Hi there!  I have a question and am trying to figure out where to address it so I thought I would try with the Fort Friends.  I was invited to a facebook event along with 3,000 other people for a kids night out event at FW to go on a hayride and enjoy marshmallows and a movie under the stars.  Having stayed at FW many times over the years and preparing for our next trip this December this event created by a private group concerns me.  Does FW allow events such as this to take place or is this entirely unsolicited and on the evening this is planned will the campgrounds be innundated with outsiders?  I know the movie nights have a tendency to be fairly crowded just with camp goers, I cannot imagine if the 500+people who have stated they are attending actually show up and are allowed into the resort.  I am sorry if this sounds like complaining but even though we only get to spend 1 or 2 week long visits at FW each year it feels like our home away from home when we are there.  I would hate for something like this to ruin some of the great events that are held for resort guests paying good money.  Thanks for your assistance and please let me know if you need any further info on the event or who I should contact as I would hate to see anyone's beautiful vacation at FW spoiled by a large group of squatters.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just want to throw this out there. Our last trip we were fortunate enough to stay at the Grand Floridian and their pools did not have MB scanners, anyone could walk in and out of either pool.

That's part of the problem. Any CM encouraging freeloading should be reprimanded and if it happens again fired. I have no issue if they wish to use the Fort in their off hours with their family and fr

Things like this bother me, not just at the Fort but anywhere. We visit other resorts while staying at the Fort and also when not staying on property. But we rarely have more than 5 or 6 people and al

Ah, freeloaders.

The Fort loves them.

They show up at the pool on summer days and weekends.  Take over the place, and then bug out.

There are mobs of them at Halloween.

Mobs. 

They aren't paying a dime to the Fort, but they show up and enjoy the decorations and the free candy that us generous campers provide.

It's a longstanding problem.

Why doesn't management do anything about it?

Ask them.

TCD

Sounds like something Disney isn't involved in, or possibly aware of... yet.  Some of us speculated last Halloween that Disney never publicly published the schedule for the golf cart parade or trick or treating, in part to deter masses of non-Guests from making plans to show up. 

One thing to consider - there isn't room in the parking lot for an extra 100 cars beyond registered guests when the Fort is full, much less many hundreds.  Also generally around big holidays when the Fort is full, they put out the "you must have a reservation to park here" sign.

So unless all these people plan to come in via other forms of Disney transport... not super difficult to do, but requires a bit more time/energy.

It wouldn't be hard for Disney to take control of stuff like this these days.  They can scan your MB in 2 seconds and tell if you should be there or not.  Question is, will they?

I guess time will tell but my suspicion is if they're not aware of this event already, they'll get wind of it well before Halloween.

Sadly someone on the event post said that she works as a cast member at FW and told people about the fact that when it gets full they will turn people without reservations away so they should just park at the TTC and take the boat or bus to FW so they can join the festivities....seriously! 

37 minutes ago, rdsclr said:

Sadly someone on the event post said that she works as a cast member at FW ...

That's part of the problem. Any CM encouraging freeloading should be reprimanded and if it happens again fired. I have no issue if they wish to use the Fort in their off hours with their family and friends but helping to organize large groups to take over the resort from paying guests is going too far.

Things like this bother me, not just at the Fort but anywhere. We visit other resorts while staying at the Fort and also when not staying on property. But we rarely have more than 5 or 6 people and almost always are eating, having drinks or shopping. I don't agree with these larger groups or planned things, if they want to enjoying the amenities at a resort they should make reservations or contact the resort and set up a special event. However that would mean they would actually have to pay for it. Will Disney do anything, probably not because that would involve upsetting someone who may come and spend money. What upsets me the most is these groups don't think about the people who they maybe disrupting or even preventing from enjoying the amenities that they paid for by taking over. 

