The Year In Review: DIT Takes Disney Love To A New Level In 2017

30 minutes ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

Dave,

Is that the KOA next to the Grand Ole Opry?  If so it has changed a lot since our overnight there in 2014!  That pool looks great, it actually looks like you get more for your money now.

WBI

Yes that's the one.  We also had stayed there in 2014 (the Thanksgiving I mentioned in the update) and while the pool was closed for the season we could tell it was nothing special.  They've really upgraded it.  

27 minutes ago, LONE-STAR said:

I was thinking it looked really nice to for a KOA

Yes, but it's priced more like the Fort.  LOL.  Not quite, but pushing $100 for sure.  

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy New Year!! It's hard to believe 2017 is over, and 2018 is here.  For a variety of reasons, 2017 was a bit of a tough year around the DIT ranch.  I got off-line to focus on more important th

Yes, I'm still alive. A little bird told me that Dave was embarrassing himself by doing a TR, so I needed to read how he crashed and burned..........this time. I sure hope he didn't run into Melvin th

Trip #5 - Fall Break at Dollywood Our kids typically get 3 days off in October for fall break, which makes for a 5 day weekend.  Not long enough to head to the Fort unless we pulled them out of s

4 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

Yes, but it's priced more like the Fort.  LOL.  Not quite, but pushing $100 for sure.  

All KOA's seem to be priced on the high side IMO. I just drove to New Mexico mostly on I-70 and there were a lot of KOA spots, we are planning on maybe heading west again with our camper this summer and I started to check them out for overnight stops and even if I BOUGHT their discount card for a overnight stop they are high priced, guess I will have to try to use Passport America instead for quick stops or even just crawl into the sleeper in the truck, the wife really doesn't care where she wakes up if I decide to move on in the middle of the night!!!!!

29 minutes ago, dblr....Rennie said:

All KOA's seem to be priced on the high side IMO. I just drove to New Mexico mostly on I-70 and there were a lot of KOA spots, we are planning on maybe heading west again with our camper this summer and I started to check them out for overnight stops and even if I BOUGHT their discount card for a overnight stop they are high priced, guess I will have to try to use Passport America instead for quick stops or even just crawl into the sleeper in the truck, the wife really doesn't care where she wakes up if I decide to move on in the middle of the night!!!!!

Yes, as a rule the KOA's are priced higher.  I imagine that's driven by the franchise fees to cover corporate expenses and advertising.  In some cases they are worth it, in others they are not.  I've probably stayed at 2 dozen or more KOA's over the years, at a variety of price ranges, and it definitely depends on what you are needing as to whether it is worth it.  Some are decently priced and more barebones....an overnight stop.  Some like the one in Nashville are "resort" priced.  The Nashville one has 2 competing campgrounds next door, one of which is signficantly lower priced.  If I were touring Nashville and using the campground as a place to lay my head, I'd pick Two Rivers.  In our case, since we wanted a nice spot to spend the weekend with a good pool, the KOA made sense.  We like the one in Pigeon Forge for similar reasons, plus it being next to the trolley depot.  But some are just not worth what they charge.   Pricing varies I think based on the classification level....KOA has 3 levels of campground for various needs....Journey, Holiday and Resort.  

Let's move on and wrap up this Father's Day weekend.  

I do all the cooking when we camp, and being Father's Day, that wasn't going to fly.  And also being Father's Day, I got to pick where we were going to eat.  I also got to pay for it, but what's new.  LOL . 

I knew that a new restaurant had opened at the Opry Mills that I wanted to check out, and they took reservations.  Being Father's Day, I wasn't sure how busy restaurants would be.  Turns out...very busy.  But having the reservation got us in with no wait.  

So where are we going??

a2ldHDGRvzq2r4fAmhd86qwbujeZ6VqbCvfQXpJC

That's the Bavarian Bierhaus!!

It might not be Oktoberfest, but I was willing to give it a try.  

This place is set up in the usual bierhaus way of long tables and benches throughout the middle, plus smaller tables along the perimeter of the place.  And in the middle is a stage, and a dancefloor.  

This pic shows the general look of the place, plus some of the German dancers.  

AcDQMlzva3DRBS_-4wGS0BPg1QHO3Xnm8glZy6Is

When we first were seated, an accordian player was on stage.

N-q2Sj5djjMOr7O5lvpvzKz-p6Aj3T5S_b_l2EDo

b-FS6mRs90dJ9IUe3280Nx1iMQddkXq1okLOFhB7

Our waitress came to take the drink orders.  I just ordered water.  

The water in Nashville is REALLY yellow.  They must need a new water treatment plant.  

