Coco / Olaf's Frozen Adventure

I posted in the Movie Reviews section but since it's a Disney / Pixar I'll post here too. We enjoyed Coco. Beautiful animation, a charming lead character (who is not named Coco) and a pretty good plot. You do have to get used to the fact that many of the characters are skeletons, but there is some humor there and eventually I got used to it and didn't even really notice because I was caught up in the plot. And maybe that aspect doesn't bother others as much as it had the potential to bother me (I don't like vampires, zombies, ghosts, etc. and avoid books, movies and tv shows about them). 

Anyone else see it?

On 11/25/2017 at 10:44 PM, Seals said:

I posted in the Movie Reviews section but since it's a Disney / Pixar I'll post here too. We enjoyed Coco. Beautiful animation, a charming lead character (who is not named Coco) and a pretty good plot. You do have to get used to the fact that many of the characters are skeletons, but there is some humor there and eventually I got used to it and didn't even really notice because I was caught up in the plot. And maybe that aspect doesn't bother others as much as it had the potential to bother me (I don't like vampires, zombies, ghosts, etc. and avoid books, movies and tv shows about them). 

Anyone else see it?

We saw the extended trailer at HS Saturday night.

It's on our list after Thor.

But it seems a lot like The Book of Life... Manolo, a young man who is torn between fulfilling the expectations of his family and following his heart, embarks on an adventure that spans three fantastic worlds where he must face his greatest fears.

He visits the Land of the Dead also.

• Seals changed the title to Coco / Olaf's Frozen Adventure

If you want to see Olaf's Frozen Adventure you'd better hurry -- they're pulling it from being the "short" before Coco by December 8th.  Personally, I now wish I'd waited to see Coco until after December 8th.  Our experience was similar to the people mentioned in the article -- wtFort is this and when is it going to end?  I didn't realize there was actually going to be a Frozen 2 and I was calling OFA "Frozen 2" because it seemed as long as Frozen 1.   And it was definitely geared toward younger young kids whereas to me Coco is more for older young kids. Not a good fit. The explanation that it was originally supposed to be a tv special makes sense.  They should have left it that way.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/12/4/16709884/olafs-frozen-adventure-coco-disney-pixar-explained

20 hours ago, Seals said:

If you want to see Olaf's Frozen Adventure you'd better hurry -- they're pulling it from being the "short" before Coco by December 8th.  Personally, I now wish I'd waited to see Coco until after December 8th.  Our experience was similar to the people mentioned in the article -- wtFort is this and when is it going to end?  I didn't realize there was actually going to be a Frozen 2 and I was calling OFA "Frozen 2" because it seemed as long as Frozen 1.   And it was definitely geared toward younger young kids whereas to me Coco is more for older young kids. Not a good fit. The explanation that it was originally supposed to be a tv special makes sense.  They should have left it that way.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/12/4/16709884/olafs-frozen-adventure-coco-disney-pixar-explained

Josh Gad (the voice of Olaf) has a fun Twitter account.  One of this things is pestering the Star Wars cast for spoilers.  He posted a funny video on his Twitter account of him pestering Lupita Nyongo for information:

In this video, Josh says: "I just did a 22 minute Frozen short that apparently spoiled Coco for single men and women in their mid-to-late 40s with blogs."

Funny stuff!

TCD

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 11:29 AM, Seals said:

Josh "Olaf" Gad gets the last laugh. Olaf's Frozen Adventure makes its television debut tonight. 8pm on ABC

http://abc.go.com/news/insider/olaf-frozen-adventure-joins-the-25-days-of-christmas-on-abc

We recorded it and just watched it over the weekend.

It's not as bad as I expected.  It's a nice little holiday special.  But, I couldn't imagine having to watch it in a theater before watching a full-length movie.

TCD

• 2 months later...
On 11/25/2017 at 10:44 PM, Seals said:

Anyone else see it?

It's out on Redbox and we rented it last night.... we liked it.  I thought it was very cute.  Hoping they'll show it at the bonfire, when we're there in Oct.

ETA:  I too don't like vampires, zombies, ghosts and such either and we typically never watch anything with those types of characters.

2 hours ago, Beckers said:

We watched Coco last night for the first time. I enjoyed it but it’s not my favorite. The animation and colors were breathtaking but Moana is still remaining my favorite. 

Funny, we bought it and watched it last night also.  The Disney theme at the beginning was interesting with the Latin inspired music, and the animation/colors were great.  It's a different story, but the overall theme was a lot like The Book of Life movie from a few years ago. I still think Tangled and Brave are 2 of the best but underrated Disney movies.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...