Unfortunately security at Disney isn't well thought out or consistent. You get scrutinized like crazy before entering one of the theme parks. You can get hassled trying to enter a parking lot at Disney hotels (not all of them). But park your car at Disney Springs, use the FREE bus transportation and you have the keys to the kingdom-access to all the hotel/resort areas no questions asked. Once again its that false sense of safety fostered by Disney.  It really excels at "perceived" security vs "actual" security. Won't stop me from enjoying my visits to Disney but its definitely a place to use your "city smarts" and don't be foolish when it comes to you and your families safety. Would love to see one of the Orlando TV Station Investigative Reporters do a story on this. Definitely the type of "reality" publicity Disney doesn't like and would force their hands to address the situation. 

16 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

It wouldn't be hard for Disney to take control of stuff like this these days.  They can scan your MB in 2 seconds and tell if you should be there or not.  Question is, will they?

If I'm wrong please correct me. 

But the campfire is open to any guest who is staying at any Disney resort.   Just like YeeHaw Bob at POR.   So unfortunately if a few hundred of these 500 people are resort guests they have the right to go to the campfire.   it is going to be a big mess if all those people show up. 

Also IIRC many years ago we went to the Hoop Dee Doo and we  were told we could park and take the bus back.  I would imagine if drove to the Fort they would allow me to park, as a guest at another Disney resort,  and take the bus to the campfire. 

4 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

If I'm wrong please correct me. 

But the campfire is open to any guest who is staying at any Disney resort.   Just like YeeHaw Bob at POR.   So unfortunately if a few hundred of these 500 people are resort guests they have the right to go to the campfire.   it is going to be a big mess if all those people show up. 

Also IIRC many years ago we went to the Hoop Dee Doo and we  were told we could park and take the bus back.  I would imagine if drove to the Fort they would allow me to park, as a guest at another Disney resort,  and take the bus to the campfire. 

I believe you are correct about the campfire program being open to all of the various resorts guests.

But is it right?  That's a gray area.  Most resorts have some sort of evening program, like a movie on the lawn/beach, but I don't think they have characters visit.  Port Orleans and AKL have marshmallow roasts and they supply the sticks and marshmallows.  If you want s'mores you can bring your own or buy their kits.  Most of these programs are not as large/fun as the Forts and not as widely known.

And let's not get started on the pools.  The Fort is wide open to anyone and everyone.

Beach Club/WL are locked down.  Not sure about Poly/Contemporary.  I know FQ is gated but not checked.

With the rising prices for stays at the Fort, shouldn't we have a pool that is exclusive to registered Fort guests only?

10 minutes ago, Travisma said:

I believe you are correct about the campfire program being open to all of the various resorts guests.

But is it right?  That's a gray area.  Most resorts have some sort of evening program, like a movie on the lawn/beach, but I don't think they have characters visit.  Port Orleans and AKL have marshmallow roasts and they supply the sticks and marshmallows.  If you want s'mores you can bring your own or buy their kits.  Most of these programs are not as large/fun as the Forts and not as widely known.

And let's not get started on the pools.  The Fort is wide open to anyone and everyone.

Beach Club/WL are locked down.  Not sure about Poly/Contemporary.  I know FQ is gated but not checked.

With the rising prices for stays at the Fort, shouldn't we have a pool that is exclusive to registered Fort guests only?

I am probably going to hated for saying this but yes it is right that the campfire is open to all resort gues

Just like YeeHaw bob, or the savanah is open at AKL, or the lobbies during Christmas time at the deluxe resorts, etc.   if they make the campfire exclude for resort guests then they could do the same at other resorts  and we love to visit and use facilities at other resorts  

the problem in my opinion is when idiots try to have, what seems to be, a free event at the expense of others.     

And I agree that Disney needs to police the pools at the Fort.   

Btw the Poly has MB scanners at the pool entrance to help keep out non- Poly resort guests. 

