The Year In Review: DIT Takes Disney Love To A New Level In 2017

Oh man.... food, food, and more food. I hope you brought a bottle of Tums.

My guess is that’s not a real service animal.

I need to check the kid into the club and have even an hour of Serenity Bay time next cruise!

Lou!

I can't figure out how to split a quote anymore...

Comments on Boudin:

Pirate Buffet:  We were sad to find out they don't do the pirate night buffet any more, at least not on our cruise in December.  Has anyone else experienced that?  Honestly it wasn't a big loss to us, but we were planning to go, our waiters said that they stopped doing it based on customer feedback.  Which is odd because it was packed on our first cruise.

Looking forward to more!

WBI

We had one on the Dream in September. If that’s the case, it’s really new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy New Year!! It's hard to believe 2017 is over, and 2018 is here.  For a variety of reasons, 2017 was a bit of a tough year around the DIT ranch.  I got off-line to focus on more important th

Yes, I'm still alive. A little bird told me that Dave was embarrassing himself by doing a TR, so I needed to read how he crashed and burned..........this time. I sure hope he didn't run into Melvin th

Trip #5 - Fall Break at Dollywood Our kids typically get 3 days off in October for fall break, which makes for a 5 day weekend.  Not long enough to head to the Fort unless we pulled them out of s

Dave can sure generate a lot of jumping off points.

The dog guy seems a bit much. Truth be told, most dogs I've come across, act better than a big chunk of kids I've run into. Lol

I know it sounds pedestrian and blue collar, but during our June cruise, some of my favorite meals were at cabanas. Get some great food and a table along those floor to ceiling windows, and relax with a beautiful view,

Second favorite thing was to sit out on the top deck. I'm not much of a sun worshipper, but I giggled when people when come out onto a nice sun drenched deck in the middle of the Caribbean with no shoes. Watching them run from one little piece of shade to next was entettaining.

I love boats big and small. If I'm driving, I make sure to get my money's worth out of the throttle cable. ;)

1 hour ago, LONE-STAR said:

I didn't know you could take a dog on a cruise. How much extra is that?

We had an elderly lady that had a therapy dog on cruise once.    And as soon as those people that bring their dog everywhere they go find out they can bring them on a cruise ship. There will dogs all over the ships. 

Caught up. 

Looks like you and INC are having a great time.  

All you can eat hot wings!!!  Even though I wasn’t born in Buffalo I consider myself a hot wing aficionado.   And consider it blasphemy to serve ranch with wings  

Btw. back when I use to manage restaurants I hired a cook that said he had worked at the Anchor bar.   That may or may not have influenced my decision to hire him.  As I worked at a sports bar & grill.   But his wings were awesome!

loved castaway cay.  But we never made it to serenity bay. Thanks for taking us there and showing us around.  It seems like y’all had a great day.  And really enjoyed your day at the beach  

But I’m confused?   I thought you both hated the beach.  ? ? 

12 hours ago, Lou... said:

Yes, I'm still alive. A little bird told me that Dave was embarrassing himself by doing a TR, so I needed to to read how he crashed and burned..........this time. I sure hope he didn't run into Melvin the Moose on his cruise. All we need now is for TnBob to show up. 

Happy to see you, Lou...

13 hours ago, Lou... said:

Yes, I'm still alive. A little bird told me that Dave was embarrassing himself by doing a TR, so I needed to to read how he crashed and burned..........this time. I sure hope he didn't run into Melvin the Moose on his cruise. All we need now is for TnBob to show up. 

OK!

Who left the backdoor open?

JK!  Good to see you here again.  

20 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Funny thing is, I grew up riding the ferry boats (the big ferry boats) and they didn't bother me however.... I could see land.  The idea, of not seeing land, and the possibility of being on rough seas...combine that with the sheer size (would make my "big" ferry boat probably looks like a dingy) and yeah... SMH now.  I don't know.  Tom really wants to go on one... but... sigh.

