Dogs to be allowed at some WDW Resort Hotels + Fort Wilderness Cabins

This is a pretty big change and include the cabins at the Fort -

Disney to allow dogs to stay at Walt Disney World Resort hotels

3 minutes ago in "Walt Disney World Resorts"

Beginning Sunday Oct 15 2017, Walt Disney World Resort will welcome guests – and their canine companions – to four resort hotels, Disney’s Yacht Club Resort, Disney Port Orleans Resort – Riverside, Disney’s Art of Animation Resort and the cabins at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground.

The new service permits up to two dogs per guest room. Each resort also offers easy access to outdoor pet exercise areas and green spaces with pet relief areas.

Dog lovers will find plenty of Disney amenities and special touches for their four-legged friends.

• At check-in, Pluto’s Welcome Kit includes a mat, bowls, a pet ID tag, courtesy plastic disposable bags, puppy pads and dog walking maps. Also included: a Pluto “Do Not Disturb” door hanger indicating to hotel staff that a pet is in the room.
  • Day care and other pet services are offered nearby at Best Friends, an on-property full-service pet care facility. Fees apply.
  • Coming soon – select pet merchandise at the four resort properties.

The resorts’ per night/per room pet-cleaning rates are:

• Disney’s Art of Animation Resort $50/night
  • Disney’s Port Orleans Riverside Resort $50/night
  • Disney’s Yacht Club Resort $75/night
  • Cabins at Disney’s Ft. Wilderness Resort $50/night

Dogs staying in a Disney resort Guest rooms must be well behaved, leashed in resort public areas and properly vaccinated. For more information about the new dog-friendly trial program, including other restrictions and policies, guests may contact 407 W-DISNEY. DVC Members should contact Member Services at 800-800-9800.

Article Posted: Oct 13, 2017 / 11:51am EDT

http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/walt-disney-world-resorts-information/news/13oct2017-disney-to-allow-dogs-to-stay-at-walt-disney-world-resort-hotels.htm

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I understand that. It's a shame that Disney management is once again so short-sighted about this.  It would not be that hard to designate pet cabins and non-pet cabins, and enforce the rules.  Bu

I forgot to post the most important photo of all- Rocky enjoying the cabin porch: Note that he is wearing his official $100 bandana. TCD

That is bizarre. Lol.  Omg.  It's amazing what the average person will spend on there fur baby. Trust me it's not just the 1%ers. There will be animals at ever resort.  Including the value resort

I'd bet it's across the boards no matter what.  That high a fee does 2 things - keeps the number of dogs actually at the resorts down while still allowing them to say they have dog-friendly resorts. 

It also covers the cost of the knuckleheads that will think "oh goodie, now we can bring our totally untrained, destructive-when-left-alone dog whom we plan to leave in the room while we go to the parks from dawn to dusk."

I'll be very interested to see how this plays out but realistically, a lot of hotel chains allow dogs these days, so it was probably only a matter of time.

41 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

I'd bet it's across the boards no matter what.  That high a fee does 2 things - keeps the number of dogs actually at the resorts down while still allowing them to say they have dog-friendly resorts. 

It also covers the cost of the knuckleheads that will think "oh goodie, now we can bring our totally untrained, destructive-when-left-alone dog whom we plan to leave in the room while we go to the parks from dawn to dusk."

I'll be very interested to see how this plays out but realistically, a lot of hotel chains allow dogs these days, so it was probably only a matter of time.

High fee???

What do you mean???

Look at all you get at check in for your little for baby.

There will be no knuckleheads that bring their dogs to the resorts. Are you kidding me! It clearly states and I quote. 

"Dogs staying in a Disney resort Guest rooms must be well behaved, leashed in resort public areas and properly vaccinated."

and you know how all Disney guest follow all the rules. 

The cleaning fee may be for a more thorough cleaning than a standard room. I know my daughter reacts to anything certain dogs has come in contact with, so for health reasons, for the next guest this may be why. Also, it may help discourage pets as well as looking like they accept them as well.

21 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

IMHO.  Disney is just asking for trouble. Between dogs tearing up the room, and barking all day because their owners have been at the park for 12 hours.   It's going to be a pain in the butt for CMs. 

And just wait till a little kid gets bit.  

I'm with Ray on this. It's a terrible idea. 

Looking at the "cleaning fee," it's not hard to figure out what the real motivation for this change is. 

TCD

Personally I like this, we have a well behaved dog, doesn't bark, doesn't go to the bathroom inside, chew or anything, just kind hangs out. She is used to going camping with us and gets very upset if I start to pack a bag and don't pack her things! There have been a lot of times we have wanted to go up for a night or two but haven't been able to get reservations at the Fort or haven't wanted to deal with pulling the trailer up for 1 or 2 nights, this will hopefully allow us to do that. 

When we stayed at POFQ after Irma there were a good amount of dogs there. Never heard any barking and everyone I saw picked up after their dogs. I did talk to one lady who said she had had her dog there but when some friends got their power back she had taken the dog to them because it didn't like being at the hotel. I hope people don't abuse this but I'm sure they will. 

30 minutes ago, Beckers said:

I can't wait to see how the enforce the 30 mins to deal with your barking dog.

