47 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

We woke up to -2 this morning.  It's not the temp itself that bothers me, having lived my first 35 years in Buffalo, but below 0 in Tennessee is stupid.  And the horses are ticked off.  Charlie was stomping his foot this morning.  It took me a minute, but I finally figured out he was using Morse Code to tell me "let's move further south".     

Yowsa!  Poor Charlie.  Bz went out this morning and sat outside the door (as usual) and started shaking like a wind up toy.  It's been a "go do your business as quickly as possible and get back in the house" kind of week for the dogs - even Lyn who has a super thick coat and rarely minds the cold at all.

I took the car out for a quick errand yesterday and even it was like "seriously lady, you expect me to work in this weather??"

19 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Oh my gosh...that's Western Washington (state).  We would break out the tank tops, when it hit 62... lol.  Now, I've been spoiled by the warmth (okay, usually warm) of Georgia for the past 14 years and I freeze when it's 65.

We're slated to go to Savannah over MLK weekend....right now, it looks like 60 degrees.  I was trying to talk Tom into Tampa, as they're showing 75, but he wouldn't have it.  Didn't want the extra 200 miles, for 2 nights.  Told me to, bring a coat :lol:

LOL!

It's funny because it hit 15 today and DH went outside for something, came in and said it "hey, it doesn't feel too bad!"

Totally true about what you get used to. The first time it breaks 50 here in the spring we're sitting outside in sweatshirts... and flip flops.  :ROFLMAO-1:

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Courtesy Jayco Owner's Forum: A couple purchased an old home in Northern New York State from two elderly sisters. Winter was fast approaching and the wife was concerned about the house's lack of

Hate to disappoint all you visitors that will be at the Fort over Christmas. The temps will only be in the mid to high 80's thru Christmas Eve, then the temps plummet to the mid 70's to 80's thru

I hate to hear this. I will keep the unfortunate people who are stuck at WDW over Christmas in my thoughts and hope they find a way to enjoy themselves. 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Yowsa!  Poor Charlie.  Bz went out this morning and sat outside the door (as usual) and started shaking like a wind up toy.  It's been a "go do your business as quickly as possible and get back in the house" kind of week for the dogs - even Lyn who has a super thick coat and rarely minds the cold at all.

I always have to be careful with Charlie, because he doesn't develop a very thick winter coat.  Fire, on the other hand, looks like a fluffy stuffed animal.  She's part shetland, and when we get towards November, her fur goes POOF!  But you should see the horse hair storm come spring when she sheds.  It literally looks like tumbleweeds rolling across the pasture.  

12 hours ago, keith_h said:

Now folks are starting to say we should be closing the schools when it gets this cold. They already delayed it two hours this morning. I wonder what's next? 

I think they do that, for the kids at the bus stops.  In places where super cold temps are not the norm, kids are not properly dressed.

1 hour ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

I think they do that, for the kids at the bus stops.  In places where super cold temps are not the norm, kids are not properly dressed.

Someone on FB posted two notices from their kids schools.

The one from FL said that the schools would be closed today due to extreme weather conditions.

The other was an email from their kids previous school district in WI.  "The district will cancel school when they have a sustained wind chill factor of minus 35 or lower.  Please make sure your kids are dressed appropriately for the weather."

17 minutes ago, Travisma said:

The one from FL said that the schools would be closed today due to extreme weather conditions.

Alachua County Schools (Gainsville) closed today and tomorrow, winter storm watch, 1-3" with freezing rain. UF in Tallahassee closed till 5 tonight.  30 predicted for Orlando overnight.

23 minutes ago, Travisma said:

The other was an email from their kids previous school district in WI.  "The district will cancel school when they have a sustained wind chill factor of minus 35 or lower.  Please make sure your kids are dressed appropriately for the weather."

Funny how it's all relative ... :lol:

16 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

I always have to be careful with Charlie, because he doesn't develop a very thick winter coat.  Fire, on the other hand, looks like a fluffy stuffed animal.  She's part shetland, and when we get towards November, her fur goes POOF!  But you should see the horse hair storm come spring when she sheds.  It literally looks like tumbleweeds rolling across the pasture.  

Sounds like when Bz blows her coat in the fall... X100.  LOL

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

Sounds about right!  :)

But it's a good point that people in places where this weather is not normal may not know how to dress for it.  I've got a closet full of winter gear for weather like this, but how many people in FL have snow boots, snowmobiling gloves and a big down parka?

2 hours ago, Travisma said:

When we moved to Colorado my kids had been use to the "It might snow so no school today" way of operating. Each year the superintendent of the Colorado school system put out a memo detailing his inclement weather policy. It was very simple. If he could make to the office the schools would open. He also noted that in all of his years in that school system he had never been forced to stay home. The girls were so depressed.

3 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Yet those same kids will be outside playing. I can somewhat understand the delay but there is no reason to cancel school just because it won't be above freezing.

