How was halloween this year?

Last time I was there was in 2015 (on halloween that is)

It was almost scary the they the locals took over the fort. We vowed to never return for Halloween again.  Now we miss it because we have been there at least 5 time prior and it used to be a lot of fun.

(a guy actually told me they were going to return and steal my decorations) left a lasting impression

Just wondering if it got any better

This year was rather quiet. Being a Tuesday Night played a big part in that, I believe. The most rowdy Halloween's are the ones that fall on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday night. At first look for this year, it appeared that the Fort management tried to downplay "Camp-or-Treat" as they named it, this year. But then on Halloween night they closed down the main road, Fort Wilderness Trail, from the intersection with Peacock Pass to the 4 way stop at Frontier Way and Big Pine Trail to turn the small meadow at the Hitch/Unhitch area into a parking area complete with porta-pottys and a hand washing station. They then laid out tape arrows on the roads to try and direct the flow of "Camp-or-Treators" through the various loops. We were in the 1700 loop and saw an estimated 400-500 kids this year. 2 years ago we saw over 1,000 kids in the 500 loop with that being a Saturday night. We sat out last year and missed it so much that we made sure to go back this year and will be there again next year as well. Come on and have fun and don't let a few rowdies scare you away.

We were in the 900 loop for Halloween this year.  During the day, we had an opportunity to talk with a CM who identified herself as being in charge of "traffic flow" that day and evening.  She told us that this year, because of the problems identified in the past, if you did not camp at the Fort or could prove that you had reservations at the Hoopie, Mickey's BYB, or Trail's End, you would NOT be permitted to enter the grounds.  She noted that there would be security at all entrances to the Fort, including the boat dock, and Disney Security would be backed up by the Orange County Sheriff.  We did not see the numbers of kids we thought we would see, based on the stories of past years.  After, TOT. we walked over to 1600 - 1700 loops to see some of the sites, and indeed, the Orange Co. Sheriff was there helping move traffic from out of the quad loops to the main road.  Hopefully, the idea of keeping "outsiders" out of the Fort this night will continue in the future. 

On 11/10/2017 at 10:01 AM, Specularius said:

But then on Halloween night they closed down the main road, Fort Wilderness Trail, from the intersection with Peacock Pass to the 4 way stop at Frontier Way and Big Pine Trail to turn the small meadow at the Hitch/Unhitch area into a parking area complete with porta-pottys and a hand washing station. 

This jumped out at me. If it's true that no one was allowed to enter the Fort if they weren't campers, or had reservations for Trails End, etc, then why would they need all that extra parking? Why were that many cars being allowed in? And supplying Porta Potties? Hand washing stations?

If you are driving a car to Fort Wilderness on Halloween there is an excellent chance that you are either staying off-property or live locally and are bringing your kids to TOT at the Fort.

This sounds like another one of Disney's patented "please obey our rules, but while you're breaking them make sure you spend lots of money at the gift shop!"   :wacko:

It was a lot of fun and not crazy. We only had about 300 - 400 TOT'ers. Didn't see any crazy traffic jams like I expected to see. Took the kids to four different loops and all were tame and easy. There were so many fun and friendly people. We even had a girl play a song from Beauty and the Beast on her violin for us. She was fantastic! That just shows how unhurried it all was. 

3 hours ago, Avatab.... Steve said:

This jumped out at me. If it's true that no one was allowed to enter the Fort if they weren't campers, or had reservations for Trails End, etc, then why would they need all that extra parking? Why were that many cars being allowed in? And supplying Porta Potties? Hand washing stations?

If you are driving a car to Fort Wilderness on Halloween there is an excellent chance that you are either staying off-property or live locally and are bringing your kids to TOT at the Fort.

This sounds like another one of Disney's patented "please obey our rules, but while you're breaking them make sure you spend lots of money at the gift shop!"   :wacko:

Actually, I think that's where they had the "Golf-Cart" Drive-In Theater, therefore the PortaPotties. We never left the loop Halloween night, so I can't confirm it, but it was very calm that evening.

I think the porta-potties and hand washing stations were for the drive in set up near the hitch/unhitch area of the main road.  We really did not see the crowds we expected from the posts relating stories of years gone by.  My sense is that Fort management did a good job of crowd control and followed their own rules this night.

1 hour ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

Actually, I think that's where they had the "Golf-Cart" Drive-In Theater, therefore the PortaPotties. We never left the loop Halloween night, so I can't confirm it, but it was very calm that evening.

If that was the case then that obviously is a good thing not bad, and by all accounts this Halloween was relatively sane compared to years past. Hopefully this is an indication that the Fort will finally start enforcing its own rules.