One day solo trip help!!!

I need some help from you planning experts.

As some of you may know I really dislike planning my vacations. However, because of school schedules, and using miles to purchase our airline tickets. I will be arriving  at Orlando airport at 11:40 AM and my DW and DD won’t be arriving until 11:20 PM that same day.

We had planned on staying our first night at an embassy suites hotel. And then checking in to Pop Century resort . We decided to check in to pop century a day early. And skip the embassy suites.   

So here’s what I thought I would do. After landing catch the ME to pop century and immediately head out to one of the parks.  I’m rhninkjng I should be at Pop by 1:30 or 2:00 pm

I would like to catch at least two  of the nighttime shows, parades, and or fireworks.

I’m thinking of going to animal kingdom and HS.  As both of those parks are usually half-day parks for us and we are usually gone by the time the sun goes down.

But I’m Open to any and all suggestions.

How would you capitalize your solo trip to WDW?

Thanks for your help

ray

What date are you planning to do this?  I assume it's coming up soon, and that you are going at a busy time.  So, FP+ planning may be an issue.  The half-day plan for AK and DHS is a good idea- neither of those parks currently has a parade, but both have night-time shows.  Depending on park hours, and if you're going later this month, you might be able to see one or more of the night shows at both parks.

The good thing about going solo is that it's easy to change plans on the fly.  And I've had a lot of luck with getting single same day FP's for even the most popular attractions since you're only trying to snag one FP.

TCD

47 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

What date are you planning to do this?  I assume it's coming up soon, and that you are going at a busy time.  So, FP+ planning may be an issue.  The half-day plan for AK and DHS is a good idea- neither of those parks currently has a parade, but both have night-time shows.  Depending on park hours, and if you're going later this month, you might be able to see one or more of the night shows at both parks.

The good thing about going solo is that it's easy to change plans on the fly.  And I've had a lot of luck with getting single same day FP's for even the most popular attractions since you're only trying to snag one FP.

TCD

I arrive on December 19th.  And hopefully be heading to a park around 2:00 pm that same day  

I’m not so concerned about FP+ as I am in seeing shows, parades, etc.  

i have an AP so I can hop all I want.  The only bad thing is the distance AK is from the other parks and I’ll be using Disney transportation to hop  

Is river of light worth the time?  Or would I be better hopping after the tree of life lighting?

im trying to get the most bang for my buck so to speak.  So I’m not stuck on AK and HS if you have a better itenary.

48 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

Also. I have a DAS if I really want to hit a ride or two.  

OK, lets start by looking at park hours for Tuesday, December 19th:

MK is open from 8-6, because it's a MVMCP night.  The FOF parade is at 2 pm, which you can't reasonably expect to make.

Epcot is open from 9-9:30, with Candlelight Processional performances at 5, 6:45 and 8:15, and then Illuminations at 9:30.

DHS is open from 9-9.  It's a morning EMH day there. That, coupled with the early MK closing, will make the day time busier at DHS.  They are performing Jingle Bam at 6:30 pm, Fantasmic at 7, and the Star Wars fireworks show at 9.  Plus, there's the continuous projection show they are doing on the Tower of Terror.

AK is open from 9-8, with ROL at 7:15 and 8:30, and the Tree of Life projection show starting at 6:05.

Are you already planning to do any of the night shows with your family?  In my opinion, ROL is worth a look, but I wouldn't want to do it more than once a trip.  They tried really hard with this show, and it has some very beautiful moments, but as a whole, it doesn't do anything for me.

All of the nighttime stuff and DHS is pretty good- so you'd want to take the family there.  It's also re-watchable, so it wouldn't be bad for you to see it, and then go back with the family.

What about the Candlelight Processional?  Are y'all going to see that?  The celebrity performer on the 19th is Neil Patrick Harris, who is probably the most popular performer they have.  They will be performing the holiday version of Illuminations, and that's worth a look.

I think that you need to start with picking what nighttime show you most want to see that night.  If it's ROL,  you can't reasonably expect to make it to DHS for Jingle Bam, Fantasmic or the Star Wars show, but you could possibly make it to Epcot for Illuminations.  If you want to see the DHS stuff, you will only be able to see the shows there.

Also, here's a curve ball- what about buying yourself a ticket to the MVMCP?  They're expensive, but since you're only buying one ticket, it's not so bad.  If you go that route, you could see the Christmas Parade (twice if you want), have lots of cookies and hot cocoa, see some really good shows, plus see Holiday Wishes, which is awesome.  And no park hopping.

So, in my opinion, you should start with what night time show(s) you most want to see, and then work your plan back from there.

TCD

On 12/1/2017 at 9:23 AM, Tri-Circle-D said:

OK, lets start by looking at park hours for Tuesday, December 19th:

Thanks for the info. 

