The Year In Review: DIT Takes Disney Love To A New Level In 2017

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy New Year!! It's hard to believe 2017 is over, and 2018 is here.  For a variety of reasons, 2017 was a bit of a tough year around the DIT ranch.  I got off-line to focus on more important th

Yes, I'm still alive. A little bird told me that Dave was embarrassing himself by doing a TR, so I needed to read how he crashed and burned..........this time. I sure hope he didn't run into Melvin th

Trip #5 - Fall Break at Dollywood Our kids typically get 3 days off in October for fall break, which makes for a 5 day weekend.  Not long enough to head to the Fort unless we pulled them out of s

4 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

If that was the case a tent site now $400.00 per night.

Probably so.  Ok, it's not the beach at the Fort.  But it is coming up fairly soon in this report.  

4 hours ago, BigTom said:

Don't give the any ideas

I don't think the Mouse needs any help coming up with money making schemes.

3 hours ago, Starbuc71 said:

Wow. Great to see DIT on the site, let alone doing a trip report. Great so far. Looking forward to more fun 

Thanks Dave.

3 hours ago, dblr....Rennie said:

Dave, we just did lunch the other day at Geyser Point and it was GREAT!!!!!!! Bison burger and a spot looking out at Bay Lake during the holiday rush was the perfect spot to dodge the crowds.

We really have enjoyed our visits there this year.

2 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

We really like Geyser Point it's a great place to hang out. Especially when my sister was there on DVC points.

DVC at the Lodge would be pretty nice.  If you were into Disney, that is.  

1 hour ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

Very nice start! Glad you and INC got some "date time"

Oh yes....that is always good.

1 hour ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Just keep buying those flights to get those points... you know I'm a little prejudice.

I know.  I have a feeling I'll be helping out your family outfit a lot more this year too. 

1 hour ago, Lantana said:

This is great! I love WL too.
Guess I’ll have to keep reading to learn if and why you really hate Disney, lol :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, there will be plenty of examples of why I hate Disney.  Isn't that already obvious?  :ROFLMAO-1:

I've always said, if we we're going to stay at a resort, it would be the Lodge.  Hands down, it's my favorite.  Having grown up, in the PNW, it's a bit of home.

You and Tom share the year...next year should be fun.  He thinks it's hilarious, that AARP notification will start coming soon.  I don't find it funny.  Lucky for me, you boys have a three year head start so...you'll have to laugh, without me.

Anna..good grief, she was adorable.  Please tell her, that Ms. NaCole says that yes, she may go to the park.  Cracked me up, how she traveled the table, looking for the answer she wanted ?

Happy you two got some time together.  Excited to hear about the cruise!  

It’s been a several years since our Disney Cruise so I’m excited to hear about it.  

We stopped by geyser point last summer and loved the atmosphere.   It’s a great place to sit, enjoy the view and relax.   

Photo tip:  to take a better selfie just take it  of INC and stay out of it. ?   That’s what I do.  Every selfie I take only has my DW in it  ? 

Am I the only one who opened this thread expecting to see a photo of an oooey gooey cinnamon roll? Got fooled by that one a lot in the past. 

Looking forward to reading/seeing your 2017 adventures including any food/drink photos.  I've been on the Dream and Wonder (before refurb) and I liked the Wonder the best. 

16 hours ago, kadancer said:

We haven't tried Geyser Point yet.  Hope to soon.  

The waffle fries alone are worth the trip over there.  

14 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

I've always said, if we we're going to stay at a resort, it would be the Lodge.  Hands down, it's my favorite.  Having grown up, in the PNW, it's a bit of home.

You and Tom share the year...next year should be fun.  He thinks it's hilarious, that AARP notification will start coming soon.  I don't find it funny.  Lucky for me, you boys have a three year head start so...you'll have to laugh, without me.

Anna..good grief, she was adorable.  Please tell her, that Ms. NaCole says that yes, she may go to the park.  Cracked me up, how she traveled the table, looking for the answer she wanted ?