I was like that on my first cruise. I wanted to go but then during the mandatory emergency drill I started to panic.  The seas were pretty rough that evening and I stressed out a lot that first night. But then after we docked the next day at Nassau and then were back on the ship I was fine. I knew land was out there. The second cruise I did the same panic during the mandatory emergency drill. But then when inside the ship I just pretended I was at a mall or hotel or restaurant on land. When I was sitting on deck I pretended that land was on the other side of the ship at all times. Don't know how good you are at fooling yourself but it worked for me. I tend to get anxiety and I've developed that technique over the years. 

11 minutes ago, Seals said:

I was like that on my first cruise. I wanted to go but then during the mandatory emergency drill I started to panic.  The seas were pretty rough that evening and I stressed out a lot that first night. But then after we docked the next day at Nassau and then were back on the ship I was fine. I knew land was out there. The second cruise I did the same panic during the mandatory emergency drill. But then when inside the ship I just pretended I was at a mall or hotel or restaurant on land. When I was sitting on deck I pretended that land was on the other side of the ship at all times. Don't know how good you are at fooling yourself but it worked for me. I tend to get anxiety and I've developed that technique over the years. 

Good tip.  Truth be told, I did book us a Disney cruise back in 2011.  I want to say it was a 3 night cruise (I know it was the shortest they offered and it included Disney's island which was the only thing I really wanted to see) and I did so as they primarily seemed to travel during the night so I figured I could drug myself up to sleep.  Haha.  I keep telling myself, that if I can handle a ferry, I can handle a cruise...but then I see these videos of people having a hard time standing up (in rough seas) and I find it hard to breathe.  I think I would be like you, panic during those drills and one of the few people who focused in on what they were saying and counting the number of steps from the cabin to the emergency boats.  IF the seas were calm, I might be okay inside the boat...then again, you're in the middle of this huge metal structure (with no windows) in the middle of the ocean.  Actually...that might make me panic even more.  

Thankfully, I purchased the travel insurance as I got pregnant with our son and we had to cancel (went to WDW instead).  Funny story there.... I was actually planning to go on the cruise, but was talking with a girlfriend who had gone previously.  My friend asked how far along I would be and I told her 36 weeks and she laughed and told me that, "they won't let you on the ship".  I had no idea.  We would have shown up:  my husband, our daughter and one big-ole' pregnant woman with our luggage and plans to travel.  Glad I talked with her first! :lol:

12 hours ago, Beckers said:

I don’t know how you willingly walked back on the boat after the private island day, pretty sure they would have had to take me kicking and screaming. That looks like pure heaven.

It was heaven.  But believe it or not, after the massage we were ready to get away from the sand.  

11 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

Nice to see you post. Keep it up.

Don't encourage him.  

11 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

I didn't know you could take a dog on a cruise. How much extra is that?

Good question....anyone know?  Or, is it free for emotional support animals?  Can I bring my pony?

11 hours ago, caveat lector said:

Lou and Dave are here so it's time for the "feats of strength"

More like the airing of grievances.  

11 hours ago, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

Oh man.... food, food, and more food. I hope you brought a bottle of Tums.

My guess is that’s not a real service animal.

I need to check the kid into the club and have even an hour of Serenity Bay time next cruise!

Lou!

We had one on the Dream in September. If that’s the case, it’s really new.

Definitely need to explore kids club options on the island for Anna.  Our last experience regarding accommodations onboard wasn't great on DCL, but that was 5 years ago and she was a lot younger.  (If my math is correct, she was 5 years younger).  

11 hours ago, caveat lector said:

Dave can sure generate a lot of jumping off points.

The dog guy seems a bit much. Truth be told, most dogs I've come across, act better than a big chunk of kids I've run into. Lol

I know it sounds pedestrian and blue collar, but during our June cruise, some of my favorite meals were at cabanas. Get some great food and a table along those floor to ceiling windows, and relax with a beautiful view,

Second favorite thing was to sit out on the top deck. I'm not much of a sun worshipper, but I giggled when people when come out onto a nice sun drenched deck in the middle of the Caribbean with no shoes. Watching them run from one little piece of shade to next was entettaining.

I love boats big and small. If I'm driving, I make sure to get my money's worth out of the throttle cable. ;)

I really enjoy Cabanas too.  I like going out onto the aft deck at the back of the restaurant in the morning.  

