6 hours ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

Well I blew a factory original tire this past weekend during a thunderstorm on I-10 just getting into Houston...that was loads of fun, lol.  Now I get to buy tires and a new fender.

I made it to Fredericksburg with the spare where I went to buy four new Carlisles but after about 30 minutes they let me know they only had two.  So I got to drive back home with two new and two old tires.

I knew those tires were going bad, it's my fault for trying to get one more trip out of them, I won't make that mistake again.  On another note, that was our first time to Fredericksburg, TX and we had a blast, it was cold but still great!

WBI

Did yall stay at the Yogi Bear there? We almost went there last summer but went to New Braunfels instead.

15 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

Did yall stay at the Yogi Bear there? We almost went there last summer but went to New Braunfels instead.

No we stayed at Oakwood RV Resort.  It was ok, it had quite a few people wintering there which I think would be great, the location was convenient to town.  Honestly it was so cold this trip all we did was sleep there.  We looked at the Yogi Bear park, and even drove by it while there, it looks pretty good with a new water area, but it was further from town than we wanted to be this trip.

14 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

We like Lady Bird Johnson Municipal Park.

We thought about going to that one too, it looked real nice.  Was there any issues with non-campers coming around since its an open park?

WBI

15 minutes ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

We thought about going to that one too, it looked real nice.  Was there any issues with non-campers coming around since its an open park?

WBI

It's been a few years, but not that I recall.

On 2/16/2018 at 5:50 PM, PGHFiend said:

Just an FYI, I just ordered 4 Goodyear Endurance from Discount tire direct.  they are having a pretty big promotion on them, AND a 100 rebate visa card.  I got 4 235/80/16 Endurance, shipped free for $500.64 with the rebate, $400.64.  Amazing price....must be bought this weekend, 2/19/18.

please let us know what you think of them.  I like the Carlisle Radial Trails, but am leaning towards the Endurance tires the next time I need them.

6 hours ago, djsamuel said:

please let us know what you think of them.  I like the Carlisle Radial Trails, but am leaning towards the Endurance tires the next time I need them.

Will do.  I had the new carlisle HD tires in my walmart cart about 5 times...they seem like a better built tire, but still made in China.   I'm giving the USA a chance here, I'd rather spend my money with American workers.  

I do have carlisle radial tires on my car trailer, and I think they are 9 years old.  They have never given me any trouble but on a car hauler they run loaded only about 50 percent of the time and when it's parked only weighs about a ton.  I think the weight of an rv constantly sitting on the tires is what ultimately kills them.  Most if these tires are within 90 percent of thier loaded capacity ALL of the time...like Dangerfield, "they get no respect"! 

Just an update on our sitch... I bought the Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires from Sams Club. Given the availability (except for Sams themselves it seems) and recommendations all over the place, it seems like this is a well respected tire. It is chinese made, but appears to be at least a well molded tire, even to the point of getting fancy and stamping CARLISLE into the tread pattern like some fancier sports car tires. They are about 4 months old per the DOT label, so that's not too bad.

Our local Sams Club didn't have them in stock, but were able to get them in a couple of days. Why are the tires I want never in stock?? :)

2 hours ago, geoffdaddy said:

Just an update on our sitch... I bought the Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires from Sams Club. Given the availability (except for Sams themselves it seems) and recommendations all over the place, it seems like this is a well respected tire. It is chinese made, but appears to be at least a well molded tire, even to the point of getting fancy and stamping CARLISLE into the tread pattern like some fancier sports car tires. They are about 4 months old per the DOT label, so that's not too bad.

Our local Sams Club didn't have them in stock, but were able to get them in a couple of days. Why are the tires I want never in stock?? :)

I think you'll be happy with them.  Mine have been really good so far (over 2 years).

4 hours ago, geoffdaddy said:

I hear ya on the instock issue, I just finished getting my from Wal-Mart, it was a night mare and I won't do it again.  But they were only $67 each through Walmart and over $100 each at Sam's, no clue why. 

When I had my blow out, the Walmart we were heading towards had 2 in stock and put them on, balanced them and installed new partial metal valve stems.  I figured when I got home I'd go get two more, but not so fast, evidently no Walmart within 200 miles of here keeps them instock, I was told to order them online and pickup in store.  They had a 7 day delivery, then on the 7th day at 6pm I get a text that one is ready for pickup.  ONLY one, even though they both had the same tracking number and were shipped together.  I assumed they only scanned one, no big deal.  I head up to Walmart the next day, auto guy sends me to the pickup area on the opposite side of the store, I tell him I don't think that's right but do it.  The pickup area tells me that kid doesn't know what he's talking about and sends me back.  I tell tire dept lady what's up and she gets everyone looking for my tires, 20 minutes later they give up and say they aren't there.

