Dogs to be allowed at some WDW Resort Hotels + Fort Wilderness Cabins

6 hours ago, Travisma said:

If it works out for them I can see a large new line of pet supplies being sold at the resorts.

And of course concierge services at additional costs. 

Don't want to be back in 7 hours, we had board certified pampered pooch dog walkers/sitters for the low low fee of $30 per hour (minimum 3 hours).

Mickey Bars safe for fur babies, only $10.

The sitters isn't all that improbable. My sister has a couple of doggy daycare places near her. For a fee you can drop your dog off for a few hours or a day of playgroup fun while you do your thing. I could really see Disney doing this or making a deal with a franchise to do it.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I understand that. It's a shame that Disney management is once again so short-sighted about this.  It would not be that hard to designate pet cabins and non-pet cabins, and enforce the rules.  Bu

I forgot to post the most important photo of all- Rocky enjoying the cabin porch: Note that he is wearing his official $100 bandana. TCD

That is bizarre. Lol.  Omg.  It's amazing what the average person will spend on there fur baby. Trust me it's not just the 1%ers. There will be animals at ever resort.  Including the value resort

2 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

I believe I saw there is an option to have Best Friends booked to come over and walk the dog for you. I dont have time at the moment to try and dig up where I saw that. 

Added revenue stream. :)

13 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

I believe I saw there is an option to have Best Friends booked to come over and walk the dog for you. I dont have time at the moment to try and dig up where I saw that. 

I can totally see that being doable, especially with Best Friends being so close.

10 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

I wonder if Disney makes money on it though or just Best Friends. Since they are a separate company. Probably both. 

I'd be willing to bet there's some kind of licensing or referral fee or something - kind of like what they did with the approved vendors at the Fort.   I'd be willing to bet Disney has some specific requirements as well - especially since they're allowing people into Guest rooms and there's some liability attached.

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 9:05 PM, Katman1356...Jason said:

Portorleans.org shared a copy of the agreement over at Riverside. 

http://www.portorleans.org/Disney's-Port-Orleans-Resort-Riverside_Pet-Agreement_13-Oct-2017.pdf

DISNEY'S PORT ORLEANS RESORT - RIVERSIDE PET AGREEMENT (This agreement applies to domesticated dogs only, other than Service Animals) The hotel may accommodate my pet in the room provided that my pet is fully trained and appropriately restrained by me. The hotel allows no more than two domesticated dogs per room. In consideration for the hotel permitting me to keep my pet in the room assigned to me, I hereby agree to the following: 1. I agree to pay a non-refundable fee for my pet of $50 (plus tax) per room, per night.

2. I understand that additional fees may apply if any damage is found in the room upon check out. I agree to accept full responsibility for any and all damages and/or soiling caused by my pet during my stay, as determined within the sole discretion of the hotel. I agree that the costs for the repair and/or additional cleaning requirements (including labor) will be charged accordingly to my hotel folio.

3. I understand and agree that the hotel retains the right to exclude my pet if, in the hotel's sole discretion, my pet is considered dangerous by reason of size, disposition or is likely to frighten or harm other guests of the hotel. I agree that at all times while on hotel property I will ensure my pet complies with all relevant laws and regulations. I agree that if I do not adhere to these policies, I will be required to board my pet at my own expense.

4. I must keep my pet restrained on a leash or in a pet carrier when my pet is outside my guest room. Unattended pets may be removed from the property at the expense of the pet owner.

5. I must not leave my pet in my room unattended for more than 7 hours.

6. I must always display a Pluto’s Do Not Disturb sign to alert Cast Members that a pet is in residence inside a guest room.

7. I agree that I must have a pet carrier available for each pet in case of an emergency and/or if I need to use transportation services.

8. I am responsible for my pet's proper care, behavior and pet waste maintenance throughout the hotel and on the grounds. I am responsible for cleaning up after my pet on hotel property.

