20 minutes ago, Campingdad said:

Well folks, yay nay or meh.

My unit has 28,000 btu's worth of AC, so keeping the unit cool isn't an issue. But is it to hot to be fun?

August can be pretty hot and humid and rainy. When we have gone during the summer we hit the parks in the evening and/or morning and hung out around the Fort in the heat of the day. 

If it came down to going in August or not at all I'd go in August. Just be prepared to sweat. Lots of water and sunscreen.

If you like hot and humid, you'll have a good trip.  If hot and humid makes you sick, you'll probably want to try for a different time of the year.  If this is the only shot you've got...it's hard to pass up Disney, so I would say go...but drink tons of water and plan for down time to rest.

12 hours ago, Campingdad said:

My unit has 28,000 btu's worth of AC, so keeping the unit cool isn't an issue. But is it to hot to be fun?

Plan for lots of water/gatorade, then double or triple the amount.

Take lots of lightweight t-shirts and double or triple what you think you will need. You can soak thru a shirt at 08:00 just walking from your site to the bus stop. 

Watch out for heavy weight screen printed shirts.  They look great, but they are 2 to 3 times hotter than an un-decorated T. 

Look for wicking shirts.  

No denim!  Wear loose lightweight cotton or synthetic shorts.

Cooling towels or cooling hats.

Sunscreen, and after sun lotion.

Re-fillable bottles for water at the parks.

Years ago we went last week in August (stayed in Pop Century not the Fort) and the heat and humidity was offset by the fact that it wasn't very crowded. That may not be the case anymore.  Also hopefully they still have the policy of you can ask for free cups of ice water at any refreshment place. We did that a good bit. 

13 minutes ago, Seals said:

Years ago we went last week in August (stayed in Pop Century not the Fort) and the heat and humidity was offset by the fact that it wasn't very crowded. That may not be the case anymore.  Also hopefully they still have the policy of you can ask for free cups of ice water at any refreshment place. We did that a good bit. 

That is true, but now you have to stand in a line for a 1/2 hour to get to the window!

Well maybe a 1/4 hour...

17 hours ago, Campingdad said:

I don't know how close Snowhill is to D.C. but the weather in D.C. in July an August is very like here in Florida.  Hot, humid and chance of rain.

4 hours ago, Travisma said:

That is true, but now you have to stand in a line for a 1/2 hour to get to the window!

Well maybe a 1/4 hour...

Pro tip- the in-park Starbucks put out ice water dispensers and cups on hot days. Self service, and no waits. A few quick serve places do the same- like Casey's in the MK.

TCD

We are in Maryland and I don't think Florida is any worse than Maryland.  We have been to The Fort many, many times in August.  In fact we were there last year with our 3 grandkids, the oldest is 6 and the youngest is 3.  Here's my tip, enjoy The Fort during the day, swim, etc.  We usually hit the parks about 4 and close them down.  That has always worked for us.  Just relax and enjoy yourselfs.

When our kids were young we went in August every year.  The heat and humidity were no worse in FL than they were here in NC.  We'd hit the parks early in the mornings, spend the afternoons at the Fort, and go back to the parks after dinner.  Always had a great time.

I went last year in the last two weeks of August.  Florida Kids go back to school so it is less crowded with the exception of the pool at the Fort.  Everybody staying at the Fort is in the pool in the after noon.  I hope you like people because it can get a little tight.  While the water is wet, it is not cooling.  I would also suggest that you bring a hat for everyone in your party and wear a cheap T shirt at the pool so you and yours don't look like that guy who glows in the dark when the sun goes down.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2018 at 1:04 PM, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

I don't know how close Snowhill is to D.C. but the weather in D.C. in July an August is very like here in Florida.  Hot, humid and chance of rain.

Gretchen, Im between Salisbury and OC Maryland. we have our days here to, just a little slower paced on this side of the ditch. lol 

Thank you all for your input. I am currently at the stage in life with my 9 year old where the magic with Disney and Father Christmas are starting to falter. Not because we want them to or he's found out. But simply because he is at that age. My two boys are my world and i want to make sure they had a great childhood. They are shaping up as great little men. Just want the KID in them to last forever.   

So I am trying for another magic trip to see the mouse and TINK.

22 minutes ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

I miss Salisbury and OC. This sweatshirt still hangs in my closet after 25 years.
9ea57b3ddd10aa1678b45fd28620758f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You'd Barely recognize the University. Its amazing home much they've expanded and what they have to offer now days. You would be very proud of what your Alma Mater has grown into. If you get the chance you have to take a peak at it!!!!

Th school is 15-20 minutes from my door depending on traffic(geese, deer, turkey taking their time crossing the roads).

You will still have a great time in Disney in August.  For many years that was the only time we were able to go.  Our youngest was a year round swimmer and only had one week off a year and that was in August.  So, that is when we went.  Now we have grandchildren and go in August because of school schedules.  You do what you do for your kids and grandkids.  Have fun!!!