Question about Power Pole Location

Ok friends this should be an easy question for you guys.  I've booked a premium site, our 5er is 38' long and the 50 amp power connection in on the very back of the camper.  I currently have a 25' power cord and hope to pull my camper as far back in our assigned site as possible.  

Reviewing the site diagrams provided by the hard working fokes here I've noticed that the power and water connections tend to be toward the front of the sites.  Would I be advised to pre pruchase a 25 or 30 extension for my 50' plug giving me 50' + to work with?

Thx for all the help.

In most of the premiums, they are actually about mid way on the side. I carry a 25' 30 Amp extension just because I camp at other places besides the Fort, and it gives me flexibility. Sometimes I need the extra length. I also sometimes need the extra length at the Fort just because I like to move my little rig to the very back of the site and turn it sideways.......

I can't answer your question about RV sites. But it sounds like Carol already did. I can tell you that not all extension cords are created equal.   I had to replace a 50amp cord on my FIL's  houseboat. I just assumed all 50 amp cords would be the same. But they're not.  Sam were using 10 gauge wire and others eight, or six gauge wire.  Without getting too technical, but if you want me to do you can PM me and we can discuss it, without getting too technical, but if you want, you can PM me and we can discuss it,  The longer the run the harder and hotter an  electrical device has to work.  If you ever used a power tool with a long extension cord and you noticed the extension cord getting hot you've experienced it.   This can damage your ACs, pumps, and other electrical equipment.    So spend the money and my heavy duty extension cord. It could save you money in the long run.

57 minutes ago, bdm said:

Ok friends this should be an easy question for you guys.  I've booked a premium site, our 5er is 38' long and the 50 amp power connection in on the very back of the camper.  I currently have a 25' power cord and hope to pull my camper as far back in our assigned site as possible.  

Reviewing the site diagrams provided by the hard working fokes here I've noticed that the power and water connections tend to be toward the front of the sites.  Would I be advised to pre pruchase a 25 or 30 extension for my 50' plug giving me 50' + to work with?

Thx for all the help.

My 5er is only 30ft long but the cord is on the very back like yours.  We back in as far as we can and I have to use a 25ft extension.  I only carry the one extension and I don't think I've ever had an issue, of course I don't know how long your built in cord is.  I also have run the corn under the 5er at an angle to get the shortest route.  Now that I think about it I think i had to do that on our last trip in the 1000 loop because the site was long and the pedestal was far to the front.  Either way I made it work with only the 25ft extension so I think you'd be fine.

WBI

I think the pedestal location somewhat depends upon what site you end up in. The ones we are usually in have the power near the front of the site. We have a small trailer and can get by with a 25 ft chord but that leaves about 10 ft of open space between the end of the trailer and pad. If we had a longer trailer with that same inlet location we would definitely need an extension.

• 4 weeks later...

Now I have to go measure my cord.  Last time we were there, water was up front and power was at the rear.  We had to compromise on the parking location, but we made it work between cord and hose lengths and location of slide out clearances.

I can't recall what site we were in...my mind only goes back to just before lunch today... but there was the back side of a joint use CS behind our site and a paved walkway one side. Some day I need to go back and figure what sites we have been in over the years and make a list or spreadsheet.

Edited by Retired and Happy (Ken)
Added site info...or lack thereof.

I carry multiple water hoses, sewer line extensions, and an extra 25' power cord. I like to get the 5'er as far over to the non curb side as possible. Sometimes slide extension clearance dictates where we leave it on the pad. My water and power come off of the front right at the pass through storage too. I wish it was near the middle. It seems that I use my extra power cord more often than not.