9. I agree that I am responsible for the noise my pet creates and will ensure that my pet does not disrupt the quiet enjoyment of other hotel guests. I agree that should the hotel determine in its sole discretion that my pet is objectionable to other hotel guests, I must immediately make other arrangements to house the pet outside the hotel.

10. I agree to provide the hotel with my cell phone number enabling them to reach me in case I am not in the room and my pet is creating a disturbance. Should the hotel need to relocate my pet, all costs associated with the relocation of my pet will be charged accordingly to my hotel folio.

11. I understand that pets are not permitted in Walt Disney World® Resort theme parks and water parks or the Disney Springs® area.

12. I understand that pets are not permitted in Food and Beverage, Club Lounge, Pool or Fitness Center areas.

13. I understand that pets are not permitted on any furniture anywhere on the premises.

14. I understand that the bathing and grooming of pets is not permitted in the guest room.

15. I agree to contact the Housekeeping department to arrange for a convenient time to service my room. The hotel will not attempt to service the room if I am not present and my pet is in the room.

16. I understand that all pets must have up to date vaccinations and inoculations and I must be able to show records of such vaccinations and inoculations upon request. Requirements: DHPPv/DA2PPv, Rabies and Bordetella.

17. I understand and agree that if my pet is involved in an incident involving a bite and current rabies vaccination cannot be verified, it may be necessary to quarantine my pet, subject to the discretion of the local health authority.

18. I release Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., Disney Destinations, LLC, Disney Vacation Development, Inc., Disney Vacation Club Management Corp., and their respective parent, subsidiary and other affiliated or related companies, and the officers, directors, employees, agents, contractors, sub-contractors, representatives, successors, assigns and volunteers of each of the foregoing entities (the "Released Parties") from any and all liability for any injury and/or damage suffered by my pet. I agree that I assume full responsibility for any injury or damage caused or alleged to be caused by my pet and incurred or alleged to be incurred by any guest, employee, contractor or invitee of the hotel. I agree to release, indemnify, defend and hold harmless the Released Parties from and against any and all alleged or actual losses, claims, damages, liabilities, costs and expenses (including attorneys' fees and court costs) suffered by the Released Parties or asserted by any other hotel guest, invitee, employee, contractor or other person arising out of or in connection with my pet's stay at the hotel, including from any alleged negligence of the Released Parties. I have read, understood and agreed to the above:

Guest's Name (printed):______________________________ Guest's Signature:__________________________________ Emergency Contact Cell Phone Number: _________________________ Room#______________ Date: ______________

This document carries about the same amount of worth that the rules for the Fort golf carts do...

• 1 month later...

I have a first-hand report about having a dog at the cabins.

The TCD gang made a quick two night visit over Thanksgiving.  Just Wednesday and Thursday nights.

I would have liked to stay longer, but we had to pay rack rates for the cabin, and they are expensive.  Plus, we did have to pay the $50 per night pet fee on top of that.

I checked in on Wednesday, November 22, at just before noon.

I did not do online check-in, but it was offered to me.  I wanted to check-in in person, so I would be sure to get the pet goodie bag that is part of the deal.

This is what the Disney Parks Blog says about that:

At check-in, Pluto’s Welcome Kit includes mat, bowls, a pet ID tag, courtesy plastic disposable bags, puppy pads and dog walking maps. Also included: a Pluto “Do Not Disturb” door hanger indicating to hotel staff that a pet is in the room.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/10/dogs-welcome-at-select-walt-disney-world-hotels-starting-oct-15/

And this is what I got:

IMG_2394_zps4ouq23tj.jpg

All of the stuff you see on the table was inside the yellow bag.  There was no pet ID tag, but there was a bandana.  There was one "puppy pad," and the bowls were suitable for a small dog.

As far as them keeping dogs on certain loops, I was assigned to the 2600 loop, and the CM told me that they did not have any open cabins on the two designated dog cabin loops. 

