We're practically empty nesters, why not buy a new 5th wheel

It's been almost 10 years since I dipped my toe in the rv pool. This time I went big and hope an I don't live to regret it.  I've heard / read that a 5th wheel is easier to pull than my old bunkhouse TT.  Well, I now have 42 feet of possible proof of concept.  Based on internet postings, I've either bought the best,  worst, or somewhere in between brand.  Forest river seems to have more fans than critics, but I believe it's subjective.  

It's shakedown cruise will be a Fort trip in less than two months (thanks Jason).

http://www.palominorv.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=369&Image=15361&ModelID=2599#Main      palomino compass 377mbc 2018 

Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Nice looking trailer. I like that floorplan and is the one we'd get if we ever go with a 5th wheel. 

Did you get the residential fridge? I'd be interested in now how you like while traveling. They seem to be the new thing in trailers, but I guess I'm old school and don't want to give up my gas/electric fridge.

1 hour ago, LONE-STAR said:

Looks nice.

Thanks....now I just have to keep it that way

51 minutes ago, bhall said:

Love the floor plan.  I hope you have adequate truck to handle it though.  I wouldn't attempt that one with my SRW 3500.

I read all the spec material and conferred with Ford site and am well under guidelines.  That doesn't mean the pilot is capable...

32 minutes ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Nice looking trailer. I like that floorplan and is the one we'd get if we ever go with a 5th wheel. 

Did you get the residential fridge? I'd be interested in now how you like while traveling. They seem to be the new thing in trailers, but I guess I'm old school and don't want to give up my gas/electric fridge.

The floor plan sold it for us.  We did get the big fridge. I was surprised that you can run it under way. It has a monster inverter buried in the storage co,mpartment.  Im excited about that as it was one of our reservations too.

26 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

Congratulations!  Nice floorplan.  INC and I have talked about a fiver someday when it's just us and Anna.  A bedroom for Anna would be nice.   Share some pics when you can.  

Similar thoughts molded our decision. At this point we don't see the entire family getting together, but will be nice when one of the kids wants to visit.  I really need to figurd out this picture thing. Your TRs are awesome.

Congrats that is a very nice unit, it is a Forest River product so I suggest you join FROG (Forest River Owner Group ) an also the owners forum, there is plenty of good advice on that board plus a few familiar people. Also look into the FROG International rally in August, we have room for almost 800 rigs at that rally but last year sold out in 21 hours so you have to be quick. Good luck in the beautiful new rig 

2 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Very similar to our rig (Cougar 359MBI).  Let us know, how that first trip goes!  Enjoy!!

Very similar. Our first unit was a Cougar and we loved it.

2 hours ago, dblr....Rennie said:

Congrats that is a very nice unit, it is a Forest River product so I suggest you join FROG (Forest River Owner Group ) an also the owners forum, there is plenty of good advice on that board plus a few familiar people. Also look into the FROG International rally in August, we have room for almost 800 rigs at that rally but last year sold out in 21 hours so you have to be quick. Good luck in the beautiful new rig 

Wow, great information Rennie.  Thanks for the heads up and I will be joining shortly.

2 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

I love the floor plan.  

Extra bedroom!

Can you say man cave?

i noticed it has a loft above the man cave. 

Is it safe to assume it is a sleeping loft?

Yes sir. Just ordered an LED tv for the man cave.  You are also correct about the loft. There are a couple of windows, shelves, a/c vents, lights and plugs for cell phone charging.

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Congratulations, Fred!  You will be camping in style!  What a beautiful unit. With those theater seats and the entertainment center, you may never see what's going on outside. 

TCD

Lol. You know me too well Andrew. The inside will see a lot of use during the evenings and bad weather. Otherwise, I would never give up my outdoor time at the Fort.  Funny thing is, I'm almost more excited about it as a dog guy.  I always worried about my pups being in a hot box if the a/c gave out.  I specifically looked for a unit that has two a/c units.  In the past, I always  used an old iPhone pointed at a thermometer in the rv. I would check in occasionally on it.  Probably will still do that in case the electricity goes out.....ugh it never ends.

6 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Beautiful unit!  Wishing you lots of happy camping in it.

Thanks No. I really hope so.

Congratulations. I like the floor plan. I think you are going to have good time with it.

As far as good or bad I think most of the manufacturers have similar quality issues. Some are built perfectly, others have many problems and a lot are somewhere in the middle. For the ones that are built to perfection you aren't likely to hear from the owners. Instead it is the people that experience problems who will usually be the one posting on the internet. Even then it frequently has to do with the actual RV problem and more to do with how they are treated by their dealer and the manufacturer.  This is why I tend to look more at how owners problems were resolved rather than what was broken when trying to compare just about anything I purchase.

23 minutes ago, keith_h said:

Congratulations. I like the floor plan. I think you are going to have good time with it.

As far as good or bad I think most of the manufacturers have similar quality issues. Some are built perfectly, others have many problems and a lot are somewhere in the middle. For the ones that are built to perfection you aren't likely to hear from the owners. Instead it is the people that experience problems who will usually be the one posting on the internet. Even then it frequently has to do with the actual RV problem and more to do with how they are treated by their dealer and the manufacturer.  This is why I tend to look more at how owners problems were resolved rather than what was broken when trying to compare just about anything I purchase.

Well put and balanced. I can't say it better. To your point, I dedicated a fair amount of time to "dealer" research.  I grouped them into several tiers based on feedback channels. Sadly, a local camping world was the only dealer in the lower tier. I say sadly because they have an enormous inventory with almost limitless choices. But I heard, read and saw the word "regret" to many times.

10 minutes ago, caveat lector said:

Well put and balanced. I can't say it better. To your point, I dedicated a fair amount of time to "dealer" research.  I grouped them into several tiers based on feedback channels. Sadly, a local camping world was the only dealer in the lower tier. I say sadly because they have an enormous inventory with almost limitless choices. But I heard, read and saw the word "regret" to many times.

That's surprising.  Nacole has such good things to say about CW.  :lol:

4 minutes ago, PGHFiend said:

That is a sweet piece right there! The Columbus 298rlc was my first choice this round but I couldn't justify it yet.   Maybe next time.  

Will you be there spring break? We will be and its the first run in our broke down Reflection I'm working on. 

We may see you there.  I HAD to spend the cash, because I have no discernable skills, and could never do some of the impressive work like u are doing on th rebuild.

1 hour ago, DaveInTN said:

That's surprising.  Nacole has such good things to say about CW.  :lol:

Yes.. I love them so.

Not :vomit:

That being said... we did love our Jayco, because Jayco was a good company and allowed a local dealer (whom we trusted) to do the warranty work.  Maybe you'll get lucky, in that respect.  Also, the rally that Rennie has mentioned always sounded so nice to me.  Hopefully you won't need many repairs but, if you do, hopefully you'll get a chance to attend one.