The Year In Review: DIT Takes Disney Love To A New Level In 2017

18 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Atlanta wasn't in total totality, so I drove the kids about an hour north to Demorest, GA.  Oh my gosh.  Like you, I remember bits of the partial back in 1979.  I was 8 and we lived in Washington state, so we saw about 98% totality.  

Your description of the moment, and the moments surrounding it, was perfect.  It was amazing.  Shaking my head as I type... gives me chills.  I HAVE to do it again.  Had I know, how amazing it was going to be, I would have driven another hour just get a few more seconds.  I want to say, that we had close to 2 minutes of totality. 

2024 baby!  

Grand Gathering in Niagara Falls, April 2024.  

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy New Year!! It's hard to believe 2017 is over, and 2018 is here.  For a variety of reasons, 2017 was a bit of a tough year around the DIT ranch.  I got off-line to focus on more important th

Yes, I'm still alive. A little bird told me that Dave was embarrassing himself by doing a TR, so I needed to read how he crashed and burned..........this time. I sure hope he didn't run into Melvin th

Trip #5 - Fall Break at Dollywood Our kids typically get 3 days off in October for fall break, which makes for a 5 day weekend.  Not long enough to head to the Fort unless we pulled them out of s

All caught up.

I’m really enjoying your TR.

Just a few comments.

Was that your first time at Typhoon Lagoon?  

We went a few years back and really enjoyed the place. I read somewhere they removed the shark reef. Or whatever it was called. And that really SMBs it was one of our favorite things we did there.  

Father’s Day.

What a great way to spend your special day. Great choice for dinner.  You can’t go wrong with a good beer and an accordion.

BTW It looks like your DD(2) was at the KOA with you But I didn’t notice your son-in-law in any of the pictures. Was that Disneyland, club 33 rezzie stealing son-in-law not there with y’all.  Lol  

Solar eclipse.

Unfortunately we were outside the line of totality.   It was really cool to see it here in Oklahoma. but after your description I wish we would’ve driven five hours north to see the whole thing. The good news is the clips in 2024 cuts a cross the south east corner of  Oklahoma. The band’s outer edge comes right across our place at Lake tenkiller. So I don’t think we will be heading to Buffalo New York. But y’all are welcome  to come out here. 

Your post describing your experience with the solar eclipse is a masterpiece. I, too, recall the hype surrounding the solar eclipse in the '70's, and how underwhelming that ended up being. So, I had low expectations for the 2017 eclipse. We did nothing special to view it here in Florida, but I did take a look through what were probably fake and unsafe eclipse glasses. Not a big deal here at all. 

But, you have got me thinking about the next one!

Well done!

TCD

10 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

I read somewhere they removed the shark reef. Or whatever it was called. And that really SMBs it was one of our favorite things we did there.

Yes, Shark Reef is closed. As far as I can tell, it hasn't been removed. It's just rotting behind a wall. Disney has perfected that technique with closed attractions. 

I agree with you- it was a fun thing to do.  We always participated every time we visited Typhoon Lagoon  

TCD

15 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

I think I will catch 2024 from home. Enjoy the falls.

No sense leaving Texas for that one.  

13 hours ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

That sounds great to me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Now we just have to hope the snow is gone by then.  Early April can be dicey in Buffalo.  

2 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

All caught up.

I’m really enjoying your TR.

Just a few comments.

Was that your first time at Typhoon Lagoon?  

We went a few years back and really enjoyed the place. I read somewhere they removed the shark reef. Or whatever it was called. And that really SMBs it was one of our favorite things we did there.  

Father’s Day.

What a great way to spend your special day. Great choice for dinner.  You can’t go wrong with a good beer and an accordion.

BTW It looks like your DD(2) was at the KOA with you But I didn’t notice your son-in-law in any of the pictures. Was that Disneyland, club 33 rezzie stealing son-in-law not there with y’all.  Lol  

Solar eclipse.

Unfortunately we were outside the line of totality.   It was really cool to see it here in Oklahoma. but after your description I wish we would’ve driven five hours north to see the whole thing. The good news is the clips in 2024 cuts a cross the south east corner of  Oklahoma. The band’s outer edge comes right across our place at Lake tenkiller. So I don’t think we will be heading to Buffalo New York. But y’all are welcome  to come out here. 

Yes, that was the first time we ever visited a Disney water park.  I had heard about the Shark Reef but never experienced it.  

Our daughter came for the day to spent some pool time with us, and joined us for dinner.  Son in law was working if I remember right.  

Wherever you go, just make sure you are in the path of totality next time.  

2 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Your post describing your experience with the solar eclipse is a masterpiece. I, too, recall the hype surrounding the solar eclipse in the '70's, and how underwhelming that ended up being. So, I had low expectations for the 2017 eclipse. We did nothing special to view it here in Florida, but I did take a look through what were probably fake and unsafe eclipse glasses. Not a big deal here at all. 

But, you have got me thinking about the next one!

Well done!

TCD

I realize your girls will be fully into their own lives in 2024, but you and Mrs TCD can make a nice trip out of it and go see the eclipse.  Do it.  

