I haven't stayed at the campground, but do get over to that area often. If you are wanting to be walking distance to the beach it's a nice campground. Also close to restaurants, and you are able to walk down to watch the cruise ships leave port, sometimes catch a submarine in Port and watch the various other boats and ships come and go. 

I have been wanting to check out Manatee Hammock campground. It's a Brevard county campground on the Indian River and US 1. Have driven through and though it's nothing fancy there is or was before Irma lots of trees for shade, a nice pool, and some sites with river views. It's probably as close, maybe a little closer to the space center but otherwise not really near much else. The surrounding area was very built up. 

we stayed there for 3 nights last December. Very close to the beach (across a parking lot!). Sites weren't very private but to be that close to beach, they were great. Bathrooms and showers were clean.  They have community fire pits. 

We also did the space centre. Arrive when it opens, it takes a full day to see everything!  I didn't know it was that big. Bring a packed lunch.  Two hot dogs and drinks cost us $20!

Not sure if you have kids, but the campground has a huge new playground. And my son loved watching the large cruise ships enter and exit port. 

I would return to this campground again!

Thanks. We do have a young son, who is fascinated with rockets and wants to check out the Space center. He also wants to see the ocean, and loves huge machines, like cruise ships. Sounds like this place would be the perfect fit. Hopefully Irma didn't do too much damage.  They are currently not taking reservations, and the park is only open on a limited basis. We'll see.  

11 hours ago, WrigleysWagon said:

Thanks. We do have a young son, who is fascinated with rockets and wants to check out the Space center. He also wants to see the ocean, and loves huge machines, like cruise ships. Sounds like this place would be the perfect fit. Hopefully Irma didn't do too much damage.  They are currently not taking reservations, and the park is only open on a limited basis. We'll see.  

Right after Irma I'm pretty sure it was closed due to damages.  Best bet is to check the county web site