UU9vwf8GwvC9bbssCKDrylJ86EdgzDoK5Bk3jc7T

Ok, that's Spaten.  

This place is really authentic German.  The dancers could even be relatives of me.  

KOdnppBAZ4KVVdv6tWqCkH6vdERiJf8Ldq_5uUKU

I don't know why that cracked me up, but it did.

Maybe I should have ordered a Kirin.  

As typically happens in these situations, Anna soon found herself on the dancefloor.  

G3pITrIICmNQY40wospsDzTKc4j9AqhnnkOQj9Yb

K39VRrmpaO5F7lD8Np1gkvFGdpzyd7dVNNQXaGeG

9Ufz7FBEBWMc2gaxSiriNfHNdbNa8CYLm7OzUXDZ

74r7cqfSybb7ChpRBYIqqeTEnq5RoP-IKTucGUbo

FktTCOYyrN128BBBsxEIAKTMaFS5tMfXpZGqFGjA

y_cv669Tc_42WPEqPz8tZtxfisJ4lLybKKmxmBoj

NncoM5jvo5LWcLZRO0nDRGOXTDMea8nCJR-g-xfs

YMu6EFfcR2KEyNRB4U_lfWQjjoeRsAOh852biUxr

That was pretty awesome!!

Before too long, the accordian player left the stage.  I was afraid we had timed things poorly and would be without music for the rest of our meal.  But within a few minutes, those fears were laid to rest.  A band came out to play!

dZgUXDC6UNs5RSm812Q6To-cZVu5UflgK2wb4hwu

They were flippin awesome!!  

That gal could entertain.  She sang, and played the accordian.  And the rest of the band was great too.  They really got the whole place dancing, including standing on the benches and stomping their feet.  

8MaoriMxDr4FALPKneFZ8-VMDeD3dLCGF9_SdtYn

For my dinner, I chose the Schweinebraten.  That was a German pork roast, potato dumplings, sauerkraut, red cabbage and gravy.  It was delicious.  

zLeMAI_qqNHJXW5wfCA81aojpCwQhDvQFeLi2HL9

Everyone seemed happy with their meals.  So my restaurant choice was a good one.  

We made our way back to the KOA and hit the hay with full bellies and good memories.  And tired dance feet!  

The next morning, we were heading home.  It was a nice morning to enjoy coffee under the awning.  

And I had someone peeking out at me.  

n6pT0jypur4MoF24lZKAfzKyK4ewiwoYXUI6SD2A

After coffee, we held off on breakfast as I had other plans.  We packed up the campsite and pulled out of the KOA, and down the street to the Waffle House.  

fPE_xbFNGhIak5B78JHmwaAyd4-fwxNAE0JlfmlB

We filled out bellies again, this time on waffles and hashbrowns.  Delicious.  And has become our custom when dining at the Waffle House (which we only do occasionally when camping), we secretly picked up the tab for another family in the restaurant.  That happened to us once when traveling home from the Fort many years ago, and we try to pay that forward when we can.  We've never forgotten how that gesture made us feel, and hopefully it has brightened some other families' days and perhaps they've paid it forward as well.  

After breakfast, we headed back home.  Sometimes it is nice camping only 45 minutes from home.  

Coming up, I'll share some pics of a late summer trip to Orlando.  Then, we'll take a look at the Great American Eclipse.  It was a busy year, and I'm enjoying reliving it. Thanks for sticking with me.  

I think we need to get back up to Nashville to Opry Mills. That looks yummy :)

However, the last two times we went there, the traffic got so bad as we approached the area, that we almost weren't able to have dinner, as in 90 minutes to go 5 miles. Forget wandering the mall We will need to leave earlier in the morning.

1 hour ago, DaveInTN said:

This place is really authentic German.  The dancers could even be relatives of me.  

Then this Japanese yodeling in German will blow your mind.

I was just in the Nashville area for work all last week - thanks for the tip on the German beerhall. I checked out their web site and they have some of my favorite beers on tap and they also have schweinshaxe. Can't believe I didn't go when I had the chance. Next time!

Should you find yourself looking for something to do in that same area, I hit up the Dukes of Hazzard museum. It was worth exactly what I paid  for it... Admission is free.

p4uIrmWl.jpg

I was around for your recent ice storm. I was a bit south of Nashville so didn't get the worst of it but still had to change my travel plans, and got to chip rather a lot of ice off my car.

This is all ice on my car.

278iPtol.jpg

After scraping.

F650dv5l.jpg

Not my car but nice icicles.

CpH4J3Yl.jpg

The keypad on the gas pump was iced over so you couldn't press any of the buttons.

ULl8nhCl.jpg

End hijack!