16 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

I am probably going to hated for saying this but yes it is right that the campfire is open to all resort gues

Just like YeeHaw bob, or the savanah is open at AKL, or the lobbies during Christmas time at the deluxe resorts, etc.   if they make the campfire exclude for resort guests then they could do the same at other resorts  and we love to visit and use facilities at other resorts  

the problem in my opinion is when idiots try to have, what seems to be, a free event at the expense of others.     

And I agree that Disney needs to police the pools at the Fort.   

Btw the Poly has MB scanners at the pool entrance to help keep out non- Poly resort guests. 

My point is that most of the other nighttime "free" events at other resorts aren't as widely know or touted as the Forts campfire program.

Going to a bar/club environment where you will be spending $ to see entertainment is different than taking up space at a free program.

Lobbies/sightseeing is different than utilizing a resorts amenities such as pools, programs not in public areas.

It's getting harder to do different things at the Fort that used to be a no wait type of deal.  Now there are lines for the evening wagon rides, hard to get an uncomfortable bench at the campfire or a seat at the beach for fireworks, etc. 

And since the Fort has a limited amount of sites and these things didn't use to always be overcrowded, where are all the additional people coming from? 

I don't see a problem with resorts guests using the facilities nor as I said above off duty CM's. The problem is these Facebook organized gatherings are not resort guests but locals who abuse the situation knowing that nothing will happen to them. If it was just a few freeloaders I don't think most people would mind, if they even knew, but hundreds taking over the campfire or flooding Halloween is wrong and needs to be addressed. It wouldn't hurt anyone if guests were scanned for a valid MB, reservation or guest access to a camping site before being allowed into Fort activities. Even if is did result in some inconvenience it is far better for the guests than being crowded out by people who shouldn't be there to begin with.

16 hours ago, keith_h said:

That's part of the problem. Any CM encouraging freeloading should be reprimanded and if it happens again fired. I have no issue if they wish to use the Fort in their off hours with their family and friends but helping to organize large groups to take over the resort from paying guests is going too far.

Ha. Ha.

Based on my personal observations, the majority of the freeloaders at the pool on holidays like the 4th of July are friends and families of CM's.

Reprimanded?

Fired?

Management has to know about it.  Personally, I think that they encourage it as a perk for working at the Fort.

Y'all can dream on if you think it's going to change.

TCD

20 minutes ago, keith_h said:

I don't see a problem with resorts guests using the facilities nor as I said above off duty CM's. The problem is these Facebook organized gatherings are not resort guests but locals who abuse the situation knowing that nothing will happen to them. If it was just a few freeloaders I don't think most people would mind, if they even knew, but hundreds taking over the campfire or flooding Halloween is wrong and needs to be addressed. 

This exactly.

And question of right or wrong aside, it's a question of safety and liability for Disney and their guests.  The campfire can only hold so many people.  And Halloween is already crawling with people and golf carts and cars at the Fort.  Throw another 500 people on top of that, especially people that aren't staying on Disney property so have no vested interest in the place and Disney doesn't even know who they are,  and you increase the likelihood of bad things happening. 

Personally I think the campfire being open to any resort guest is fine - the programs at their other resorts are. But at the very least Disney should be checking to see if you're a guest of ANY resort and not part of a busload of people from a Facebook group.

The pool is another story - one we've beat to death repeatedly.  The other resorts have MB access for their pools and largely enforce it. The Fort does not.  They could, and should, but they still don't.  But again, a handful or even a dozen or 2 outside people coming in is one thing - hundreds is another.

Hmmm... I do have to wonder though, if (when??) Disney gets wind of this Facebook group, will that actually cause them to change anything this year? While they may not be quick to change anything to address complaints about stuff like this, they might if they think that the Fort's about to be invaded on arguably the busiest time of the year.

31 minutes ago, Travisma said:

My point is that most of the other nighttime "free" events at other resorts aren't as widely know or touted as the Forts campfire program.

Going to a bar/club environment where you will be spending $ to see entertainment is different than taking up space at a free program.