Heck, I'd love to see them enforce that in the campsites!! 

But actually the fact that they're saying this up front is encouraging.  Hopefully it means they have a procedure in place for how they deal with things like this.  Then again, the pet rules the Fort has had forever also say that you'll be asked to deal with your disruptive dog and we all know how well that goes...  I guess we'll see!

However the fact that they've included a Deluxe resort on this list gives me some small modicum of hope that they really do intend to enforce the rules.  It's one thing when we lowly campers complain about a barking dog, it's another thing entirely when someone paying $400-$800+ a night for their room does.  

10 minutes ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Personally I like this, we have a well behaved dog, doesn't bark, doesn't go to the bathroom inside, chew or anything, just kind hangs out. She is used to going camping with us and gets very upset if I start to pack a bag and don't pack her things! There have been a lot of times we have wanted to go up for a night or two but haven't been able to get reservations at the Fort or haven't wanted to deal with pulling the trailer up for 1 or 2 nights, this will hopefully allow us to do that. 

When we stayed at POFQ after Irma there were a good amount of dogs there. Never heard any barking and everyone I saw picked up after their dogs. I did talk to one lady who said she had had her dog there but when some friends got their power back she had taken the dog to them because it didn't like being at the hotel. I hope people don't abuse this but I'm sure they will. 

I can only go by our experience with pet people camping at the Fort, but in all these years we've found that the vast majority of people are reasonable and responsible with their pets.  Of course it's the irresponsible ones that stand out, largely because their actions (or inactions) affect other people.  There's a potentially big liability that comes along with this for Disney, so I'd hope that they're equipping CMs with the training/tools to deal with the irresponsible people.

But again, other hotel chains (including at Universal) have been pet-friendly for years now.  They all somehow make it work, so I'd imagine now that Disney is finally following suit, they'll make it (mostly) work too.

The comments to that article are already suggesting some of the issues they are going to have to deal with, particularly people at those resorts who insist that they be moved because they can tell that a dog has previously been in the room and they are highly allergic. Smart on Disney's part because pet owners who will do or buy anything for little Bootsie are an untapped resource of $$$$. Note that there will be special pet merchandise at those resorts. I'm also waiting for cat lovers to demand equal time (or ferret owners, pot bellied pigs, etc.)  My crazy high energy poorly behaved little stinker of a dog would never meet the eligibility requirements so he's never going to Disney, but I look forward to seeing how this plays out. I do remember staying at a hotel once where a dog howled and cried and barked in a room on our hall for several hours one evening. It was annoying. 

1 minute ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

However the fact that they've included a Deluxe resort on this list gives me some small modicum of hope that they really do intend to enforce the rules.  It's one thing when we lowly campers complain about a barking dog, it's another thing entirely when someone paying $400-$800+ a night for their room does.  

This may sound bizarre, BUT I think this whole thing is so the hoity toity celebrities can bring their little yappers with them to the Yacht Club without any complaints from the rest of the world. I can see the 1% ers paying $50 a night for to bring "Chipper" with them to the Grand Suite at the Yacht Club, but I honestly can't see anyone that is paying for a moderate or a value do that.

It gets the folks who happen to glimpse someone with a pet at the Deluxe without complaining about "why can't I bring a pet". Why of course you can, and hand out the rules and the price sheet, and that shuts them up.

3 minutes ago, Seals said:

The comments to that article are already suggesting some of the issues they are going to have to deal with, particularly people at those resorts who insist that they be moved because they can tell that a dog has previously been in the room and they are highly allergic. 

Definitely a valid concern, but how do other hotels deal with this?  I would think the safest way is to have pet/non-pet rooms, but I honestly don't see Disney holding aside rooms like this when they're goal is to get "heads in beds."

3 minutes ago, Seals said:

I'm also waiting for cat lovers to demand equal time (or ferret owners, pot bellied pigs, etc.)  

I doubt they'll ever allow pets that can't/don't poop outside.  LOL

3 minutes ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

Most of Universals hotels are pet friendly. 

Yep!  And their charge is also $50.  However they say that they have pet/non-pet rooms, which would address the allergy concern.

Pet Policy
Special treatment for your furry friends begins at check-in. You'll receive a pet bowl and tag, welcome treat, local dog-walking routes and area pet services such as vets, pet shops, groomers and more. 

Pets are permitted for a $50 fee per night in a pet-friendly room category (if you book a non-pet room, you’ll be re-assigned one upon arrival) with no more than two pets in any one guest room. Please make arrangements with housekeeping for daily room cleaning during your stay. Dogs may be walked in designated places, and are not allowed at pool, lounge or restaurant areas. Should your pet’s behavior result in guest complaints, you may be asked to board your pet in an outside shelter. You must bring proof of your pet’s up-to-date vaccinations, as well as current records from a licensed veterinarian. Pet-friendly rooms include: 

Standard and Garden View Guest Rooms 

Please note that Club Level rooms do not participate in this program. 

1 minute ago, Seals said:

Remember this is Disney -- never say never!   

"For $150/night we will provide Angora with a bejeweled litter box and daily cleaning service." 

LOL!!!  Oh you wait, if this takes off, I won't be at all surprised if Disney starts offering an in-room pet sitting service.  For the low low price...  ;)