And yes, those decks can get HOT!  

10 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

We had an elderly lady that had a therapy dog on cruise once.    And as soon as those people that bring their dog everywhere they go find out they can bring them on a cruise ship. There will dogs all over the ships. 

Where do they poop?

9 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Caught up. 

Looks like you and INC are having a great time.  

All you can eat hot wings!!!  Even though I wasn’t born in Buffalo I consider myself a hot wing aficionado.   And consider it blasphemy to serve ranch with wings  

Btw. back when I use to manage restaurants I hired a cook that said he had worked at the Anchor bar.   That may or may not have influenced my decision to hire him.  As I worked at a sports bar & grill.   But his wings were awesome!

loved castaway cay.  But we never made it to serenity bay. Thanks for taking us there and showing us around.  It seems like y’all had a great day.  And really enjoyed your day at the beach  

But I’m confused?   I thought you both hated the beach.  ? ? 

I do hate the beach.  But Serenity Bay is a Disney beach.  I think it's artificial Chinese sand.  It doesn't stick to you.  :lol:

1 hour ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Happy to see you, Lou...

Again, don't encourage him.  

1 hour ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

OK!

Who left the backdoor open?

JK!  Good to see you here again.  

He's just here to juice his reputation points because I'm gaining on him.  

31 minutes ago, Seals said:

Those drills can be a little alarming.  Glad you've developed a mechanism that works for you to cope. 

11 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Good tip.  Truth be told, I did book us a Disney cruise back in 2011.  I want to say it was a 3 night cruise (I know it was the shortest they offered and it included Disney's island which was the only thing I really wanted to see) and I did so as they primarily seemed to travel during the night so I figured I could drug myself up to sleep.  Haha.  I keep telling myself, that if I can handle a ferry, I can handle a cruise...but then I see these videos of people having a hard time standing up (in rough seas) and I find it hard to breathe.  I think I would be like you, panic during those drills and one of the few people who focused in on what they were saying and counting the number of steps from the cabin to the emergency boats.  IF the seas were calm, I might be okay inside the boat...then again, you're in the middle of this huge metal structure (with no windows) in the middle of the ocean.  Actually...that might make me panic even more.  

Thankfully, I purchased the travel insurance as I got pregnant with our son and we had to cancel (went to WDW instead).  Funny story there.... I was actually planning to go on the cruise, but was talking with a girlfriend who had gone previously.  My friend asked how far along I would be and I told her 36 weeks and she laughed and told me that, "they won't let you on the ship".  I had no idea.  We would have shown up:  my husband, our daughter and one big-ole' pregnant woman with our luggage and plans to travel.  Glad I talked with her first! :lol:

Can you imagine getting to the cruise terminal and not being able to board.  I always worry that I will forget something critical like a passport, and be denied boarding.  That would be awful.  

6 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

Can you imagine getting to the cruise terminal and not being able to board.  I always worry that I will forget something critical like a passport, and be denied boarding.  That would be awful.  

That was my thought!  Tom laughed when I told him...I said, "what would we have done?".  He said, "Well, not sure what you would have done, but your daughter and I would have gone a cruise" :lol:

3 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

Where do they poop?.  

On the WONDER and MAGIC the pet relief area is located on Deck 4 forward, starboard  next to the jogging/walking path as you approach the anchor chain area. Typical DISNEY every time we've gone by it looks unused.

3 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

That was my thought!  Tom laughed when I told him...I said, "what would we have done?".  He said, "Well, not sure what you would have done, but your daughter and I would have gone a cruise" :lol:

:bell_winner-bf:

2 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

On the WONDER and MAGIC the pet relief area is located on Deck 4 forward, starboard  next to the jogging/walking path as you approach the anchor chain area. Typical DISNEY every time we've gone by it looks unused.

Now that you mention it, I recall seeing that when walking the track.  

Just out of curiosity I called Carnival cruises. And spoke with the people in charge of guests with special needs. They will allow true service dogs, at no charge on any of their ships. She was very specific about what a service dog is. A service dog must do an actual job for the guest. I. E. Guide a blind person or react to a seizure. 

They absolutely do not allow any sort of emotional support dogs/animals on their ships with one exception. A PTSD dog that does an actual job for the person. Example,  if the person gets anxiety from being in large crowds and the dog is trained to sit on the person to relieve the anxiety.   They just can’t be there to be petted. They will provide a pet relive box on stateroom balcony but not in a regular room. You must use the box(es) process on deck. Animals are not allowed on ANY furniture and are not allowed to be fed outside the stateroom.  And you must provide the food for your animal. 

Playing along, I decided to see if I could find that dog elsewhere on the internet. Because I figured he/she had to be someone to be allowed on Castaway Cay.  I thought I'd found it with this site:

http://www.celebritydachshund.com/

But the dog you saw apparently wasn't Crusoe. But now I'm in awe of Crusoe and his humans and their marketing ability.  Maybe it's a Crusoe wannabe ?

4 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Just out of curiosity I called Carnival cruises. And spoke with the people in charge of guests with special needs. They will allow true service dogs, at no charge on any of their ships. She was very specific about what a service dog is. A service dog must do an actual job for the guest. I. E. Guide a blind person or react to a seizure. 

They absolutely do not allow any sort of emotional support dogs/animals on their ships with one exception. A PTSD dog that does an actual job for the person. Example,  if the person gets anxiety from being in large crowds and the dog is trained to sit on the person to relieve the anxiety.   They just can’t be there to be petted. They will provide a pet relive box on stateroom balcony but not in a regular room. You must use the box(es) process on deck. Animals are not allowed on ANY furniture and are not allowed to be fed outside the stateroom.  And you must provide the food for your animal. 

Great information, Ray.  Thanks for checking.  I have to think that DCL has a somewhat more liberal policy...since that little dog was NOT being treated like a service dog.  (At least I don't recall ever hearing about a service dog that is treated like a baby).  

1 hour ago, Seals said:

Playing along, I decided to see if I could find that dog elsewhere on the internet. Because I figured he/she had to be someone to be allowed on Castaway Cay.  I thought I'd found it with this site:

http://www.celebritydachshund.com/

But the dog you saw apparently wasn't Crusoe. But now I'm in awe of Crusoe and his humans and their marketing ability.  Maybe it's a Crusoe wannabe ?

Your "Crusoe wannabe" theory will receive some major support when I post about our next encounter with him/her.  

7 minutes ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

All caught up.  Curious about the rest of the dog story.

I'll try to get an update in yet today...but work keeps getting in the way.  

15 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Ray, I was glad to read that you also consider it blasphemy to eat your wings with ranch.  I just had a good laugh while reading a column from the local Buffalo newspaper.  A columnist named Rod Watson wrote this week, after the Bills reached the NFL playoffs for the first time in 18 years, that Buffalo fans need to keep football in perspective...because there are far more serious issues that deserve thought over football.  Bills fans didn't take too kindly to his admonition, and hundreds of them wrote comments on the paper's website.  The best comment, though, was "Rod Watson eats his chicken wings with ranch dressing."

LOL!  See...that is a SERIOUS slam against a man's integrity in Buffalo.  

http://buffalonews.com/2018/01/05/hey-rod-watson-heres-what-we-think-of-your-bills-column/?utm_medium=more_stories

44 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

Ray, I was glad to read that you also consider it blasphemy to eat your wings with ranch.  I just had a good laugh while reading a column from the local Buffalo newspaper.  A columnist named Rod Watson wrote this week, after the Bills reached the NFL playoffs for the first time in 18 years, that Buffalo fans need to keep football in perspective...because there are far more serious issues that deserve thought over football.  Bills fans didn't take too kindly to his admonition, and hundreds of them wrote comments on the paper's website.  The best comment, though, was "Rod Watson eats his chicken wings with ranch dressing."

LOL!  See...that is a SERIOUS slam against a man's integrity in Buffalo.  

http://buffalonews.com/2018/01/05/hey-rod-watson-heres-what-we-think-of-your-bills-column/?utm_medium=more_stories

Omg!  That literally made me LOL!

BTW have you ever tried the wings at the anchor?

And where is the best place to get wings in Buffalo?

5 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Omg!  That literally made me LOL!

BTW have you ever tried the wings at the anchor?

And where is the best place to get wings in Buffalo?

Yes, I've had Anchor Bar wings many times.  For 5 years I worked at Buffalo General Hospital, one block from there.  They are fine, and are famous as being the original chicken wings.  But there are lots of better wings around Buffalo, which I'm sure doesn't surprise you.  Duff's is probably the most famous.  I like their wings at the original location in Amherst but not at the newer locations.  Rooties is very good.  La Nova's are excellent, as is their pizza.  And there are dozens of local taverns and watering holes with outstanding wings.  It's not all that difficult.  they just need to be fried crispy (nothing worse than undercooked wings), and tossed in a sauce consisting of Frank's Red Hot and butter.  Some places add a dash of vinegar, or some other seasonings, but I like it simple.  Less butter for hotter...more butter for mild.  

30 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

Yes, I've had Anchor Bar wings many times.  For 5 years I worked at Buffalo General Hospital, one block from there.  They are fine, and are famous as being the original chicken wings.  But there are lots of better wings around Buffalo, which I'm sure doesn't surprise you.  Duff's is probably the most famous.  I like their wings at the original location in Amherst but not at the newer locations.  Rooties is very good.  La Nova's are excellent, as is their pizza.  And there are dozens of local taverns and watering holes with outstanding wings.  It's not all that difficult.  they just need to be fried crispy (nothing worse than undercooked wings), and tossed in a sauce consisting of Frank's Red Hot and butter.  Some places add a dash of vinegar, or some other seasonings, but I like it simple.  Less butter for hotter...more butter for mild.  

I’ve heard of Duff’s.  

But I think I’d have to hit La Nova’s.  There’s nothing better, IMHO, then pizza and wings.  As far as I’m concerned, the combo of pizza and wings is proof that God loves us. ? 

6 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Is all the food included?  On the island, room service, all the restaurants?

Yes! All the food is included, however, the room service waiters like to get a tip. Also, soft drinks are included on Disney cruises. The only extra food charge is if you go to the fancy restaurants, (Palo, and one other, I forget), there is an upcharge.

I’m in! Late, but all caught up. Loved Geyser Point when the WW went last February, though they had trouble getting all our food to us.

A Disney cruise is fo shizzle on my bucket list.

I hope to try the Territory Lounge soon.

As soon as I saw the dog, I wondered how it got to Castaway Cay. Surely, I hoped, they hadn’t let someone bring a pet on a cruise ship.

Can’t wait to read more!

2 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

I’ve heard of Duff’s.  

But I think I’d have to hit La Nova’s.  There’s nothing better, IMHO, then pizza and wings.  As far as I’m concerned, the combo of pizza and wings is proof that God loves us. ? 

La Nova is really good.  For years it served as a money laundering operation for the local mob.  And mobsters know good food, right?  LOL.  I think the place cleaned up its act after the Magaddino family that ran the Buffalo Niagara Falls mafia was busted at the Apalachin meeting, and the subsequent purges of the Buffalo union operations that were mob controlled.   But it's still very very good and worth a side trip if you ever take your family to Niagara.  

2 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Is all the food included?  On the island, room service, all the restaurants?

Carol and Dave answered already.....YES!  All included.

2 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

Yes! All the food is included, however, the room service waiters like to get a tip. Also, soft drinks are included on Disney cruises. The only extra food charge is if you go to the fancy restaurants, (Palo, and one other, I forget), there is an upcharge.

Yep...

1 hour ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

."Also, soft drinks are included on Disney cruises."...

Except room service and the lounges.

Other resturant is Remy's on the Dream and Fantasy..

Yep....

44 minutes ago, Momof6....aka Marty said:

I’m in! Late, but all caught up. Loved Geyser Point when the WW went last February, though they had trouble getting all our food to us.

A Disney cruise is fo shizzle on my bucket list.

I hope to try the Territory Lounge soon.

As soon as I saw the dog, I wondered how it got to Castaway Cay. Surely, I hoped, they hadn’t let someone bring a pet on a cruise ship.

Can’t wait to read more!

Thanks for joining in, Marty!