I was required to sign this pet agreement:

IMG_2425_zpsh67j17qp.jpg

And they gave me this set of rules for the dog park:

IMG_2426_zpsrdtuv7ne.jpg

This is the "Pluto" "Do Not Disturb" door hanger.  I don't see anything about Pluto on it:

FullSizeRender_zpsddpxqqzn.jpg

As everyone here already predicted, there were dogs on all of the cabin loops.  There were dogs in the cabins on both side of our cabin. 

Fortunately, all of the dogs around us were well behaved, and we had no incidents.  One of the dogs next door barked at anything that walked by, but other than that, it was quiet.  I did hear some loud and constant barking coming from a neighboring loop, though.

For us, the experiment was a success.  It's way overpriced though, so I am not sure that we will be doing this very often.

TCD

Glad it worked out for you, I wondered about online check-in. Didn't see any dogs in the 2700 loop. However I went over to Port Orleans Riverside and while I was eating breakfast there saw a dog in the food court. Also saw a dog at Disney Springs.ba73eec680009861a1fe796e8e140d75.jpg026a2b3e04d22096a1a6c4f4bc4eac1a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

As far as them keeping dogs on certain loops, I was assigned to the 2600 loop, and the CM told me that they did not have any open cabins on the two designated dog cabin loops. 

So did they put you in a dog cabin loop or non-dog loop? I'm just curious to see if they will enforce the pet rules any better than they did when they still had designated pet camping loops.

18 minutes ago, keith_h said:

So did they put you in a dog cabin loop or non-dog loop? I'm just curious to see if they will enforce the pet rules any better than they did when they still had designated pet camping loops.

I don't think there are any "dog cabins."  I think they will stick dogs anywhere.  I did note that on the 2600 loop, those of us with dogs did seem to be clustered together, but I think that was coincidental. 

Another thing that may or may not be significant is that our cabin did not have the decorative rug that is part of the décor in the refurbished cabins.  Again, that could be a coincidence, or maybe they have removed the rugs from the cabins they are going to use for dogs.

Based on what I saw, and how the CM at check in acted very nonchalant about putting me in the 2600 loop, I think they are treating the cabins like they did the camping loops when they had designated pet loops- i.e. dogs can go anywhere and everywhere.

TCD

1 hour ago, slices said:

Glad it worked out for you, I wondered about online check-in. Didn't see any dogs in the 2700 loop. However I went over to Port Orleans Riverside and while I was eating breakfast there saw a dog in the food court. Also saw a dog at Disney Springs.ba73eec680009861a1fe796e8e140d75.jpg026a2b3e04d22096a1a6c4f4bc4eac1a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I thought both of those we no no's?

42 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Maybe those are service dogs.

Like this puppy sitting on his owner's lap heading in to Animal Kingdom:

dog%20in%20ak_zpsavdurx54.jpg

TCD

Well the one at DS doesn't seem to be on a leash.

And I thought I read in the rules that dogs can't be in the food/common areas?  Not sure if that pertains to service dogs, but these don't look like service dogs... maybe "comfort dogs"?  But I don't think they are treated the same as service dogs... but I'm not a legal expert.

3 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

IMG_2426_zpsrdtuv7ne.jpg

TCD

Something ssems odd to me on the dog park rules.

No. 11 says no food, snacks, or treats (for human or pet consumption) are permitted in the dog park.

I thought having dog treats in your pocket to give to pets as positive reinforcement for good behavior was a thing? (I don't have any pets, but every time I see pets and animals with handlers on TV, they get fed little treats constantly).

So if you are taking your dog to the dog park to let them run off steam and they behave appropriately, you can't give them a treat till you get back to your camper?

5 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

Something ssems odd to me on the dog park rules.

No. 11 says no food, snacks, or treats (for human or pet consumption) are permitted in the dog park.

I thought having dog treats in your pocket to give to pets as positive reinforcement for good behavior was a thing? (I don't have any pets, but every time I see pets and animals with handlers on TV, they get fed little treats constantly).

So if you are taking your dog to the dog park to let them run off steam and they behave appropriately, you can't give them a treat till you get back to your camper?

