No more "Do Not Disturb" Signs at the three monorail resorts

According to WDWNT.com, Disney is exercising new security measures in the three monorail resorts and no longer offering the Do Not Disturb signs.  They will be replaced with Room Occupied instead.  CM's will be checking once a day on each room for safety checks/cleaning/maintenance. It is rumored this is being done because of the Vegas attack in 2017.

For the full article, please see this link.  http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/12/breaking-new-security-measures-walt-disney-world-hotels-not-disturb-room-signs-removed/

Beginning with the three monorail resorts near the Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World Resort Hotels will no longer provide guests with “Do Not Disturb” signs to put on their doors. The signs will be replaced with “Room Occupied” signs that will notify cast members that guests are in the rooms. However, these guests will be “disturbed” at some point, as it will now be required that a Disney employee enter their hotel room at least once a day to ensure guest safety.

hero_bay_lake_tower_at_contemporary_over

If you choose to forgo housekeeping on a given day, the Disney nomenclature states that “the hotel and its staff reserve the right to enter your room for any purposes including, but not limited to, performing maintenance and repairs or checking on the safety and security of guests and property.” Disney states that cast members will give reasonable notice prior to entering by knocking and announcing that they will enter.

The popular theory is that this is a response to the incident that happened in Vegas earlier this year. The monorail resorts are quite tall and offer similar vantage points of crowded guest areas, as well as Walt Disney World transportation such as monorails, buses, and watercraft. Disney is not publicly stating why they are making the change though.

Guests at the Grand Floridian, Polynesian, and Contemporary Resorts should find a paper in their rooms today noting the change. These changes are expected to roll out to other Walt Disney World Resort Hotels in the coming weeks.

Article and pictures credits:  wdwnt.com and Tim Corless

Glad to hear. We were at the Fort a week ago and since we are passholders and didn't carry any bags we weren't stopped for a security check at ANY of the parks OR even getting off the launch at the Magic Kingdom. At the launch landing we were directed to walk between the two scanners!  I'm sure there is a lot of undercover security around but it sure didn't give us a good feeling knowing we were never checked, not once, entering the parks. Made us a bit uneasy especially in the massive extended hours Magic Kingdom crowd. We avoided the hub and made sure we were close to the Cast Member exit by the Crystal Palace where they directed everyone backstage to exit. Rather scary experience since Main Street was totally blocked all the way to the hub and we kept thinking about the lack of security checks. How many others just walked right in???

4 hours ago, Breezy2 said:

Glad to hear. We were at the Fort a week ago and since we are passholders and didn't carry any bags we weren't stopped for a security check at ANY of the parks OR even getting off the launch at the Magic Kingdom. At the launch landing we were directed to walk between the two scanners!  I'm sure there is a lot of undercover security around but it sure didn't give us a good feeling knowing we were never checked, not once, entering the parks. Made us a bit uneasy especially in the massive extended hours Magic Kingdom crowd. We avoided the hub and made sure we were close to the Cast Member exit by the Crystal Palace where they directed everyone backstage to exit. Rather scary experience since Main Street was totally blocked all the way to the hub and we kept thinking about the lack of security checks. How many others just walked right in???

It’s sounds to me that y’all just got lucky.

When we entered the parks we sometimes were sent thru the metal detectors and sometimes we didn’t .  If your wearing shorts and a t-shirt it’s kind of hard to hide a gun so they probably weren’t to worried about us.    And by keeping it random it speeds up the process and let’s the bad guys know there is a possibility they will get caught.  

I personally feel perfectly safe when im at WDW.  Except from the weirdos and drunks at the parks.  Lol. 

On 12/23/2017 at 12:05 PM, h2odivers...Ray said:

It’s sounds to me that y’all just got lucky.

When we entered the parks we sometimes were sent thru the metal detectors and sometimes we didn’t .  If your wearing shorts and a t-shirt it’s kind of hard to hide a gun so they probably weren’t to worried about us.    And by keeping it random it speeds up the process and let’s the bad guys know there is a possibility they will get caught.  

I personally feel perfectly safe when im at WDW.  Except from the weirdos and drunks at the parks.  Lol. 

Agreed across the boards.

In the 6 weeks we were there we weren't sent through the metal detectors every time - I'd have to say maybe half the time we were - but with it being random, it is hardly a green light for someone trying to smuggle something in.

And bag check was way more thorough than we've ever seen it before this trip.  The number of times it was a "peek and go" was tiny. The vast majority of the time they were going through the bags very thoroughly with flashlights and sticks, and even asking people to unpack bigger bags, strollers and scooter baskets if they had any question about what might be in them.

On 12/23/2017 at 6:44 AM, Breezy2 said:

This is such a sad statement of how people are being trained to accept intrusion by officials into their lives.  That you WANT to have your personal space invaded, and expect it, is terrifying. 

No one is ever safe from a person or persons that want and seriously plan to do major harm.  Allowing officials to search you as a requirement for entry is a necessary evil these days, but actually feeling unsafe because you were not searched is just wrong. 

I hate having to submit to searches.  I do it because it's required.  It makes people feel 'safe'.  But it's a lie.  There is no way to be safe.  All you can do is practice situational awareness, and stay away from big crowds of people.  If you want to participate in high profile events, you are always taking a risk that you may be involved in an attack. 

I always feel safe at Disney.  Heck, I always feel safe wherever I go, because I know my chance of being caught in a random attack is pretty damn low. That being said, I do always know the best exit, and the paths of highest risk. 

36 minutes ago, ThemeParkCommando said:

This is such a sad statement of how people are being trained to accept intrusion by officials into their lives.  That you WANT to have your personal space invaded, and expect it, is terrifying. 

No one is ever safe from a person or persons that want and seriously plan to do major harm.  Allowing officials to search you as a requirement for entry is a necessary evil these days, but actually feeling unsafe because you were not searched is just wrong. 

I hate having to submit to searches.  I do it because it's required.  It makes people feel 'safe'.  But it's a lie.  There is no way to be safe.  All you can do is practice situational awareness, and stay away from big crowds of people.  If you want to participate in high profile events, you are always taking a risk that you may be involved in an attack. 

I always feel safe at Disney.  Heck, I always feel safe wherever I go, because I know my chance of being caught in a random attack is pretty damn low. That being said, I do always know the best exit, and the paths of highest risk. 

Exactly.  That's why many in Law Enforcement call it "Security Theater".  It looks good and makes people feel "safe" because someone is "doing something" but most of us understand that if someone is willing to die in order to hurt others there is a good chance they will succeed. :(

My father, an insurance risk analyst, always said that there is no way to stop the determined professional. So we had locks on all our doors and windows to prevent the impulsive amateur, but also in the hopes that the professional would choose to go on to the next house which might have less locks.

Maybe the safety measures at Disney won’t stop everyone. But it could stop the amateurs just seeking to make a name for themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk