1st timers: Need golf cart if we have a car with us?

Welcome! The reason people like to have golf carts is because there is no car parking at many of the places around the Fort. You can park at your site, but you cannot park at the pool, settlement area where the restaurants and boat to MK are, etc. 

There is an internal bus to take you to those places. Lots of people also use bikes. 

We have never rented a golf cart. We stay in a loop about half way from each end of the campground and either walk or take the internal buses to get around. If you are in the Meadows area it is about a mile walk to either the Settlement or Outpost. The only time we've used our vehicle inside the park was to get the propane tank filled at the Meadows. It has a small number of parking sites. You could also drive to the Outpost and park in the overflow lot if you didn't want to wait for a bus.

3 hours ago, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

Welcome! The reason people like to have golf carts is because there is no car parking at many of the places around the Fort. You can park at your site, but you cannot park at the pool, settlement area where the restaurants and boat to MK are, etc. 

There is an internal bus to take you to those places. Lots of people also use bikes. 

This^

If you're healthy, you'll be fine walking or biking.  Outside of that, I would recommend a golf cart as it will just make things easier.  The campground is large and spread out.

Have a great trip!

3 minutes ago, Lantana said:

Ive been wondering about this too.
I see that there are a few parking spaces at the meadows shop? So driving around the fort in a car is not unusual? Just no/little parking?
Could I drive to settlement and drop my mom off to catch the boat to MK?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The parking at the Meadows is limited to 15 min for shopping.  As to dropping mom off it's still a pretty good walk to the boat. You can't get any closer than the 4way intersection by 100/200-400 and 700.

We have only been to FW twice.  We have had golf carts both times and enjoyed them. (Rented from Kenny).  The kids had a blast with them(yes they have a drivers license) ,Running to get soda, going to the fireworks at the beach, looping ect, the pool.  The last trip this past spring we had the carts for 8 out of the 11 day trip.  Yes the bus is not as convenient but it's not that big a deal. We stayed in the 1200 loop and the walk from the boat wasn't very long at all. 

Cheers,

Ed

On 1/2/2018 at 9:41 PM, Grumpy and Grandma said:

The parking at the Meadows is limited to 15 min for shopping.  As to dropping mom off it's still a pretty good walk to the boat. You can't get any closer than the 4way intersection by 100/200-400 and 700.

I meant to comment on this and add that I've seen folks attempt to load and unload guests at the Settlement intersection, and it is a VERY dangerous situation. There is no safe place for guests to stop there, and doing so creates a problem for all others at that busy intersection. DON'T DO IT. 

TCD

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I meant to comment on this and add that I've seen folks attempt to load and unload guests at the Settlement intersection, and it is a VERY dangerous situation. There is no safe place for guests to stop there, and doing so creates a problem for all others at that busy intersection. DON'T DO IT. 

TCD

If you just have to drop someone off, drive around the 100 loop and let them out just before the first cabin. This puts you out of traffic and closer to the settlement.

16 minutes ago, Specularius said:

If you just have to drop someone off, drive around the 100 loop and let them out just before the first cabin. This puts you out of traffic and closer to the settlement.

I don't think that's very considerate of the guests staying on the 100 loop. 

Guests aren't supposed to use their cars to drive around the Fort.

TCD

18 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I don't think that's very considerate of the guests staying on the 100 loop. 

Guests aren't supposed to use their cars to drive around the Fort.

TCD

It is still a safer option than dropping someone off at the intersection and it gets them closer to the settlement. Like I said, "If you have to".

34 minutes ago, Specularius said:

It is still a safer option than dropping someone off at the intersection and it gets them closer to the settlement. Like I said, "If you have to".

I agree with you, but it's bad form to use a car/truck for internal transportation in the campground. I don't think there's any situation where anyone would "have to" drop guests off in the 100 loop. Sure, there are a lot of situations where it would be very convenient, but I can't think of any where it's necessary. 

TCD

I have seen people stop at the 4 way stop to unload it turns it into a real mess. I agree that using the 100 loop would be very inconsiderate to those staying in the loop. If it was a quick open the door everyone has everything and nothing to unload, jump out and drive off on a rare occasion ok. But what I've seen happen is pull up, put the vehicle in park, driver gets out, unloads strollers, bags , family, oops forgot something in the back, need to check bags to make sure they have everything. Unfold strollers pack thing in them. More or less a 3 ring circus in the middle of the road. If that was taking place blocking the 100 loop from people who might be trying to get back to their site or leave to go somewhere that would be inconsiderate same as it happening anywhere blocking traffic.

3 hours ago, PGHFiend said:

I had the site across from the 100 loop foot path last spring break. The only thing that could made it worse would be people stopping to let people off all day.  

I don't think most would even think of that access in the first place though.  

Although it could make for some interesting people watching.