5 hours ago, dblr....Rennie said:

We stayed a KOAs, on our trip to Wa State this past summer.  I purposely did that, as I figured most would have pools and playgrounds... which is helpful with two little ones.  We got lucky as only one would I not go back to.  The others were pretty good and the kids enjoyed themselves.  I agree though, higher priced.  For our SW trip, I plan to hit several Walmarts and Passport America locations to save money.  

9 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

.KOA has 3 levels of campground for various needs....Journey, Holiday and Resort.  

Where do you see what "level" they are. I usually stay at KOAs for overnights, and I'll say that the one at Exit 60 on I-75 in Tifton, shouldn't even be Journey. That place was terrible. It was a muddy mess. I don't mind paying for KOA for an overnight, as I usually know what I'm getting. A level pullthrough near a decent bath house and near the interstate. Pull in late after hours, plug in my 30 Amp and off to bed. No need to level or disconnect.

8 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

I think we need to get back up to Nashville to Opry Mills. That looks yummy :)

However, the last two times we went there, the traffic got so bad as we approached the area, that we almost weren't able to have dinner, as in 90 minutes to go 5 miles. Forget wandering the mall We will need to leave earlier in the morning.

If you have the opportunity to go up there on a weekday, it's much better.  

7 hours ago, wendinator said:

Then this Japanese yodeling in German will blow your mind.

I was just in the Nashville area for work all last week - thanks for the tip on the German beerhall. I checked out their web site and they have some of my favorite beers on tap and they also have schweinshaxe. Can't believe I didn't go when I had the chance. Next time!

Should you find yourself looking for something to do in that same area, I hit up the Dukes of Hazzard museum. It was worth exactly what I paid  for it... Admission is free.

p4uIrmWl.jpg

I was around for your recent ice storm. I was a bit south of Nashville so didn't get the worst of it but still had to change my travel plans, and got to chip rather a lot of ice off my car.

This is all ice on my car.

278iPtol.jpg

After scraping.

F650dv5l.jpg

Not my car but nice icicles.

CpH4J3Yl.jpg

The keypad on the gas pump was iced over so you couldn't press any of the buttons.

ULl8nhCl.jpg

End hijack!

Good hijack!  That video is gold!  

Where south of Nashville were you working?

7 hours ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

We had planned to go up to Nashville over the Christmas break. Of course that never happened.
I let Steve know about the restaurant so I am sure we will make it there at some point.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Glad I could help.  LOL.  

7 hours ago, keith_h said:

I see you were practicing restraint and ordered the small beer. There was a time our two would get out on the dance floor any chance they had too.  In a couple of years I expect to be seeing our grandson out there as well. It's fun when they are at those ages with no inhibitions.

Ha, yes.  That was a very small beer.  

6 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Wow. Thank you for sparing me from any photos of that. 

TCD

There is good dirndl, and there is bad dirndl.  

5 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

We stayed a KOAs, on our trip to Wa State this past summer.  I purposely did that, as I figured most would have pools and playgrounds... which is helpful with two little ones.  We got lucky as only one would I not go back to.  The others were pretty good and the kids enjoyed themselves.  I agree though, higher priced.  For our SW trip, I plan to hit several Walmarts and Passport America locations to save money.  

I think if we camped more I'd be much more budget focused.  But we tend to be experience focused, since camping is a treat.  It's vacation.  If I camped as much as I would like to, I'd be looking for more free or inexpensive sites.  I imagine for a long trip, like out west, I'd have to watch the prices a lot more.  

4 minutes ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

Where do you see what "level" they are. I usually stay at KOAs for overnights, and I'll say that the one at Exit 60 on I-75 in Tifton, shouldn't even be Journey. That place was terrible. It was a muddy mess. I don't mind paying for KOA for an overnight, as I usually know what I'm getting. A level pullthrough near a decent bath house and near the interstate. Pull in late after hours, plug in my 30 Amp and off to bed. No need to level or disconnect.

This KOA blog post describes how they are transitioning KOA's to those levels.  The Tifton one apparently isn't transitioned yet, as the website doesn't indicate a level.  

https://koa.com/blog/now-there-are-3-kinds-of-koas-for-every-way-you-want-to-camp/

Maybe they need a 4th level....KOA Sh**hole.  :lol:

3 minutes ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

You do all the cooking when you camp?  Could you please give David lessons?  

I do a good portion of the cooking at home too.  But I enjoy cooking, and INC doesn't.  