I think it has to do with other dogs that are at the dog park. No telling how an unknown dog might react to the smell or sight of food. I know the miniature dachshund we had when I was young was very protective of any food or animal product chewy to the point it would attack another dog if it were too close. On the other hand the German Shepard I owned in high school could have cared less.  

10 minutes ago, tink said:

We stay in the cabins. I don’t want to risk dog hair, or barking. We want quiet. I love all animals. I have a dog that I place in a daycare when I’m vacationing. Good get-away for me and my pet.

I understand that.

It's a shame that Disney management is once again so short-sighted about this.  It would not be that hard to designate pet cabins and non-pet cabins, and enforce the rules.  But, once again, we see them taking the cheap and easy way out, and letting anything go.  Clearly, they don't care if they lose a segment of their business or loyal customers, because they're blinded by the easy money they can rake it by letting pets in the cabins.  They never think about the long-term costs.

TCD

Thanks for the report, TCD!

22 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Another thing that may or may not be significant is that our cabin did not have the decorative rug that is part of the décor in the refurbished cabins.  Again, that could be a coincidence, or maybe they have removed the rugs from the cabins they are going to use for dogs.

That would be smart if it was intentional.

20 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

15 hours ago, keith_h said:

I think it has to do with other dogs that are at the dog park. No telling how an unknown dog might react to the smell or sight of food. I know the miniature dachshund we had when I was young was very protective of any food or animal product chewy to the point it would attack another dog if it were too close. On the other hand the German Shepard I owned in high school could have cared less.  

What Keith said.  Too much or a risk of a dog that resource guards food from another dog starting trouble.  We use treats as reinforcement for good behavior for our dogs, but I'm glad they're not allowed in the dog park.  The frisbee/ball is reward enough for them when we're there anyway.

We've run into mostly smart/considerate dog owners at the dog park over the past month.  But I really truly wish that parents that bring their kids in pay more attention and don't let them just run around chasing other people's dogs.  We've actually run into a couple of cases where the kids were in there without parents or a dog of their own, presumably to go play with other people's dogs?? (sigh)

On the plus side, we ran into a 6 and a 10 year old - both very polite - who turned out to have excellent frisbee throwing skills.  :)

Two things I forgot to mention:

1.  I was not asked for vaccination records at check in.

2.  I received a Disney Survey yesterday.  In addition to the standard questions, there was a new one asking if we had a pet with us in the cabin.  I answered yes, and I expected some follow up questions, but there were none.  So the question apparently was geared toward cabin guests who did not travel with a dog- I suspect there were follow up questions asking about any negative impact from having dogs in the cabins.  It's good that they are asking actual guests for their feedback.  Hopefully, if there are problems, they will be addressed.  I doubt it, but at least they appear to be trying.

TCD

This is a long article, but the link didn't work.

While this isn't a legal Tome, I think it highlights some of the " service animal issues" that can be blamed right on the  various government agencies that muddle the rules.

Phony service dogs pose real problems

Owners of Legitimate dogs say when fakes misbehave, they hurt the whole concept,

Kansas City Star

The unleashed dog lunged from the woman’s lap and right at Andy, Michaela Chase’s dog.

“It was going for blood,” Chase said, thinking back to the narrow waiting room at her physical therapy gym in Lincoln, Neb. “It was in full attack mode.”

Shielded by Chase’s wheelchair, Andy avoided the other dog, which had a tag on its collar that said “service dog.” But though there was no fight, the damage was done.

“It really ruined Andy,” Chase said of her service dog trained by Paws for Freedom in Tonganoxie, Kan. Andy — the victim of a fake service dog, Chase said — now distrusts other dogs. He’ll even bark at other service dogs.

Fake service dogs are essentially untrained pets wearing vests or tags purchased online so Fido can tag along, too. They’ve become the bane of those who rely on trained service dogs to deal with disabilities.

Service dog owners take video of ap- parent impostors tugging at leashes in malls, groceries and other public venues. They record threatening fakes and describe attacks on their dogs.