There was a lot of talking I'm skipping over but it's not important.  I go back to work and chat Walmart, that doesn't help so they call me, that lady was so infuriating I hang up on her. She kept telling me to go to the store over and over again and that the other tire wasn't there yet.

The next day I'm pretty mad, but go back to the store, talk to the same lady in the pick-up area, she feels my pain and was super nice, she informs me she worked in the tire dept for 9 years, so she walks me back there, gets the manager and they look for the tires together (with every other worker) and guess what they were both there all along.  

I thank them and ask to have them installed, no problem at all.  I pick them up, get home and realize they aren't balanced and might even have the same valve stems.  

Sorry for the long story but I dislike my Wal-Mart!

WBI

I hear ya on the instock issue, I just finished getting my from Wal-Mart, it was a night mare and I won't do it again.  But they were only $67 each through Walmart and over $100 each at Sam's, no clue why. 
When I had my blow out, the Walmart we were heading towards had 2 in stock and put them on, balanced them and installed new partial metal valve stems.  I figured when I got home I'd go get two more, but not so fast, evidently no Walmart within 200 miles of here keeps them instock, I was told to order them online and pickup in store.  They had a 7 day delivery, then on the 7th day at 6pm I get a text that one is ready for pickup.  ONLY one, even though they both had the same tracking number and were shipped together.  I assumed they only scanned one, no big deal.  I head up to Walmart the next day, auto guy sends me to the pickup area on the opposite side of the store, I tell him I don't think that's right but do it.  The pickup area tells me that kid doesn't know what he's talking about and sends me back.  I tell tire dept lady what's up and she gets everyone looking for my tires, 20 minutes later they give up and say they aren't there.
There was a lot of talking I'm skipping over but it's not important.  I go back to work and chat Walmart, that doesn't help so they call me, that lady was so infuriating I hang up on her. She kept telling me to go to the store over and over again and that the other tire wasn't there yet.
The next day I'm pretty mad, but go back to the store, talk to the same lady in the pick-up area, she feels my pain and was super nice, she informs me she worked in the tire dept for 9 years, so she walks me back there, gets the manager and they look for the tires together (with every other worker) and guess what they were both there all along.  
I thank them and ask to have them installed, no problem at all.  I pick them up, get home and realize they aren't balanced and might even have the same valve stems.  
Sorry for the long story but I dislike my Wal-Mart!
WBI

I've yet to test drive mine yet. I pulled all four of and just took the loose wheels to Sam's. I pulled all the bearings and inspected them and put new seals in so it was convenient to do while they were out. While I had the drums off I discovered that all four brakes were contaminated with grease, I'm sure from using the ez lube system for the past 7 years. I guess I understand other people's reservations with ez -lube now! At least the bearings were good.

What I cant understand is the pricing of trailer brakes. The best price I could find on brake shoes was $25 per wheel. The local shops were twice as much as online. But, talking to a local shop they said they always replace the whole assembly. Seems super wasteful to me, but what do you know, I found a deal from a place in Florida on Amazon that sells the whole backing plate, springs, adjusters, shoes, magnets, as a bolt on assembly for $110! Nutty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, geoffdaddy said:

Update: We just returned from our 1400 mile round trip to the Fort with the new tires and I'm happy to report that the Carlisles performed admirably. Trailer rode nice and no issues.

Thanks for the update!  I've only put about 50 miles on mine so far, they get a good test in 9 more days.

WBI

• 2 weeks later...

Happy to report a 2000 mile round trip to the FORT was no problem for the new GoodYear Endurance tires.  No loss of air pressure, ran really cool with the laser temp gun and tracked well.  Best part is the 87 MPH speed rating allows you to cruise at 70 or better and creep a little quicker on downhill coasting without getting nervous.  I also checked the tread depth when I was cleaning up after getting home and they all still had exactly 8/32" of tread on all grooves, just like when I left.  So far I'd recommend. 

1 hour ago, PGHFiend said:

Happy to report a 2000 mile round trip to the FORT was no problem for the new GoodYear Endurance tires.  No loss of air pressure, ran really cool with the laser temp gun and tracked well.  Best part is the 87 MPH speed rating allows you to cruise at 70 or better and creep a little quicker on downhill coasting without getting nervous.  I also checked the tread depth when I was cleaning up after getting home and they all still had exactly 8/32" of tread on all grooves, just like when I left.  So far I'd recommend. 

How did the new camper work out for you?

4 hours ago, djsamuel said:

How did the new camper work out for you?

Thank you for asking.   It was amazing to have a near new rig as we've always had something at least 10 years old.  2 couches, huuuge shower, and the outdoor kitchen made the trip so much more enjoyable as well as the power awning for breaking down camp.  I did have an issue with my new roof sliding back, I guess my glue didn't bond well, but I'll take care of it.  Otherwise, a plumbing leak I found that looks to be leaking since it was new was all i had to repair at the Fort. 

• 2 weeks later...