Lobbies/sightseeing is different than utilizing a resorts amenities such as pools, programs not in public areas.

It's getting harder to do different things at the Fort that used to be a no wait type of deal.  Now there are lines for the evening wagon rides, hard to get an uncomfortable bench at the campfire or a seat at the beach for fireworks, etc. 

And since the Fort has a limited amount of sites and these things didn't use to always be overcrowded, where are all the additional people coming from? 

First of all it's not ok for non-fort guests to use the forts swimming pools. And I never said that going to see YeeHaw bob or visiting a resort is the same as using another resorts pool.  

Im saying that, specifically, the campfire, wagon rides, should be open to all Disneyworld resort guests.    Just like other Free programs at other resorts  

Are you saying the that other resort guests should not be allowed at the campfire? 

"taking up space at a free program."

38 minutes ago, keith_h said:

I don't see a problem with resorts guests using the facilities nor as I said above off duty CM's. The problem is these Facebook organized gatherings are not resort guests but locals who abuse the situation knowing that nothing will happen to them. If it was just a few freeloaders I don't think most people would mind, if they even knew, but hundreds taking over the campfire or flooding Halloween is wrong and needs to be addressed. It wouldn't hurt anyone if guests were scanned for a valid MB, reservation or guest access to a camping site before being allowed into Fort activities. Even if is did result in some inconvenience it is far better for the guests than being crowded out by people who shouldn't be there to begin with.

12 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

This exactly.

And question of right or wrong aside, it's a question of safety and liability for Disney and their guests.  The campfire can only hold so many people.  And Halloween is already crawling with people and golf carts and cars at the Fort.  Throw another 500 people on top of that, especially people that aren't staying on Disney property so have no vested interest in the place and Disney doesn't even know who they are,  and you increase the likelihood of bad things happening. 

Personally I think the campfire being open to any resort guest is fine - the programs at their other resorts are. But at the very least Disney should be checking to see if you're a guest of ANY resort and not part of a busload of people from a Facebook group.

The pool is another story - one we've beat to death repeatedly.  The other resorts have MB access for their pools and largely enforce it. The Fort does not.  They could, and should, but they still don't.  But again, a handful or even a dozen or 2 outside people coming in is one thing - hundreds is another.

Agree X2

13 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

First of all it's not ok for non-fort guests to use the forts swimming pools. And I never said that going to see YeeHaw bob or visiting a resort is the same as using another resorts pool.  

Im saying that, specifically, the campfire, wagon rides, should be open to all Disneyworld resort guests.    Just like other Free programs at other resorts  

Are you saying the that other resort guests should not be allowed at the campfire? 

"taking up space at a free program."

All I'm saying is that it seems like the Fort Activities (maybe because they are better or unique) are more widely publicized than activities at the other resorts. Until we stayed at FQ, I didn't know they had a marshmallow roast.  We thought that only the Fort did that.

I don't think I've ever seen a FB post saying hey lets have our group all go to X resort for their movie on the lawn or go roast marshmallows at X.

If management suddenly started to have a large influx of guests showing up at their events, I can bet that they would start checking to see if they were a resort guest.

8 minutes ago, Travisma said:

All I'm saying is that it seems like the Fort Activities (maybe because they are better or unique) are more widely publicized than activities at the other resorts. Until we stayed at FQ, I didn't know they had a marshmallow roast.  We thought that only the Fort did that.

I don't think I've ever seen a FB post saying hey lets have our group all go to X resort for their movie on the lawn or go roast marshmallows at X.

If management suddenly started to have a large influx of guests showing up at their events, I can bet that they would start checking to see if they were a resort guest.

I don't think I've ever seen a Facebook group try this crap either. 

But I'm still not clear on whether or not you think the forts campfire should be for all Disney resort guests or just guests at the Fort???

because I think it should be available to every Disney resort guest.