First Timers - Help!

23 hours ago, Run_DMC1991 said:

What about October? Maybe a good compromise? My oldest sons birthday is in October so that might be a nice time to go 

We were at the Fort I think 2014 for Halloween.  During Trick or Treating it was sweltering, easily in the 80's.

That night a cold front moved thru, and we woke to temps in the 40's with a solid breeze for most of the morning.

By late morning it had climbed to 60 and slowly got warmer during the day, but dropped to the 50's that night.

The next day the temps started climbing and stayed in the 70's and 80's thru Thanksgiving.

So be prepared for anything.

6 minutes ago, Travisma said:

That's good advice for pretty much October through March in Florida.  :)

And I remember that Halloween.  It was gross.  That was the first week of our trip and we spent most of it sitting at the site trying not to move around.  We even ended up setting up the pool for the dogs in their pen.  LOL

Thank goodness it didn't last too long and the temps the rest of the trip were terrific.

5 hours ago, Travisma said:

We were at the Fort I think 2014 for Halloween.  During Trick or Treating it was sweltering, easily in the 80's.

That night a cold front moved thru, and we woke to temps in the 40's with a solid breeze for most of the morning.

By late morning it had climbed to 60 and slowly got warmer during the day, but dropped to the 50's that night.

The next day the temps started climbing and stayed in the 70's and 80's thru Thanksgiving.

That's funny. I think we went the first or second week of November. I remember having to buy sweatshirts for us all because I hadn't packed for colder weather. I must not have researched that well that year to know to have warmer clothes. 

I think we've decided since this is my boyfriend's first time in Florida period and the kids will still be younger (and whinier) that we're going to rent a condo this year offsite. That way after hot days in the park we can relax in the AC. Then once we have a few local tent camping trips under our belt, we can consider coming back to Disney and tent camping. 

1 hour ago, Run_DMC1991 said:

I think we've decided since this is my boyfriend's first time in Florida period and the kids will still be younger (and whinier) that we're going to rent a condo this year offsite. That way after hot days in the park we can relax in the AC. Then once we have a few local tent camping trips under our belt, we can consider coming back to Disney and tent camping. 

Sounds like a good plan!

1 hour ago, Run_DMC1991 said:

That's funny. I think we went the first or second week of November. I remember having to buy sweatshirts for us all because I hadn't packed for colder weather. I must not have researched that well that year to know to have warmer clothes. 

You never know in Florida, we are usually up there in early December. Most years it's been shorts and t-shirts weather other years we've ended up going to the outlets and buying warmer clothes or sweatshirts at Disney. 

If you're thinking of staying off property here's a link for a place we used to stay before we got our trailer.

http://www.lbvorlandoresort.com

They have 2 and 3 bedroom units some with fireworks view. Not a bad drive to Disney though S Apopka Vineland gets pretty backed up around rush hour time. The resort was always nice they have 2 pools, one with a pirate ship slide and bar. 

We also stayed here http://www.likitiki.com/?mkc=googleus a few times but the last time was probably 8 years ago or so and I think it might have still been the Ron John resort back then. It was nice and had a great pool for kids and bar for adults. 

Just a couple of ideas if you didn't already have something in mind. 

2 hours ago, Run_DMC1991 said:

Historically we always went down a week or so before Halloween or the second week of November. We have never had cold weather. It has always been high 70's to 80's, with low or high humidity depending upon storm activity. Even on the humid days it has been generally tolerable. Way back when the girls were little we would go when they were out of school in January. The worst we ever saw was low 60's which for the locals might be cool/cold but was very comfortable for us coming from mid-40's to low 50's.

It sounds like a good idea for the first time to stay in condo. You could also take the boats from the MK over to the Fort to get an idea of what it is like. Once there you can take the internal buses, walk or combination of the two to get around. You could also plan a meal at the Hoopty Doo Review, Mickey's Backyard BBQ or Trail's End restaurant for when you are there.