https://www.orlandoweekly.com

Disney pledges $1 million to STEM programs from 'Black Panther' profits

With the immense success of Disney's new blockbuster Black Panther, the company has pledged to donate $1 million of proceeds to help develop STEM programs at Boys & Girls Clubs of America, including one in Orlando. 

The money will be used to expand on existing STEM programs, as well as creating a dozen new centers around the U.S., including Atlanta, New Orleans and Washington DC, and Orlando.  Some of the activities in these programs include 3D printing, robotics and HD video production. 

"It is thrilling to see how inspired young audiences were by the spectacular technology in the film, so it’s fitting that we show our appreciation by helping advance STEM programs for youth, especially in underserved areas of the country, to give them the knowledge and tools to build the future they want," said Robert A. Iger, Chairman and CEO of Disney.

The movie is action packed and features sci-fi levels of imaginary technology, said to have captivated younger audiences and inspire pursuits in the STEM fields.  

Disney has yet to release all the details on Orlando's new STEM center of innovation. 

At first look the $1 million donation may seem sizable, but by Disney standards is chump change considering Black Panther has already made $700 million, with $202 of that being in the first week.

2 hours ago, Travisma said:

https://www.orlandoweekly.com

Disney pledges $1 million to STEM programs from 'Black Panther' profits

At first look the $1 million donation may seem sizable, but by Disney standards is chump change considering Black Panther has already made $700 million, with $202 of that being in the first week.

Great story about a company giving back to the community and then the schmuck author ruins it by calling $1 million “chump change.”  He should have just left it at they are doing a good thing.

je also didn’t mention that it cost over $200 million dollars to make and that doesn’t even include marketing and advertising  and Disney has done and is doing a lot of that  

I reporters would just report the 5 Ws like I was taught in journalism school.  And quit adding their own bias.

BTW.  I didnt read were he donated any money to the boys or girls club. 

42 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Great story about a company giving back to the community and then the schmuck author ruins it by calling $1 million “chump change.”  He should have just left it at they are doing a good thing.

je also didn’t mention that it cost over $200 million dollars to make and that doesn’t even include marketing and advertising  and Disney has done and is doing a lot of that  

I reporters would just report the 5 Ws like I was taught in journalism school.  And quit adding their own bias.

BTW.  I didnt read were he donated any money to the boys or girls club. 

Years ago it was reported that Bill Gates and his wife were setting up a foundation and donating $$X amount ( I don't remember the figure) but the author likened it to an average person donating the change in their pocket.

People/companies do good deeds all the time, but people always want them to do more, while they sit back on their butts, write articles, and complain.

7 hours ago, Travisma said:

Years ago it was reported that Bill Gates and his wife were setting up a foundation and donating $$X amount ( I don't remember the figure) but the author likened it to an average person donating the change in their pocket.

People/companies do good deeds all the time, but people always want them to do more, while they sit back on their butts, write articles, and complain.

The Gates are reported to have contributed around $50B to their foundation to date. While they have been smaller amounts across the years it isn't too shabby. Bill has also said upon he and his wife's death his children will only inherit $10M each with the remainder of the estate going to charity. Warren Buffet has also contributed to the Gates foundation in the amount of $31B with similar plans for his estate to largely go to charity as well upon death.

54 minutes ago, keith_h said:

The Gates are reported to have contributed around $50B to their foundation to date. While they have been smaller amounts across the years it isn't too shabby. Bill has also said upon he and his wife's death his children will only inherit $10M each with the remainder of the estate going to charity. Warren Buffet has also contributed to the Gates foundation in the amount of $31B with similar plans for his estate to largely go to charity as well upon death.

I've set up something similar for myself, only in my case the bulk of my assets are being contributed while I'm alive to the Macallan Fund, and upon my death my children will each inherit $10.  

43 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

I've set up something similar for myself, only in my case the bulk of my assets are being contributed while I'm alive to the Macallan Fund, and upon my death my children will each inherit $10.  

Are you contributing to the macallen 55 fund?   I heard one share is over $10,000