On 1/15/2018 at 4:54 PM, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Okay...we've been in Savannah, so I'm now caught up.  Let's see:  the water parks.  We've never done those.  Our youngest has just figured out how to hold his breath under water, so we're getting him some lessons before our trip to the Fort in June.  I guess I've been waiting to spend the money on the water parks, until the kids were older and decent swimmers.  As you'll remember, young kiddos and water = lots of stress ?

Holiday World...um, yes please!  I mean, who wouldn't want to visit a town called Santa Claus??

I love your selfie pics with your girls.  Such sweet moments.

The Nashville KOA...considering that, for a trip this year.  Sounds like you'd recommend it?  We'll either squeeze in a weekend there or Pigeon Forge.

The big a$$ flag is AWESOME.  CW, is not ?

If you choose Pigeon Forge, there are several FF that consider that in their backyard, so maybe a GG in the area?

23 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

After coffee, we held off on breakfast as I had other plans.  We packed up the campsite and pulled out of the KOA, and down the street to the Waffle House.  

fPE_xbFNGhIak5B78JHmwaAyd4-fwxNAE0JlfmlB

Waffle House FAIL!  There is no hint of "Scattered, Smothered, & Covered" anywhere in this picture!

4 hours ago, TN22.....Brady said:

If you choose Pigeon Forge, there are several FF that consider that in their backyard, so maybe a GG in the area?

That swings things in PF's favor.  

4 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Always a thought!  We enjoy PF ^_^

Yes...we should all do that.  

56 minutes ago, Duane said:

My plate, which is not in the pic, included them scattered, smothered, covered AND Peppered!  I love jalapenos on those things.

Trip Four - The Great American Eclipse

Monday, August 21, 2017 was a day I had looked forward to for a LONG time.  Like years.  Ever since witnessing a partial solar eclipse as a kid in the late 70's, the allure of a total eclipse was overwhelming.  I'd seen pics, videos, and read articles about total eclipses.  But as you know, they aren't exactly common, and in particular if you aren't willing or able to trek across the globe to view one, you may have to wait decades for the opportunity.  And what made this year's eclipse more special was that it was coming to my area!  No long travel needed....just a plan.  

Falling on a Monday, I knew that this would involve pulling the kids from school.  That was easily decided, as I felt the value of witnessing the eclipse was more valuable than a school day, in particular as our home sits a hair outside the path of totality.  The edge of the path of totality happens to go right through the parking lot of our church...but we live southwest of there placing us outside.  And for solar eclipses, being 10 feet outside the path of totality may as well be 100 miles outside.  Totally different experience, and not nearly as special.  

So while we could have simply driven to our church to view, or a bit further into Nashville, there is another factor to determine where best to view a total eclipse.  The closer to the midline of the path of totality you get, the longer totality is.  For instance, in our church parking lot, we may have witnessed 15 seconds of totality.  Pretty cool, but perhaps not enough to fully appreciate and witness all the incredible natural phenomena that comes with totality.  I knew that I would prefer to get close to the center line, but try to avoid huge crowds such as would be present close to downtown Nashville.  So I consulted maps online, and I quickly realized that the center of the path of totality was going to pass right through Carthage, TN.  Which, besides being the home town of Al Gore, happens to also be the home of Defeated Creek COE Campground.  One of our alltime faves, and the site of many epic Fiend Grand Gatherings!  I searched the Defeated Creek site for availability, an lo and behold there was one site available, and right on the lake shore....perfect for viewing the skies.  Plus, we were not far from the longest point of totality in the entire United States, which was just a bit northwest over southern IL and western KY.  At that location, totality would last 2 minutes 41 seconds.  At Carthage, totality would last 2 minutes 39 seconds.  I couldn't complain about that!    

Before getting to some pics, let me just warn you that I have zero pictures of the actual eclipse.  That was by design.  Since I don't have a camera that could take worthwhile pictures of an eclipse, and I knew that the internet would provide all the pictures of this event that anyone could ever hope for, I decided that once the moon began crossing in front of the sun late Monday morning, the phone was getting put down and I was simply going to enjoy the show.  

We arrived on Sunday to enjoy the afternoon and evening at the site.  Totality was scheduled for around 1:30 the next afternoon, and checkout wasn't until 3pm, so this would work out nicely.  We set up our site, and soon were sitting lakeside enjoying some beers, and watching Anna collect leaves.

h1TL1lhOtxkOpNYX6b54IwECJk4Ar0MOAt07CyC-

_OMSoJY3_g1CxYi98yxjjS8r0A4By5glv7Ab7N4q

YqCMmQnb-2f73LwRby0owx2txKv0rwmE0OxhZn5L

I have been camping here regularly for over 10 years, and I never tire of this view.

