Then in March 2014 I was in church and suddenly got very sweaty and cold, and felt like I had the flu.  My daughter wanted to take me to the hospital, but I went home since my wife was home not feeling well; I figured I caught what she had.  that night I passed out, but felt better in the morning.  By the next night, I passed out again and could not get up.  My wife called 911.  The EMTs came and said my blood pressure was 60/40.  I went to the hospital and they discovered I was bleeding internally from a ruptured ulcer.  I needed two transfusions, and a lot of intravenous fluid and acid inhibitor.  They put the camera down my throat and identified the ulcer.  I always remember the doctor coming to the bed and asking me if I took Excedrin or any other NSAID.  I told him I take Excedrin every day due to headaches and he said I won't be any more.  He said Excedrin and other NSAIDs cause a lot of damage to people.  I developed a fever in the hospital and they had no problem giving me Tylenol for that.  They said Tylenol does not affect the stomach like NSAIDs and is a very safe drug as long as the dosage limits are not exceeded. 

Have him get the camera down the throat to check for anything.  It was simple, not painful, and finally solved the problem.  I lost about 2 months of work to recover, but have been fine since, but have moved to NSAID free medication; including aspirin free Excedrin.

A friend of mine had the same thing happen to him. He and the doctor thought his stomach problems were from gastritis and he was put on a proton pump inhibitors. About a year later he was in the back of an ambulance and a spent couple of weeks after surgery in the hospital. 

My wife had acute pancreatitis after a botched gallbladder surgery, and now occasionally has recurrences. When it flares up she has pain in her upper abdomen (sometimes pretty severe), and usually a fever. We've narrowed down a few foods that tend to cause problems - really greasy foods mainly - and cut out alcohol entirely. Not really sure the food issues are related to the pancreas or the gall bladder.
Really hope you find some relief for your husband.

1 hour ago, hedg12 said:

My wife had acute pancreatitis after a botched gallbladder surgery, and now occasionally has recurrences. When it flares up she has pain in her upper abdomen (sometimes pretty severe), and usually a fever. We've narrowed down a few foods that tend to cause problems - really greasy foods mainly - and cut out alcohol entirely. Not really sure the food issues are related to the pancreas or the gall bladder.
Really hope you find some relief for your husband.

Thank you.  He's had several pancreatitis symptoms, but not a fever.  I'm now pushing fir the doctor to do an endoscopic ultrasound.  As I understand it, this should give the best image of the pancreas (and the gallbladder I believe).

5 hours ago, djsamuel said:

He has been scoped before (that's when the doc found the gastritis), but it's been a couple of years and his pain is only getting worse, so I think they need to do another....along with the ultrasound I mentioned above.  Because if the gastritis, he Is very careful about the amount of NSAIDs he takes.  80% of what he takes, Tylenol. The anti inflammatories are taken, maybe, once or twice a week.