I know if u ride a bike helmets are state law, but does that apply to a kick scooter as well? The FTW policy only mentions helmets for bikes?

And on that topic, the policy mentions scooters only on sidewalks and paths, not on roads. I would gather a campsite loop falls into road category, but would anyone put up a fuss for two kids on scooters on a loop road?

3 minutes ago, mastergracey said:

I know if u ride a bike helmets are state law, but does that apply to a kick scooter as well? The FTW policy only mentions helmets for bikes?

And on that topic, the policy mentions scooters only on sidewalks and paths, not on roads. I would gather a campsite loop falls into road category, but would anyone put up a fuss for two kids on scooters on a loop road?

You're fine. Don't worry about it. 

No one stops kids from driving golf carts, so I can't see anyone worrying about kids on scooters.

TCD

This part of a legal opinion on the Florida bicycle helmet law from the Florida Attorney General's Office. So it looks like the helmet law does not apply to scooters.

"Every vehicle propelled solely by human power, and every motorized bicycle propelled by a combination of human power and an electric helper motor capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed of not more than 20 miles per hour on level ground upon which any person may ride, having two tandem wheels, and including any device generally recognized as a bicycle though equipped with two front or two rear wheels. The term does not include such a vehicle with a seat height of no more than 25 inches from the ground when the seat is adjusted to its highest position or a scooter or similar device. No person under the age of 16 may operate or ride upon a motorized bicycle."[1]

I've seen scooters on loop roads

Kids riding scooters with and with out helmets

Same with bikes. 

I don't know what the policy is or if there even is one for helmets on scooters at the Fort. But unless you get a ranger who is board or your kids are really cause a problem like blocking traffic or riding out in front of vehicles I don't think you'll have a problem with them riding in the loop. I'm not saying your kids would do this but it things I've seen before. 

The thing that would concern me the most is people driving golf carts or vehicles around the loops who may not be paying attention or going to fast. Especially if it's a busy time and cars are blocking visibility around curves in the loop. 

8 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

The thing that would concern me the most is people driving golf carts or vehicles around the loops who may not be paying attention or going to fast. Especially if it's a busy time and cars are blocking visibility around curves in the loop. 

Exactly. The chances your two kids would bother anyone else is small, but the way the driving rules are enforced (or mostly not enforced actually) lately would be my biggest worry. 

Tell them to wear bright colors, keep their eyes open at all times, and be ready to jump into the bushes if necessary....  

6 hours ago, Avatab.... Steve said:

Exactly. The chances your two kids would bother anyone else is small, but the way the driving rules are enforced (or mostly not enforced actually) lately would be my biggest worry. 

Tell them to wear bright colors, keep their eyes open at all times, and be ready to jump into the bushes if necessary....  

Sad but true. I actually never let my kid out of my site.  To many crazy people. I  may be over protective but I dont know anybody else staying on the loop. So until my kid is bigger she doesn't get to go around the loop by herself.

5 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

Sad but true. I actually never let my kid out of my site.  To many crazy people. I  may be over protective but I dont know anybody else staying on the loop. So until my kid is bigger she doesn't get to go around the loop by herself.

We too are protective.  Our oldest will be 11 in a month and we've just started letting her go the bathhouse by herself.  But she knows to stay away from any cars and to scream like a mother, if anyone touches her...and we watch the time.  She better potty fast, or we're coming after her.  lol.

We want to give her space and allow her to grow and have some independence, but as you said...too many crazy people, so we are very careful.

On 1/1/2018 at 9:02 AM, Avatab.... Steve said:

Echoing the be alert thing too.  The Fort was really busy most of the time we were there in November and so we were even more cautious than usual riding the cart around - especially in the loops as there were cars, carts and kids EVERYWHERE.  A few times we had close calls with kids on scooters - usually because they just zipped out into the road from behind a car without looking, but one time a kid was coming towards us in the middle of the road looking down and never even saw us.  I stopped the cart and gave him a "hey" before he looked up ... about 4' from the cart.