43 minutes ago, keith_h said:

Yet those same kids will be outside playing. I can somewhat understand the delay but there is no reason to cancel school just because it won't be above freezing.

Hmmm... haven't seen too many kids outside playing, at 6am ;)  

24 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Hmmm... haven't seen too many kids outside playing, at 6am ;)  

I'm here at 10:45 and it is still 23 degrees out. Only up three degrees since 6AM this morning. We have an early release today and I'm sure I'll see the kids next door out as soon as they are home. I expect we'll have reached the balmy temperature of 27 by then. Brrrrr!

19 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Yep!

50degrees.jpg

That's perfect, our high today is 55, and it's raining right now. That's how I'll look in a few minutes when I have to go outside. That's how I've looked for the last couple of days. Us native Floridians aren't accustomed to cold. Below 75 is chilly and below 70 just plain cold. 

Edited to add

I have actually had to wear shoes and socks, which just doesn't happen unless it's cold or on rare occasions I have to dress up.

1 minute ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

They shut down a 50  mile stretch of I-10 do to ice. 

I heard something on the news last night that made no sense.

Since FL doesn't have salt for the roads, they were going to use sand.  OK that makes sense, just like the good old days up north.

But then it was mentioned they were gong to use salt water to melt the ice?  That seems iffy.

1 hour ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

In our area, it's about the school buses being able to operate in the extreme cold climate. Many of them can't, and also, they deem it not safe for kids to wait for the bus in those temperatures.

Saw a news report last night that schools somewhere up north were closed because the diesel in the buses congealed and they wouldn't start.

2 minutes ago, Travisma said:

But then it was mentioned they were gong to use salt water to melt the ice?  That seems iffy.

That works. Many areas up N use salt brine when temps are at or just below freezing in lieu of salt. Some even app!y it before the snow hits.

1 hour ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Edited to add

I have actually had to wear shoes and socks, which just doesn't happen unless it's cold or on rare occasions I have to dress up.

And the Northern version of that...

I actually put a hat on the other day to go out because it was 14 degrees - I had to go dig one out because I almost never wear a hat.

But I'm still not wearing my heavy winter coat, although I may have to break it out Saturday when the projected high is now 1.

:ROFLMAO-1:

1 hour ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

They shut down a 50  mile stretch of I-10 do to ice. 

Ice is no joke, I don't care where you live.

55 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Saw a news report last night that schools somewhere up north were closed because the diesel in the buses congealed and they wouldn't start.

A bunch of school districts have delayed their start times to get things warmed up and running too. 

In these temps, even the machinery says "mmmm... nope."

2 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Actual conversation that just took place in my house...

Me - hearing one of the dogs bark outside at the back fence, which means their dog is out there too: Are the dogs out??

DH: Yeah, it's pretty nice out today.

...it's 28.

:ROFLMAO-1:

Tropical heat wave????

1 hour ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

That's perfect, our high today is 55, and it's raining right now. That's how I'll look in a few minutes when I have to go outside. That's how I've looked for the last couple of days. Us native Floridians aren't accustomed to cold. Below 75 is chilly and below 70 just plain cold. 

Edited to add

I had to wear socks in my Crocs!

And I wore long pants out running errands the other day instead of shorts.  Long pants are for work, church, and funerals only!

2 hours ago, Travisma said:

2 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

That works. Many areas up N use salt brine when temps are at or just below freezing in lieu of salt. Some even app!y it before the snow hits.

That's what they do around here. When there is a likely chance for snow or freezing rain the DOT goes out the day or two before to spray a brine on the bridges and roads. As long as we don't get too much of either it works well to keep ice from forming.

3 hours ago, keith_h said:

I'm here at 10:45 and it is still 23 degrees out. Only up three degrees since 6AM this morning. We have an early release today and I'm sure I'll see the kids next door out as soon as they are home. I expect we'll have reached the balmy temperature of 27 by then. Brrrrr!

That is cold.  Just saw.... there is apparently SNOW in Savannah.  EWWWW!!

2 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Tropical heat wave????

Seriously - DH went outside to play with the dogs in a sweatshirt and slippers!!

A friend of mine in Maine just posted this...
"... for today only we're experiencing +23(f) /-5(c). I know that still sounds cold but after two weeks at -15 to -26f, the +23f feels tropical!"

1 hour ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

That is cold.  Just saw.... there is apparently SNOW in Savannah.  EWWWW!!

Yes it is. I'm looking forward to the more seasonal low 50's they are predicting for next week. We head to an RV show this weekend to look at trailers and fortunately it is inside. We were at the dealer last weekend looking at one we are interested in but it was cold enough I wasn't going to spend time crawling around to see how it was built. They said they will have it at one at the show so I plan to give it a good look over there. If the model is as good a fit as I think and they give me more or less what I want for our current trailer we will have a new one for our upcoming WDW trip.