We just left the fort after a month long stay. I love to fish a being newly disabled from cancer I can no longer walk long distances. I tried numerous areas that were easily accessible to me to fish only to find out I couldn’t fish there. I started to fish behind the 300 loop were I could drive my golf cart despite the signs of no carts allowed. There are also signs for no pets and bicycles either, all of which I have seen there as well. I was confronted by many different rangers some of who were very nice and understanding as some others were downright rude and confrontational. It took to the very end of our trip to find out what areas we could actually fish. It seems that they have forgotten that fishing and camping go together. Anyone else have the see problems or experience the same rude interactions with staff. We just left the fort after a month long stay. I love to fish a being newly disabled from cancer I can no longer walk long distances. I tried numerous areas that were easily accessible to me to fish only to find out I couldn’t fish there. I started to fish behind the 300 loop were I could drive my golf cart despite the signs of no carts allowed. There are also signs for no pets and bicycles either, all of which I have seen there as well. I was confronted by many different rangers some of who were very nice and understanding as some others were downright rude and confrontational. It took to the very end of our trip to find out what areas we could actually fish. It seems that they have forgotten that fishing and camping go together. Anyone else have the see problems or experience the same rude interactions with staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Bob! 

Welcome to the forum!  It was so wonderful, meeting you and Tammie... looking forward to seeing y'all again!

I'm sorry that you had such a yucky experience.  Over the years, I think most of us have found two things about Disney:  1) they are driven by money and 2) most of the time, they actual do try and they do care.  With this situation, as we discussed, it sounds like there was a disconnect between the rangers and management.  You had received permission from a manager, to use your cart to fish in a particular area, but the rangers (apparently) didn't get the message.  I agree with you, if fishing is going to be offered at the Fort, and they allow able bodied persons to fish back behind the 300 loop, then they really should try to find a spot (just one, so they can monitor the traffic there), where golf carts can gain access for individuals to fish.  My guess is, guests have violated too often in the past and it's become (potentially) dangerous to have carts back in that area... so that's the reason for the no cart rule.

Those with more wisdom than I, will be along soon to comment.  I hope there will be a positive resolution, before your next visit.

Glad you're "here"!! ^_^

NaCole

Welcome, Bob.

As with any big organization, there are some excellent employees at the Fort, and there are some duds.

The Fort Rangers have a disproportionate amount of duds.  There is a lot of turnover in that position, and for good reason.  They are worse than useless.

Fishing around the Fort became more difficult last year, when they put up all of that unnecessary fencing to protect us from all of the alligators that suddenly showed up in the Fort's 45th year of operation.

I hope it goes better for you next time.

TCD