Happy you two got some time together.  Excited to hear about the cruise!  

Other than a couple of notable births, 1968 wasn't exactly a great year in American history.  But having Tom and I in the world likely overcomes some riots, assassinations, wars, etc.  Right?  

10 hours ago, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

I’m here late, but IN!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About time you showed up.  

10 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Everything you said in that sentence was wrong. 

JK. That is exactly what I was thinking of. 

TCD

I figured.

10 hours ago, Slapwacky said:

In

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Good.

10 hours ago, keith_h said:

Neither have we. It is on our list for our upcoming trip in February.

Go.  

9 hours ago, Ivy said:

Looking forward to your trip report and photos. 

Thanks!

2 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

It’s been a several years since our Disney Cruise so I’m excited to hear about it.  

We stopped by geyser point last summer and loved the atmosphere.   It’s a great place to sit, enjoy the view and relax.   

Photo tip:  to take a better selfie just take it  of INC and stay out of it. ?   That’s what I do.  Every selfie I take only has my DW in it  ? 

Good point.  I'll try that.  

1 hour ago, wdwpoohbear...Jennifer said:

A trip report from DIT?  Yay!!  I am a little late to it but I can't wait to read more!

Thanks!

31 minutes ago, Seals said:

Am I the only one who opened this thread expecting to see a photo of an oooey gooey cinnamon roll? Got fooled by that one a lot in the past. 

Looking forward to reading/seeing your 2017 adventures including any food/drink photos.  I've been on the Dream and Wonder (before refurb) and I liked the Wonder the best. 

Better??

Cinnamon-Roll.jpg?6fcd74

Welcome aboard to everyone!  Thanks for reading and for commenting!!

After settling into our room, we decided we needed a bite to eat.  I was very interested in checking out Geyser Point, which had just opened that week.  In fact, it had opened on Monday, Feb 13, and we were there on Wednesday the 15th, so while I'm sure we weren't the first Fiends to visit the place, we had to be one of the first handful.  

Here is what we saw upon walking toward the place.  Keep in mind, while most folks have visited by now or at least seen pictures of it, this was all really new to us and walking up, I thought it looked beautiful.  

EltmGVWqfIRAufGYxPDP8k2TBXKI7YJP1e2HC85v

At the time there was quite a bit of speculation online about whether they have the ability to close the place up somewhat in inclement weather.  I took these pics to show the tracks for the storm shutters.

CCWlRKwilbtU-yqUPrBcKMFPJ5c9RuzoZnPwUkXo

M83dXQxNKZ9xUnMkm5BdKm4T-QoRCUIaDXbVQwzx

We got some great seats close to the lake, which I took the above pics from, and soon enough a server came over to take our drink order.  

Xw5CbGagVq-3XRiXKxe_zzNcm0Ey5Y3NF-Q_pgW9

Not a bad view, eh?

ZHGgZc7Z-bowldk3cnlPBE-AB9Ma3lEkoKlTqk0u

With a bit of zoom, you can even see the shoe tree from here!

8E0KQG7PLz5Kbmk77wTbr2wJnBY8uFEXJBGWv0WB

We ordered some food....if I recall correctly we had some sort of sandwich, which came with the now world famous Geyser Point WAFFLE FRIES!!  I don't have a pic (honestly, I stopped taking so many food pics over the last couple of years as I had no intention of doing any trip reports), but those fries are GREAT!  They rival Chick Fil A's waffle fries, IMO.  

After enjoying Geyser Point, we explored some of the construction areas around the Lodge.  DVC construction was in full swing at that point, and it was fun checking out all that was going on.  

4wjY1SvLkMXl3FoqmsrmKRCGeHRvbmia8TgVX1JI  

UzE9T6E4UyC4VSqfaVHVlFMRmkRs2CMK7IsXS9xF

XIR03reU17npclx6iCgCo3vfjuAVpu5EE5WD72wr

We headed back to the room to rest for a bit.  Before dinner, I decided to check out the balcony.  Not a bad view for a single night resting spot.

