17 hours ago, asquared....Ally said:

They are expensive to buy, need to be maintained and the pads need to be replaced yearly so no we do not carry one.  We are trained and certified in BLS (CPR) and I am also trained in ACLS though.

Yes, which is why I haven't made the purchase... yet.  

15 hours ago, Andrew Roberts said:

No I don't  however they are at the comfort stations and pools. Also there is an app called pulse point that shows where they are in some areas. also alerts if some one in your area needs help. ( did not work in the fort area)

Yes.  Thankfully, they are many places now (malls, airports, schools, theme parks, etc)... just not at campgrounds or around your house.

7 minutes ago, Campingdad said:

you also need a prescription from a doctor to purchase on if mind serves me correctly. BTW having one vs being able to use and digest what you just did are two separate things. IT IS NOT like on tv.

You may have had to have a Rx at one point, but that's changed.  They're now for sale to the public, even on Amazon.

As for training, they offer that at a few places locally here in Atlanta; we also have friends on both county police and fire departments. Suffice to say, training is available.

I'm happy to know, that you understand that real life, is not tv ;)

6 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

You may have had to have a Rx at one point, but that's changed.  They're now for sale to the public, even on Amazon.

As for training, they offer that at a few places locally here in Atlanta; we also have friends on both county police and fire departments. Suffice to say, training is available.

I'm happy to know, that you understand that real life, is not tv ;)

I'm not trying to come off rude. I've written and deleted a ton of information in this post, not because I do not want to share the information or I do not want you to do this if you have the disposable income. But because its more than just putting the pads on and pushing a button. It sounds funny but you may have to shave someones chest to get the pads on properly. The bulk of the time it will not advise or let you deliver the shock. Most of the time you would be doing CPR until it analyzes again or help arrives. I've been involved in this since the age of 17 and I'm now 35 and have 14+ years left in my career. It can be traumatic. 

Only you know if you"ll be able to walk away and act as if nothing took place if and when you use one and possible put your hands on someones chest to manually pump their heart for them.  

1 hour ago, Campingdad said:

I'm not trying to come off rude. I've written and deleted a ton of information in this post, not because I do not want to share the information or I do not want you to do this if you have the disposable income. But because its more than just putting the pads on and pushing a button. It sounds funny but you may have to shave someones chest to get the pads on properly. The bulk of the time it will not advise or let you deliver the shock. Most of the time you would be doing CPR until it analyzes again or help arrives. I've been involved in this since the age of 17 and I'm now 35 and have 14+ years left in my career. It can be traumatic. 

Only you know if you"ll be able to walk away and act as if nothing took place if and when you use one and possible put your hands on someones chest to manually pump their heart for them.  

Thank you.  Information is always good and you don't have to worry, my skin is pretty thick and I rarely let a comment get under it.

Yes, I was aware of the shaving which is why we would carry duct tape.  It's quicker and usually removes more hair.

The machines available to the public, are designed to only shock, when the heart is in sudden cardiac arrest and not a heart attack (which you know, with your experience) are different.  CPR is important, but an AED can be a life saver.  

We don't have mass amounts of disposable income, which is why I haven't purchased one...but it is something that has weighed on my heart, for a couple of years now.

Nacole if it it something that would give you peace of mind while traveling and around the house then get one, if you can work it into your budget. I hope you never have to use it and years from now think back on it as a waste of money. Sometimes peace of mind is worth spending some money on though. 

Is it something your looking at getting before your upcoming trip?

2 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Nacole if it it something that would give you peace of mind while traveling and around the house then get one, if you can work it into your budget. I hope you never have to use it and years from now think back on it as a waste of money. Sometimes peace of mind is worth spending some money on though. 

Is it something your looking at getting before your upcoming trip?

No, I don't imagine I would get it before we go as I'd need/want to sign up for a training class and our schedule is pretty tight these next two months.

My family has a horrible cardiac history.  Mom has troubles, grandmother had troubles, great grandfather had troubles, so I think that may be why I'm so hypersensitive to the stories I hear about healthy people (or maybe healthy before this) having a sudden cardiac arrest.  I've had my heart looked at a few times over the years and have had the kids looked at;  all reports have been good.  Tom has had minimal checks; he hits the beautiful 50 this year, so I may "treat" him to a series of tests for his birthday ☺

But I hear these stories, just saw one on a 15 year old girl...ugh.  And then to know, that having one of these machines could possibly be the difference between life and death.  I don't know...like I said, it's just weighed on my heart for awhile.  So, we'll see.  Praise God, the young girl was playing volleyball at a gym that was equipped with a defibrillator and she is okay.

Please Jesus, please don't ever let me need one.    This is my prayer.

A better thing to carry would be nitro glycerin tablets as they dilate the blood vessels so some blood would flow. Most heart stoppages are the result of blockage, and you won't be able to tell the difference, so even if you could get the heart started back up it would be of little use if the blood can't move. Nitro is also a lot less expensive. I say this with having had a heart attack at 42 with no signs of coronary artery disease. Other than the standard pill regimen the cardiologist told me to find a new job. Instead I waited about 10 years and I found Himalayan sing bowls as a form of meditation to help me relax. 

3 hours ago, DavinD said:

If my heart goes at Disney World, let me die.  I can't think of a better place for it to happen.  ;)

:lol:

2 hours ago, keith_h said:

A better thing to carry would be nitro glycerin tablets as they dilate the blood vessels so some blood would flow. Most heart stoppages are the result of blockage, and you won't be able to tell the difference, so even if you could get the heart started back up it would be of little use if the blood can't move. Nitro is also a lot less expensive. I say this with having had a heart attack at 42 with no signs of coronary artery disease. Other than the standard pill regimen the cardiologist told me to find a new job. Instead I waited about 10 years and I found Himalayan sing bowls as a form of meditation to help me relax. 

Yes, a heart attack is a blockage and a defibrillator would not help in that situation.  Cardiac arrest is a sudden stop of the heart and in that situation (as I understand the medicine) an AED is the best chance.  Good to know about nitro tablets...I had not heard that before.  I had been told, that they were something you could take if you thought you were having a heart attack because if it's angina and not a heart attack, then the nitro tablets will make you feel much better but they are not dangerous to take, either way.  I didn't realize that they might actually be beneficial if you are in fact, having a heart attack. 

Heart attack at 42 with no cardiac history?  That's rough...

I am thankful the current aed's wont allow a shock to be administered if it isn't necessary.  I am equally thankful nitroglycerin tablets aren't available in Wally World next to the vitamins.

You may, however, consider carrying some low dose aspirin in your camper, which can be administered if you suspect a heart attack and is much safer than nitroglycerin tablets.

By the way, nitro, as is true with many meds, does expire, especially after having been opened.  If you aren't going to replace your stock, don't bother having it.  Expired nitro is worthless.  Again, thankfully it is not available without prescription.

1 hour ago, ftwildernessguy said:

I am thankful the current aed's wont allow a shock to be administered if it isn't necessary.   

I agree and I think that's why they are now available to the public.... because the technology is there to administer, only when needed.  

14 hours ago, ftwildernessguy said:

By the way, nitro, as is true with many meds, does expire, especially after having been opened.  If you aren't going to replace your stock, don't bother having it.  Expired nitro is worthless.  Again, thankfully it is not available without prescription.

I meant to have that in my update but somehow deleted it. For peace of mind I kept active prescriptions for several years after the event and would discard unopened after 6 months. I think the longest expiration date I saw was 12 months.