Registered Nurse First-Aid Centers Being Tested At Walt Disney World Resort Hotels

If this was posted previously, admins please delete...

Registered Nurse First-Aid Centers Being Tested At Walt Disney World Resort Hotels

Disney is branching out to include more medical services for guests around their resorts.

Even though it is a huge vacation destination and one where many people go to forget the outside world, real things still do happen and problems arise in Walt Disney World. At each of the four theme parks, there are first-aid stations which have registered nurses helping guests with some medication and minor medical issues. Now, a new test will be taking place where registered nurses are running first-aid locations at the resort hotels as well.

While Orlando is a bustling city with plenty of hospitals, pharmacies, and urgent treatment centers, guests don’t always have ways of getting to them. When at Walt Disney World, many guests don’t bring their own vehicle and may find it difficult to get a cab and head somewhere if they need some medical attention.

If not in the Magic Kingdom or Epcot or one of the other parks, guests had no on-property location to receive some help if needed. Now, Disney is going to be changing that and they are doing it with a test that will place these first-aid stations in their resorts.

WDW Magic is reporting that a new pilot test is set to begin for a few resorts that will allow for guests to visit a registered nurse on the property, but out of the parks.

Beginning sometime next week, Disney’s All-Star Music Resort will have a first-aid station run by a registered nurse daily from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. The station is going to be located in the lobby of the hotel and will allow guests to visit for basic services and medical assistance.

Most first-aid stations do not perform any kind of services for major medical problems, but they will be able to administer over-the-counter medicine, bandages, and offer simple help. The registered nurse will also be able to assist in finding further medical attention in more serious situations.

This new test will run for three months and it isn’t just for guests at All-Star Music. Those staying at All-Star Movies and Sports can easily get to the location, but guests from any resort would have the ability to use the services if needed. Walt Disney World is always looking at ways of making things a bit more helpful and convenient for guests, and having a first-aid station in a resort hotel and run by a registered nurse will surely do that.

I bet if they had an urgent care on property it would always be slammed. As a parent of a kid who always got ear infections in like every vacation until we got tubes, I’d love to see on site urgent care and pharmacy. 

Maybe if people had easier access to medical care while on property they’d be less likely to walk around the parks contaminating everyone? 

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

The WDWMAGIC site gets things right most of the time, but I'm wondering if they have all the details. There's no mention about a charge for seeing the nurse, but this being Disney, I really wonder if guests will have to pay to see the nurse. 

TCD

I would bet on it.

I'm guessing it will be very similar to the in park First Aid Centers.

Rick had a diabetic issue in the MK one time several years ago, and we went to the MK first aid center. We got some orange juice into him, and they did hook him up to some monitors, checked his blood sugar and let us rest there until he stabilized. If I remember correctly, they did take some insurance information, but did not charge us for anything. The offered to help us get to the next level of medical attention, but we refused. His sugar level did get back to normal after a bit, and we went back to the hotel.

I've dropped in for the occasional band aid or OTC sinus/headache medicine. They just took some basic name/phone number information and gave me what I asked for.

On 1/23/2018 at 9:33 AM, Beckers said:

I bet if they had an urgent care on property it would always be slammed. As a parent of a kid who always got ear infections in like every vacation until we got tubes, I’d love to see on site urgent care and pharmacy. 

Maybe if people had easier access to medical care while on property they’d be less likely to walk around the parks contaminating everyone? 

Hope we never need it but were is the closest urgent care clinic to WDW?

11 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

I'm guessing it will be very similar to the in park First Aid Centers.

Rick had a diabetic issue in the MK one time several years ago, and we went to the MK first aid center. We got some orange juice into him, and they did hook him up to some monitors, checked his blood sugar and let us rest there until he stabilized. If I remember correctly, they did take some insurance information, but did not charge us for anything. The offered to help us get to the next level of medical attention, but we refused. His sugar level did get back to normal after a bit, and we went back to the hotel.

I've dropped in for the occasional band aid or OTC sinus/headache medicine. They just took some basic name/phone number information and gave me what I asked for.

When I experience heat exhaustion a few years back, I too made a stop at the first aid center in the MK.  The RN was very nice and very helpful.  I was surprised (when they brought me into the back), how much it looked like an outpatient surgical area.  They are definitely a wonderful resource. 

On 1/23/2018 at 10:33 AM, Beckers said:

Yes!

4 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

CentraCare near Crossroads. They  even offer free transportation from your resort.

https://centracare.org/florida/locations/lake-buena-vista-centra-care/

7 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

When I experience heat exhaustion a few years back, I too made a stop at the first aid center in the MK.  The RN was very nice and very helpful.  I was surprised (when they brought me into the back), how much it looked like an outpatient surgical area.  They are definitely a wonderful resource. 

It doesn't surprise me that they have ER facilities as I'm sure they get enough to warrant them while waiting for transport to a hospital . 

7 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

7 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

CentraCare near Crossroads. They  even offer free transportation from your resort.

https://centracare.org/florida/locations/lake-buena-vista-centra-care/

This is the one we have used a few times, for a cut finger(had stitches),  for an allergic reaction to a a bug bite, more stitches from a cat scratch, etc.  This is much closer to us than my family doc and if it's off hours or bleeding I head to this walk-in.  Good people working there.