C4bdw1_yhQOCl61HmfFGoTeKGc5ANvf1gpiJtWel

So it was now evening, and INC and I were at WDW without kids.  The world was at our fingertips!!  Before the trip, I had researched restaurants, menus, and transportation options.  But everytime I presented a plan to INC, we collectively thought "nah".  Neither of us are the biggest fans of sitting in a restaurant for a multi-course meal with wine and all that stuff.  We much prefer hitting a couple of lounges for drinks and apps.  So I didn't make a dining ADR for this night.  I originally thought we'd do a monorail crawl, including hitting Trader Sam's, but after traveling that day and it being pretty chilly that evening, we ended up just hanging out at Territory Lounge.  And let me tell you....that was a good call.  It was FAN-freakin-TASTIC!   Cozy, relaxing, and all around enjoyable.  

We ordered some beverages.

uT6r0ZkF29A4UH-xnulSxGXC7pW3xHE0w2RRHqcY

And some of the pretzel fondue stuff....holy crap this was delicious stuff!

svi7zsSaxStWd7ImAMmmpPCx6K9I2RZR9YoTPZw8

We don't eat much cheese, so it doesn't always "sit well" when I do...but this stuff was worth it.  

I'm pretty sure we had another appetizer or two, but no pics so I don't recall....

I do know that we had the donuts for dessert.  They weren't on the Territory Lounge menu at that time, but we asked our server and they happily got them from Artist Point (which is the same kitchen anyways I presume).  

wLrCVpid03PBbHwkCrsn_uLhY00uAt_5g1MeoE5g

We chatted a bit with the bartender, and it turned out she was also boarding the Wonder the next day for a cruise!  We actually ran into her a couple of times on board that week, which was pretty cool.  

I'm guessing she paid significantly less for the cruise than we did.  :rolleyes:

We hung out at the lounge for quite a while, even lingering to have an after dinner drink which we rarely do.  It was nice knowing that all we had to do was wander back upstairs when we were ready to turn in.  Which we did.  

Coming up in the next update, we'll take the DCL bus to the port and board the newly refurbished DISNEY WONDER!  But before we do that, we have another adventure planned....    

The picture of the tracks (on the walk)...super cute.  Hadn't noticed those, when we visited in November.  We too spent some time at Geyser Point (Tom wants to make a point, of watching a game over there ;)); we like it.  It has a nice feel to it.  I will say, that I noticed that the cushions were not handling the traffic/weather that well so... my guess is, they'll need to swap those out (at least) once a year.  It's a nice place though.

That cheese/pretzel thing looks crazy good, as do those donuts!

41 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

I originally thought we'd do a monorail crawl, including hitting Trader Sam's, but after traveling that day and it being pretty chilly that evening, we ended up just hanging out at Territory Lounge.  And let me tell you....that was a good call.  It was FAN-freakin-TASTIC!   Cozy, relaxing, and all around enjoyable.  

I'm sure it was a Fiend who tipped me off to the Territory Lounge. I like that place a lot too. In fact my Mom and I have been known to go there twice in the same trip. Quiet, cozy, no ADR required, good food. Can't go wrong, really!

1 hour ago, DaveInTN said:

we ended up just hanging out at Territory Lounge.  And let me tell you....that was a good call.  It was FAN-freakin-TASTIC!   Cozy, relaxing, and all around enjoyable.  

40 minutes ago, wendinator said:

I'm sure it was a Fiend who tipped me off to the Territory Lounge. I like that place a lot too. In fact my Mom and I have been known to go there twice in the same trip. Quiet, cozy, no ADR required, good food. Can't go wrong, really!

Rene and I always make a stop by the Territory Lounge. It is one our favorite places to relax with a drink and a midevening meal of appetizers.