It's time to replace the tires on our TT. We've got the stock Goodyear Marathon tires our trailer had when we purchased it new in 2011, and they have given us very good service. I'm inclined to go this route again but I've seen people mention them in the same breath as awful chinese made tires. I haven't checked to see where ours were manufactured, but we have put a lot of miles on them in the time we've had them and never had a problem. I'd estimate we're right around 15k miles on them. I gotta get this done before our next trip to the fort next month! :)

These are load range C tires and our trailer is double axl and dry weight/gvwr is 3600/4400lbs. ST185/80/13

Anybody have any good recommendations to make?

Good year does have a new trailer tire made in the USA and are getting decent reviews, but I don't remember what they are called, check a rv forum as there are always plenty of tire discussion on them.

I haven't had to get new tires yet. Maxxis seem to get good reviews. I think a big thing to look at regardless of brand is the manufacture date. It isn't uncommon for a tire to be a year or two old by the time it is sold and with RV tires usually aging out before wearing out you are losing money.

1 hour ago, dblr....Rennie said:

Good year does have a new trailer tire made in the USA and are getting decent reviews, but I don't remember what they are called, check a rv forum as there are always plenty of tire discussion on them.

Endurance

Using Carlisle on my camper and using Maxxis on a couple of trailers at work. The Maxxis have handled being overloaded and running 75-80mph so far with no issues. I’ve only had the Carlisle’s up to 70 for a very brief stint. With that being said the biggest enemies of the Chinese tires are overloading and excessive speed. I have blow max tires on my recently purchased 20’ 10k gvw open car trailer and I really need to replace them as they are the weakest link of the setup. Their weight load is only rated at 1800lbs a tire for a total of 7200lbs. Very stupid when everything else is rated at 10k. I’ve also kept the speed under 65 with the trailer too as their speed rating is 65mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Endurance

Prior to our last trip to the Fort (December), I swapped my China Made Westlakes for the Goodyear Endurance (USA Made). I could not believe the difference, the sidewall stability provided by the GoodYear was very noticeable!. I wished I would have swapped sooner.

On February 9, 2018 at 8:21 AM, geoffdaddy said:

It's time to replace the tires on our TT. We've got the stock Goodyear Marathon tires our trailer had when we purchased it new in 2011, and they have given us very good service. I'm inclined to go this route again but I've seen people mention them in the same breath as awful chinese made tires. I haven't checked to see where ours were manufactured, but we have put a lot of miles on them in the time we've had them and never had a problem. I'd estimate we're right around 15k miles on them. I gotta get this done before our next trip to the fort next month! :)

These are load range C tires and our trailer is double axl and dry weight/gvwr is 3600/4400lbs. ST185/80/13

Anybody have any good recommendations to make?

I am running Goodyear Marathons now and am happy with them.  That being said, I believe Goodyear stopped manufacturing them when they began production of the Endurance line.

RV owners are a funny lot.  A number of years ago, Carlisles were considered some of the worst tires you could buy for your RV.  Now, I have heard many people speak highly of them.  Maxxis tires were considered the standard a few years ago, now not so much.    I have run Marathons, Powermax, TowMax and whatever else the dealership or manufacturer has put on a trailer without incident.  Keep speeds down, don't overload, maintain recommended pressures, use a tire pressure monitoring system and you can't go wrong.

54 minutes ago, ftwildernessguy said:

I am running Goodyear Marathons now and am happy with them.  That being said, I believe Goodyear stopped manufacturing them when they began production of the Endurance line.

RV owners are a funny lot.  A number of years ago, Carlisles were considered some of the worst tires you could buy for your RV.  Now, I have heard many people speak highly of them.  Maxxis tires were considered the standard a few years ago, now not so much.    I have run Marathons, Powermax, TowMax and whatever else the dealership or manufacturer has put on a trailer without incident.  Keep speeds down, don't overload, maintain recommended pressures, use a tire pressure monitoring system and you can't go wrong.

Dolly recommends proper inflation for best results.  I'm not sure what Larry recommends.  

6 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

Dolly recommends proper inflation for best results.  I'm not sure what Larry recommends.  

Larry disagrees with everything I said.  Then he repeated it only with more words.

Thanks for the replies. I am religious about airing up the tires before each trip. In fact, one time the schrader valve wouldn't close after I checked the air and I ended up replacing the valve before we left! Glad I caught that!

The Carlisles are literally everywhere I've checked. From my days of owning sports cars I am on the one hand a bit wary of getting anything that's just super cheap just because, and on the flipside I'd rather not get anything so exotic but is soo amazing but I can't find a replacement/warranty if I have a breakdown on a trip.

Those Endurance tires are spendy.

Not a bad idea to check those manufacture dates.  Personally, I never buy a tire that wasn't made in the same year I put it in service.  My Marathons were made in February and installed in April the same year.

I have the new Carlisle Radial Trail tires and they’ve been excellent. Wouldn’t hesitate to buy them again. That said, those Goodyear Endurance tires look good. They are available in a higher weight rating than anybody else for a given tire size (at least for 14” tires).

Well I blew a factory original tire this past weekend during a thunderstorm on I-10 just getting into Houston...that was loads of fun, lol.  Now I get to buy tires and a new fender.

I made it to Fredericksburg with the spare where I went to buy four new Carlisles but after about 30 minutes they let me know they only had two.  So I got to drive back home with two new and two old tires.

I knew those tires were going bad, it's my fault for trying to get one more trip out of them, I won't make that mistake again.  On another note, that was our first time to Fredericksburg, TX and we had a blast, it was cold but still great!

WBI

9 minutes ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

Well I blew a factory original tire this past weekend during a thunderstorm on I-10 just getting into Houston...that was loads of fun, lol.  Now I get to buy tires and a new fender.

I made it to Fredericksburg with the spare where I went to buy four new Carlisles but after about 30 minutes they let me know they only had two.  So I got to drive back home with two new and two old tires.

I knew those tires were going bad, it's my fault for trying to get one more trip out of them, I won't make that mistake again.  On another note, that was our first time to Fredericksburg, TX and we had a blast, it was cold but still great!

WBI

Sorry about your tire troubles.  But glad you had a good trip to Fredericksburg.  I'll meet you back there in 2024 for the eclipse.  

2 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

Sorry about your tire troubles.  But glad you had a good trip to Fredericksburg.  I'll meet you back there in 2024 for the eclipse.  

Sounds like a plan!  We really had a good time, German food, beer, wineries, bbq, hiking, we did it all!  We hiked to the top of Enchanted Rocks, I bet that place will be slammed for the Eclipse.  Actually they've been closing before noon ever weekend lately to try and keep crowds down so I know it will be packed then.

WBI

I wish they would make a nail resistant tire.  Just bought 4 new tires for my truck back in October and one got pierced by a nail a few days ago.  It's patched, but that is now my new spare and just bought a new one to put on the truck. :aggressive:

1 hour ago, bhall said:

I wish they would make a nail resistant tire.  Just bought 4 new tires for my truck back in October and one got pierced by a nail a few days ago.  It's patched, but that is now my new spare and just bought a new one to put on the truck. :aggressive:

They should build cars with powerful magnets along the front edge to pick up nails before the tires drive over them.