Bloggers rail about fakes and fakers making people suspicious of real service dogs.

“When the fake service dog acts out, it hurts those that are legitimate,” said Sandy Bartkoski, co-CEO of KSDS Assistance Dogs in Washington, Kan.

Yet, trainers and advocates say there is no organized push to cinch up legislative loopholes that leave fakes largely unchecked or to resolve contradictions in federal laws that add to the confusion about what's real and what's not.

The result is an honor system that allows fakers as much easy access as owners of real service dogs.

Merchants say they're largely powerless in the presence of a fake. If someone says their dog is a service dog, there's little room to challenge them.

Online sites sell 'service dog' vests and tags, issue certificates denoting an animal as a service dog and operate service dog registries - all designed to make any animal appear to be a service dog. Packages range from $50 to $250.

All fake.

'These documents do not convey any rights under the federal Americans with Disabilities Act, or ADA, and the Department of Justice does not recognize them as proof that the dog is a service animal,' said the civil rights division of the U.S. Department of Justice in its answers to frequently asked questions about the act.

But there they are, and some sellers make little secret of the notion that they're selling imagery rather than legitimacy.

Professionally trained service dogs help people with impaired vision or hearing, seizures, diabetes, autism, Alzheimer's and other conditions. Trainers may need years to turn puppies into focused animals able to handle any social or physical situation they encounter while performing specific tasks for owners.

Personality even comes into it. A guide dog needs to be assertive, ready to stop its owner from doing something that will put them in danger.

Josh Lewis, 40, has lived with the after-effects of a brain aneurism for more than a decade. Six months ago, his life got a little easier.

Bing came into it.

'I don't go anywhere without him,' Lewis said of the sleepy looking Labrador retriever at his feet.

The dog works quietly and stays out of sight, perhaps under the table, when they're out. Off duty, he's a dog keen on tug of war, fetch and other playtime fun.

Bing helps Lewis walk, made difficult by paralysis on his right side. Lewis has been able to put away his cane and he walks faster with Bing.

A list of 19 short commands include 'brace' to take Lewis' weight if he needs help getting up, 'step one' to go up or down one stair and 'tap it' to open electronic doors designed for easy access.

Lewis got his service dog free from KSDS Assistance Dogs. But training is expensive.

'Our dogs are around $25,000 when they leave,' Bartkoski said. 'We've given somewhere around $14.3 million in dogs away.' Other dogs don't require the precise training that service dogs need.

Passive dogs are well suited to another role, that of therapy dogs that might work in facilities. They work at or visit schools, nursing homes and other sites that permit them, often providing calming and therapeutic time with individuals or groups. Facility dogs help the public generally but are not covered by public access rights that apply to service dogs.

Then there is a third category: emotional support animals. These may be dogs, cats or other animals that provide comfort by their presence and generally aren't trained for that job. A federal aviation law recognizes emotional support animals and protects their owners' right to fly with the animals in the cabin, though the airline requires documentation as proof.

The ADA says anyone can train their dog, or miniature horse, to perform a task that mitigates or helps them with their disability. Professional training is not required. It also specifically prohibits cities, merchants and others from requiring proof that a dog is a service dog. It allows, in fact, only two questions.

Is the dog a service animal required because of a disability?

What work or task has the dog been trained to perform?

Service dog owners may not be asked about the nature of their disability. They may not be required to provide documentation of the dog's training. Nor may they be asked to demonstrate the work the dog is trained to do.

All this helps ensure that Americans who rely on service dogs have the same easy access as anyone who walks up to a salad bar, into a bowling alley, through grocery aisles or onto an airplane. But it relies on the honor system.

Often the public and even fakers don't know the difference.

For example, one woman posted a video in which she confronts a man with a dog in a shopping cart. The dog's vest says 'service animal' but the man says the dog just makes people happy and that he bought the vest just to take the dog into stores.

'You know that's illegal,' she says