Yes, Shark Reef is closed. As far as I can tell, it hasn't been removed. It's just rotting behind a wall. Disney has perfected that technique with closed attractions. 

I agree with you- it was a fun thing to do.  We always participated every time we visited Typhoon Lagoon  

TCD

Rotting attractions behind walls??  That's not the Mouse I know.  

21 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

I realize your girls will be fully into their own lives in 2024, but you and Mrs TCD can make a nice trip out of it and go see the eclipse.  Do it.  

2024 seems so far away, but we all know how time flies! 

My oldest DD went to Buffalo on business a couple of years ago,  and really liked the city (it was spring), and one of Twin #1's current roommates is a nice young lady from Buffalo. I met her parents when the girls were moving in, and they are both really nice. 

Plus, I've never seen Niagra Falls. 

So maybe?

TCD

2024 seems so far away, but we all know how time flies! 

My oldest DD went to Buffalo on business a couple of years ago,  and really liked the city (it was spring), and one of Twin #1's current roommates is a nice young lady from Buffalo. I met her parents when the girls were moving in, and they are both really nice. 

Plus, I've never seen Niagra Falls. 

So maybe?

TCD

I was just looking at the maps for the 2024 eclipse, and am rethinking my plan potentially.  The 2024 eclipse will offer us a longer period of totality than last year's eclipse did.  While we experienced 2 1/2 minutes of totality last year, Buffalo will experience 3 1/2 minutes of totality in 2024.  However, that increases the further south you go.  South Texas will experience FOUR and 1/2 minutes of totality!  So, perhaps we'll head southwest, rather than north.  Grand Gathering in the Hill Country!!

2 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Well haven't told them yet but just decided I'll be in Texas at my aunt and uncle's in April 2024 they are about 12 miles from the line of totality. Really want to see this one but had family in town so couldn't travel to see it. 

Based on my response to TCD above....that seems like a great plan!

27 minutes ago, Robin said:

Really enjoying your report!

Thanks!  

8 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

If you don't mind, please post a link to a good map for the eclipse. I Googled it, and there is too much information out there already. 

TCD

Here's the one I found that lets you zoom in to see city's more clearly.

https://www.eclipse-chasers.com/php/tseCalculatorBig2.php?TSE=tse2024d

47 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

If you don't mind, please post a link to a good map for the eclipse. I Googled it, and there is too much information out there already. 

TCD

38 minutes ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Thanks Derek....that's the same site I was viewing earlier.  

I've always wanted to visit Fredericksburg, TX.  Seems like a perfect place to view the eclipse.  

2 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

I was just looking at the maps for the 2024 eclipse, and am rethinking my plan potentially.  The 2024 eclipse will offer us a longer period of totality than last year's eclipse did.  While we experienced 2 1/2 minutes of totality last year, Buffalo will experience 3 1/2 minutes of totality in 2024.  However, that increases the further south you go.  South Texas will experience FOUR and 1/2 minutes of totality!  So, perhaps we'll head southwest, rather than north.  Grand Gathering in the Hill Country!!

4.5 minutes!  Holy Moly!  That's awesome!!

2 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Thanks for posting that link. That’s a lot more accurate than the map I was looking at. Could you explain to me what the green lines represent on that map.? Am I correct in assuming that the line of totality is a band as wide as the green lines represent?Thanks for posting that link. That’s a lot more accurate than the map I was looking at. Could you explain to me what the green lines represent on that map.? Am I correct in assuming that the line of totality is a band as wide as the green lines represent?

Yes Ray, the green lines represent totality.   If you are inside the green lines you will experience totality.   But the closer to the green lines, the shorter totality will last.  Right on the green line it may last only a second or two.   You want to get as close to the center as possible, which is represented by the red line.   

3 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

Thanks Derek....that's the same site I was viewing earlier.  

I've always wanted to visit Fredericksburg, TX.  Seems like a perfect place to view the eclipse.  

Kingsland is where my family is out there. Fredericksburg is nice though haven't been there in years. Remember my mom doing a lot of shopping while we were there.

14 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

Yes Ray, the green lines represent totality.   If you are inside the green lines you will experience totality.   But the closer to the green lines, the shorter totality will last.  Right on the green line it may last only a second or two.   You want to get as close to the center as possible, which is represented by the red line.   

Thanks for the info.

btw. Fredericksburg is a great little German town.   It seems like the whole area is Little Germany  

It will probably be to cold but the original Schlitterbahn waterpark in close by in New Braunsfel Texas.  It is consistently voted one of the best water parks in America. 

4 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Thanks for the info.

btw. Fredericksburg is a great little German town.   It seems like the whole area is Little Germany  

It will probably be to cold but the original Schlitterbahn waterpark in close by in New Braunsfel Texas.  It is consistently voted one of the best water parks in America. 

If you're in New Braunfels don't forget to float the Guadalupe River and go camping at Camp Huaco Springs

9 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

If you're in New Braunfels don't forget to float the Guadalupe River and go camping at Camp Huaco Springs

So is that your favorite campground around there?  We've never camped there but have looked at it a few times and I hadn't even heard of that one.

Any suggestions around Austin also?

Thanks!