Big EPCOT Rumor UPDATED 9/17/18

Wow, the official announcement is almost a year in advance. I am glad that they are confirming that there will be a replacement. But, I'll bet there will be a big gap between the end of Illuminations and the replacement show, and those details won't be revealed until next summer's D23 Expo. That's just the way things are done now. 

TCD

24 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

... I'll bet there will be a big gap between the end of Illuminations and the replacement show

I really hope not.  It was tough enough to get used to MK without a nighttime parade, EP without a fireworks show, even for a short amount of time... :grimace:

They are giving people plenty of time to make a return trip to relive their childhood memories, oh and to buy a lot of I was there for the final year merchandise.

There was an interesting article on how all of the theme parks are hyping up attraction closing more than new ones openings with special parties and merchandise.

7 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

I really hope not.  It was tough enough to get used to MK without a nighttime parade, EP without a fireworks show, even for a short amount of time... 

I hope not too, but it's a page in the current Disney playbook. 

World of Color at California Adventure has been down almost all year. True, they ran into some technical problems, but it's pretty clear that they will drag their feet until they notice a dip in attendance before putting the show back on the schedule. 

TCD

It’s hard to keep up with all the closings and refurbishments. 

If you go by official Disney news and rumors I’m going to have to plan more trips just to get everything in before it closes. LOL any truth to them closing down the railroad at Magic Kingdom this December?

31 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

It’s hard to keep up with all the closings and refurbishments. 

If you go by official Disney news and rumors I’m going to have to plan more trips just to get everything in before it closes. LOL any truth to them closing down the railroad at Magic Kingdom this December?

Train will be parked at the Main Street Station starting sometime in December.  The construction for new Tron Ride will be interfering with the tracks for a few months.

20 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Train will be parked at the Main Street Station starting sometime in December.  The construction for new Tron Ride will be interfering with the tracks for a few months.

That SMB!  

Why would they close it down during the busiest season of the year???

do those big wigs have any common sense?

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I hope not too, but it's a page in the current Disney playbook. 

World of Color at California Adventure has been down almost all year. True, they ran into some technical problems, but it's pretty clear that they will drag their feet until they notice a dip in attendance before putting the show back on the schedule. 

TCD

I did just read an article yesterday that talked about budget cuts coming at both DL and WDW - some behind the scenes, but a bunch that are customer-facing also. So, yeah - I could see that happening.

29 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

That SMB!  

Why would they close it down during the busiest season of the year???

Could be just a fluke of the timing or could be that they're banking on the boost from Tron being open sooner to outweigh the impact of closing the RR during December.

Or could be that someone just threw a dart at a calendar and ran with it.

6 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

I did just read an article yesterday that talked about budget cuts coming at both DL and WDW - some behind the scenes, but a bunch that are customer-facing also. So, yeah - I could see that happening.

Could be just a fluke of the timing or could be that they're banking on the boost from Tron being open sooner to outweigh the impact of closing the RR during December.

They just care about getting people to the Christmas Party so if something minor isn't working, no big deal.

3 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

It's no fluke. Everything they do is carefully calculated. They got away with shutting down the railroad at Disneyland for a year last year while they did some substantial infrastructure work for their Star Wars Land. But it did not need to be shut down for as long as it was. Shutting down an attraction for longer than necessary is a major cost savings tactic- they save on the payroll and operating expenses, and they know that guests will accept these long closures, as long as they're spread out. 

TCD

29 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

It's no fluke. Everything they do is carefully calculated. They got away with shutting down the railroad at Disneyland for a year last year while they did some substantial infrastructure work for their Star Wars Land. But it did not need to be shut down for as long as it was. Shutting down an attraction for longer than necessary is a major cost savings tactic- they save on the payroll and operating expenses, and they know that guests will accept these long closures, as long as they're spread out. 

TCD

Agree X2

As a household of musicians and dancers, we are fans of Illuminations because the display precisely coordinates with the soundtrack.  It is not a fireworks show, but choreographed theatre.  Hopefully, they will not replace it with something as lackluster as the Wishes replacement.  Now, that is a fireworks show with music and the music has no soul - other than the instrumental sections, it is like listening to pop radio.  It will be highly disappointing if they go for technology over art, instead of art using technology.