MK is open from 8-6, because it's a MVMCP night.  The FOF parade is at 2 pm, which you can't reasonably expect to make.

Epcot is open from 9-9:30, with Candlelight Processional performances at 5, 6:45 and 8:15, and then Illuminations at 9:30.

DHS is open from 9-9.  It's a morning EMH day there. That, coupled with the early MK closing, will make the day time busier at DHS.  They are performing Jingle Bam at 6:30 pm, Fantasmic at 7, and the Star Wars fireworks show at 9.  Plus, there's the continuous projection show they are doing on the Tower of Terror.

AK is open from 9-8, with ROL at 7:15 and 8:30, and the Tree of Life projection show starting at 6:05.

I wish I could make all those shows. And hopefully we will while we’re here this trip.

Are you already planning to do any of the night shows with your family?  In my opinion, ROL is worth a look, but I wouldn't want to do it more than once a trip.  They tried really hard with this show, and it has some very beautiful moments, but as a whole, it doesn't do anything for me.

All of the nighttime stuff and DHS is pretty good- so you'd want to take the family there.  It's also re-watchable, so it wouldn't be bad for you to see it, and then go back with the family.

We are normally rope droppers. And we’re out of the park by 5 PM or 6 PM. So we normally don’t plan any nighttime events. 

What about the Candlelight Processional?  Are y'all going to see that?  The celebrity performer on the 19th is Neil Patrick Harris, who is probably the most popular performer they have.  They will be performing the holiday version of Illuminations, and that's worth a look.

We’ve done the candlelight Prosessional before. And we really enjoyed it. When I told my DW that Neil Patrick Harris was the celebrity performer, she said book it. So we have rezzies for the 20th at via Napoli.  Great suggestion. Thanks 

I think that you need to start with picking what nighttime show you most want to see that night.  If it's ROL,  you can't reasonably expect to make it to DHS for Jingle Bam, Fantasmic or the Star Wars show, but you could possibly make it to Epcot for Illuminations.  If you want to see the DHS stuff, you will only be able to see the shows there.

I would really like to see the Star Wars fireworks. We can actually see the DHS and Epcot fireworks shows from our condo. But I’ve never been to DHS for the show. 

Also, here's a curve ball- what about buying yourself a ticket to the MVMCP?  They're expensive, but since you're only buying one ticket, it's not so bad.  If you go that route, you could see the Christmas Parade (twice if you want), have lots of cookies and hot cocoa, see some really good shows, plus see Holiday Wishes, which is awesome.  And no park hopping.

That’s one of the events I would love to do with the family.  

So, in my opinion, you should start with what night time show(s) you most want to see, and then work your plan back from there.

TCD

I’ve come up with a plan  it’s a bit ambitious.  Let me know what you think and if it’s doable or not  and any tweaks you might have.

Thanks for all your help  

Tentative itinerary for solo day trip.

2:00 - check-in POP

3:00. - catch bus to AK. 

4:00 - get Safari Lager. 

4:15 - walk around Pandora till dark. I haven’t seen Pandora at night yet. 

6:05 - Tree of life lighting. 

7:15 - Rivers of light

7:30 - hop over to DHS

8:30 - check out the projection show  

9:00 - Star Wars fireworks  

Well is it doable?

Do you think I could hop over to Epcot and catch the end of illuminations?

44 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

I would really like to see the Star Wars fireworks. We can actually see the DHS and Epcot fireworks shows from our condo. But I’ve never been to DHS for the show. 

The current DHS "fireworks" shows rely heavily on projections, lasers and other special effects.  To get the full effect, you need to be in the park, and in the area in front of the Chinese Theater with a view of the buildings on either side of it- they use those for the projections.  Of course, you can see the fireworks part from a lot of places, but they are only a part of the show.

25 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Tentative itinerary for solo day trip.

2:00 - check-in POP

3:00. - catch bus to AK. 

4:00 - get Safari Lager. 

4:15 - walk around Pandora till dark. I haven’t seen Pandora at night yet. 

6:05 - Tree of life lighting. 

7:15 - Rivers of light

7:30 - hop over to DHS

8:30 - check out the projection show  

9:00 - Star Wars fireworks  

Well is it doable?

Do you think I could hop over to Epcot and catch the end of illuminations?

It looks like a pretty good plan.

I think getting out of AK and to DHS after that first ROL show will take longer than you estimate, but I think you'll make it in time to see the projections on the TOT and the Star Wars fireworks show.  As I said above, try to get in the open area in front of the Chinese Theater for the Star Wars show, so you can see all of the projections and the special effects.

If you watch the whole Star Wars show, I don't think you can make it from in front of the Chinese Theater to Epcot in time to see any of Illuminations.

TCD