Discovery Island little known fact

27 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Thanks for the link.

This is the first I've heard of capybaras being a potential invasive species in Florida.

It seems like there would be more sightings if it was a real problem.

TCD

Agree.   I wonder  if they’re not being overly cautious because they’re afraid they may cause extensive damage to the wetlands, like the nutria rats have done in Louisiana.   I wants heard you can get five dollars for every nutria rat you killed in Louisiana. 

and who knows, the capybara on discovery Island may have all been sterilized or the same sex so there would not have been any breeding going on. 

Surely Disney wouldn’t risk letting An invasive species run amok on their property.  

5 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Agree.   I wonder  if they’re not being overly cautious because they’re afraid they may cause extensive damage to the wetlands, like the nutria rats have done in Louisiana.   I wants heard you can get five dollars for every nutria rat you killed in Louisiana. 

and who knows, the capybara on discovery Island may have all been sterilized or the same sex so there would not have been any breeding going on. 

Surely Disney wouldn’t risk letting An invasive species run amok on their property.  

Unless they are good eating.... Capybara Burgers anyone?

6 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Unless they are good eating.... Capybara Burgers anyone?

I ran across this earlier today. 

5. They don’t taste like chicken – they taste like pork. Capybara are native to South America, where the meat is considered a delicacy. Salt-cured capybara is consumed during Lent in Venezuela, where the popularity of the dish prompted the Vatican to declare that capybara isn’t meat but fish.

18 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Salt-cured capybara is consumed during Lent in Venezuela, where the popularity of the dish prompted the Vatican to declare that capybara isn’t meat but fish.

Whelp, now we know where all the "sustainable fish" in the WDW restaurants comes from.  This also explains the disappearance of the capybaras from Animal Kingdom.

Good job getting the scoop.

TCD

On 11/30/2017 at 1:28 PM, Travisma said:

I remember years ago, carnival/circus side shows used to have them and announced "See the Giant S American Rodents".

Of course the posters outside had them depicted as some ferocious man eating giant rat!

I think they actually meant to say "See the Rodents of Unusual Size!"  ;)

Come on..... I make a Princess Bride reference and no one responds?   

Inconceivable!

Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history.

2 hours ago, Avatab.... Steve said:

Come on..... I make a Princess Bride reference and no one responds?   

Inconceivable!

Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history.

I do love me some Monty python!

lol! 

My mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into waterfall of creative alternative....

What did you expect? "Welcome, sonny?" "Make yourself at home?" "Marry my daughter?" You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the New West. You know...morons.

Mongo only pawn in the game of life.