Guinness Beef Stew and Colcannon recipes

Since it's getting towards St. Paddy's day, I figured that i would throw this up for all y'all.

Our family doesn't like corned beef, so after several attempts over the years at making it (from scratch, even) we've switched to making this Guinness beef stew recipe.

You can make it on the stovetop, or you can complete the first three steps and dump it into a slow cooker and head off to work. Either way, it's super good once it thickens up. We make the attached colcannon recipe, which is great together with the stew. Sit down with a plate of the two and put on the Quiet Man.

Beef and Guinness Stew

Ingredients

• 4 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
  • 2 1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into 2-inch pieces
  • 1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
  • freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • 2 onions, coarsely chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 (14.9 ounce) can dark beer (such as Guinness(R))
  • 1/4 cup tomato paste
  • 4 sprigs fresh thyme
  • 3 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 2 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 teaspoon white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
  • 2 1/2 cups chicken stock, or as needed to cover
  • 4 cups mashed potatoes (optional)

Directions

1. Cook and stir bacon in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat until bacon is browned and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn off heat and transfer bacon into a large stew pot, reserving bacon fat in the skillet.
  2. Season beef chuck cubes generously with 1 teaspoon salt and black pepper to taste. Turn heat to high under skillet and sear beef pieces in the hot fat on both sides until browned, about 5 minutes. Place beef in stew pot with bacon, leaving fat in skillet. Turn heat down to medium; cook and stir onions in the retained fat in the skillet until lightly browned, 5 to 8 minutes; season with a large pinch of salt.
  3. Cook garlic with onions until soft, about 1 minute; pour beer into skillet and stir with a wooden spoon, scraping up and dissolving any browned bits of food into the liquid. Pour cooking liquid from skillet into the stew pot. Stir in tomato paste, thyme sprigs, carrots, celery, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and enough chicken broth to cover.
  4. Bring stew to a gentle simmer, stirring to combine; reduce heat to low and cover pot. Simmer stew until beef is fork-tender, about 2 hours. Stir stew occasionally and skim fat or foam if desired.
  5. Remove cover and raise heat to medium-high. Bring stew to a low boil and cook until stew has slightly thickened, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove and discard thyme sprigs and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
  6. Arrange mashed potatoes in a ring in a serving bowl; ladle stew into the center of the potatoes.

Colcannon

Ingredients

• 5 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (about 1¾ pounds)
  • Kosher salt
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
  • 2 leeks, white and pale-green parts only, sliced in half lengthwise, thinly sliced crosswise
  • 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
  • 2 cups (packed) shredded savoy cabbage (from about ¼ large head), divided
  • 1¼ cups milk
  • ½ cup heavy cream
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 scallion, thinly sliced

Directions
  • Cover potatoes with water in a small pot; season with salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat and simmer until a paring knife slides easily through the flesh, 30–40 minutes. Drain, let cool slightly, and peel.

• Meanwhile, melt 4 Tbsp. butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring frequently, until very soft, 8–10 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until garlic is fragrant and leeks are just beginning to brown around the edges, about 3 minutes longer. Add 1 cup cabbage and cook, stirring constantly, until wilted. Add milk and cream and bring to a simmer.

• Add potatoes and remaining 1 cup cabbage, then coarsely mash with a potato masher. Season with salt and pepper.

• Transfer colcannon to a large serving bowl. Top with remaining 2 Tbsp. butter and sprinkle with sliced scallions.

The recipes look good.

We like corned beef. I usually load up on corned eye of round, which I prefer over brisket,  this time of year when it goes on sale. I do my corned beef in the crock pot with 6-8 smashed garlic cloves, a table spoon or more of pickling spices, 10-20 whole peppercorns, a few whole allspice berries, 1/2 tsp each of black and yellow mustard seed, 1 or 2 whole cayenne peppers, 1-2 large bay leaves. Every thing is really to taste so add or remove whatever you wish. Trim all fat and silver skin from beef. This is important so the pickling spice will flavor all of the meat.  Put all in the crock pot, pour in  two good quality lager beers and add water to cover and cook on low 10-12 hours.  To me the flavor is very close to the corned beef you can find at jewish delis in the northeast as opposed to the more traditional American version.

48 minutes ago, keith_h said:

The recipes look good.

We like corned beef. I usually load up on corned eye of round, which I prefer over brisket,  this time of year when it goes on sale. I do my corned beef in the crock pot with 6-8 smashed garlic cloves, a table spoon or more of pickling spices, 10-20 whole peppercorns, a few whole allspice berries, 1/2 tsp each of black and yellow mustard seed, 1 or 2 whole cayenne peppers, 1-2 large bay leaves. Every thing is really to taste so add or remove whatever you wish. Trim all fat and silver skin from beef. This is important so the pickling spice will flavor all of the meat.  Put all in the crock pot, pour in  two good quality lager beers and add water to cover and cook on low 10-12 hours.  To me the flavor is very close to the corned beef you can find at jewish delis in the northeast as opposed to the more traditional American version.

Hanging onto this recipe as well.  DH may not like corned beef, but I do!  :)

2 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Thanks for sharing this, Tim! 

DH is not a fan of corned beef, but is a huge fan of a good beef stew. I think he'd like the colcannon too.

The stew recipe is great. So is the colcannon, although I can't say I've ever had a real, traditional version.

If you're not a fan of the cabbage crunch in the colcannon, saute all the cabbage instead of holding half out. My kids seem to be ok with the 50/50, but some people don't like the crunch.

1 hour ago, keith_h said:

The recipes look good.

I do ours in a pressure cooker, beef first, then use the juices for the cabbage, potatoes, and carrots.

I tried a crock pot once and it was just so so, kind of tough.

Maybe I didn't cook it long enough, but we use a  brisket point cut.

Don't think I've ever seen a corned eye of round down here.

• 2 months later...

Microwave mug cake:

https://bitzngiggles.com/easy-vanilla-mug-cake/

image.png.211cee197608e02fee013f3181a58262.png

I made this tonight. It was very good.

I don't buy the Little Debbie cakes, because I will eat the whole box. And I am trying to cut down on sugar and processed food. But sometimes I would like to have cake, lol !

This was fast and easy. It could use less sugar though.

After I made the cake. I scrolled down the website and found the sugar cookie recipe. That will be what I will try next.