trailer-photo-gallery_1521130048757_81110980_ver1.0_640_480.png

https://www.abcactionnews.com/traffic/traffic-news/traffic-alert-travel-trailer-dangles-over-i-275-in-st-petersburg

Follow the link for more photos and a video

The video showed how they looped a huge strap under the rear of the TT, and that tow truck lifted it and re-positioned it onto the highway.

I would venture to say between the bash in the side from the accident and the stress on the TT frame from dangling and being lifted, they are going to have a lot of issues with their stay.

Travel trailer removed from I-275 overpass in St. Pete after crash

Initial reports indicate a family was on the way to Walt Disney World when their trailer was rear-ended by another vehicle. The camper, being pulled by a Ford Explorer got pushed over the overpass and dangled over the edge. 

A tow truck responded to remove the trailer. The trailer was removed at approximately 12:40 p.m.. 

No one was hurt in the accident.

Supposedly the SUV had a flat tire, and after it was changed they continued on their way to WDW.

I watched that live yesterday after someone posted a link on rv.net.  There was quite a discussion, as is typical on that site, about the weight of the trailer, the capabilities of an Explorer as a tow vehicle, etc.  My only thought was...imagine if that had happened around 8 miles further south on that same road, on the Sunshine Skyway??

I watched how they got the camper off the bridge.  I can't believe the police let him drive the rig away from the scene let alone all the way to WDW without having the TV and the trailer inspected.  They put a strap on the back of the trailer and picked it up off the rail and used the TV to drive forward and swing the back of the trailer back onto the roadway.  This had to over stress the TV hitch and the tongue of the trailer.  Hopefully it was not as bad as it looked.  Glad no one was hurt.  

20 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

I watched that live yesterday after someone posted a link on rv.net.  There was quite a discussion, as is typical on that site, about the weight of the trailer, the capabilities of an Explorer as a tow vehicle, etc.  My only thought was...imagine if that had happened around 8 miles further south on that same road, on the Sunshine Skyway??

As someone who occasionally has to drive over that bridge, thank you for giving me something to think about other than the collapse of the old bridge. 

TCD 

1 hour ago, DaveInTN said:

According to reports this morning, a 20 year old driving a Hyundai hit the left side of the trailer, then spun around and hit the right side of the trailer.  All of that caused the trailer to lose control.  The Hyundai driver was sited for careless driving.  Thankfully no one was injured.  

Correct, the news feed yesterday showed the Hyundai and the girl driver.

There are a couple pictures showing the side of the TT banged up.