DhAtq7Sn23R4ByN_FgO1kBjyuqI_BGvZn0kPijUe

iuu95W94UKzoz0H6bk9Hgrou9ZVk-iZVSq5VXHKI

Is that enough Anna pics?  

Maybe one more.

N94o1fjrJdil_1WOXLP0_V8kJQXbctzDvu_Wfo-B

The next morning was spent sitting under the awning, enjoying coffee, and waiting for the action.  None of us truly knew what to expect, but I had read enough that I tried to prepare INC and the girls for some things to look for.  For instance, I was hoping that we would be fortunate and see the elusive "shadow bands", which occur just before and just after totality, and look like thousands of snakes wriggling along the ground.  We also, of course, wanted to see the famous diamond ring, and I also wanted to be prepared to see the 360 degree sunset, plus to aware of the changes in ambient sounds from animals, insects, etc.  There would be a lot to observe and experience in 2 1/2 minutes, so we needed to be prepared.  

We tried on our glasses....which I had purchased a year in advance, fearing there would be shortages.  Which there were!  And these were certified, unless those phony ones being sold in the weeks leading up to the eclipse.  

NbVzkOrvZ3k_3xNDYU2EzCY71LxWbIT0e0GpA9hr

Ay_WgmDaOg1ufHQdUl9lx8SReyPAW-ctOHXQIs_m

Excitement Selfie!

2z7yc3tmIFhwqYAmlMDmEyQ_QJC1xpw3_nS0ICW1

Now...you may notice there aren't pictures of Anna wearing eclipse glasses.  We debated over that for some time.  She won't keep glasses on easily, much less dark ones that you cannot see through in normal light.  So we were fairly certain she wouldn't keep them on.  And since we were all staring at the sky, we were fairly certain she may have looked at the sun without protection, which could have catastrophic results for her eyesight.  Furthermore, her cognitive level is such that, even if she could view the eclipse safely, she would have no understanding of what was going on, and it could possibly be fearful for her.  So we decided that the safest approach for her was to keep her inside during totality, doing what she enjoys doing, like coloring and watching a movie.  So, here's Anna in her eclipse position.  

B67YONXqWbKSdg_qSaojyeRziMYgihfrR9-VAj8v

That's actually all the pics I have.  The eclipse began around noon, being the point when the moon began crossing in front of the sun.  Totality was approximately 90 minutes later.  We casually watched during the early phases, keeping an eye on the sky, and sitting and visiting.  As it got closer to 1:30, things really got interesting.  The world began changing, even several minutes before totality began.  The lighting got weird, animals quieted down, and there was a general stillness setting in.  

Within the minute before totality, what we were observing was similar to what we could have seen if we'd stayed at our house.  It was really very cool.  And if we hadn't seen what was yet to come, we would have thought that it was worthwhile to witness this.  But then, totality began.  

If you've witnessed totality, you will understand what I mean by this.  It was the most incredible thing I've ever witnessed.  You could say it was life changing, but that might be a stretch.  But it's certainly something I or the family will never forget.  For 2 and a half minutes, the world changed.  We did witness the shadow bands, both before and after totality.  We saw the 360 degree sunset all around the horizon.  The sun itself was amazingly beautiful.  The diamond ring was very cool.  The world was still, and eerie, yet gorgeous.  I'll never forget it.  And I want to see it again.  Which we plan to do in 6 years.  Yes, that's right.  There is another opportunity in 2024.  This one will run a path of totality from Texas up to northern New England.  It will cross directly over Buffalo and Niagara Falls.  I think it would be cool to witness this in my home town, so we may travel up there to see it.  The path of this next one makes it accessible to the vast majority of you in no more than a day's drive.  If you haven't seen an eclipse before, or even if you have, I highly suggest you make plans to get yourself into the path of totality on April 8, 2024.  You won't regret it.  

Your detailed description of the totality is a perfect example of why pictures on trip reports are not necessary. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing everyone's pictures. Yet the words you chose to use created a better picture than any camera could have taken.

17 minutes ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

Your detailed description of the totality is a perfect example of why pictures on trip reports are not necessary. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing everyone's pictures. Yet the words you chose to use created a better picture than any camera could have taken.

Thanks Yvonne!  

Atlanta wasn't in total totality, so I drove the kids about an hour north to Demorest, GA.  Oh my gosh.  Like you, I remember bits of the partial back in 1979.  I was 8 and we lived in Washington state, so we saw about 98% totality.  

Your description of the moment, and the moments surrounding it, was perfect.  It was amazing.  Shaking my head as I type... gives me chills.  I HAVE to do it again.  Had I know, how amazing it was going to be, I would have driven another hour just get a few more seconds.  I want to say, that we had close to 2 minutes of totality. 

2024 baby!