Wizard of Oz and train fanatics

Little over an hour drive from WDW

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2018/03/26/a-wizard-of-oz-train-ride-is-headed-to-central-florida-this-summer

A 'Wizard of Oz' train ride is headed to Central Florida this summer

The Orlando & Northwestern Railway, operator of the Royal Palm Railway Experience in Tavares, announced a new Wizard of Oz Train Ride on select dates throughout June. 

The two hour ride begins in Munchkinland, and includes live onboard entertainment from Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tin Man, and the Cowardly Lion, along with audio from the movie and a stage production in the Emerald City. Officially licensed from Warner Brothers, the train ride experience is an updated retelling of the classic story with authentic costumes and sets. 

A big part of the business model for The Orlando & Northwestern Railway arespecial events with the first being last year’s Polar Express train. Nearly 45,000 tickets were sold for the Christmas train experience, topping estimates of 40,000. City officials reported an increase in foot traffic in the downtown area and many local businesses reported record sales. 

In February, The Royal Palm Railway Experience hosted an adult-focused Mardi Gras train experience that they designed themselves. The Rails and Ales Brew Train, a St. Patrick’s Day themed train ride that included two beer flights, took place this past weekend. A Cinco de Mayo train ride is planned for May. 

The Wizard of Oz Train Ride, The Great Pumpkin Patch Express, and The Polar Express (all from Rail Events Inc.) have already been confirmed for this year with more special train events planned for the near future. Rail Events Inc. also offers three other Peanuts-themed train experiences that may be coming in future years to Tavares, including a Valentine and Easter themed experience. 

==============================================================================================

Ticket/location info

https://www.thefloridatrain.com/

e20abf_e3d88cc547004d68a5d4d8855385b73e~The Royal Palm Railway Experience

305 East Ruby St. Tavares Fl, 32778

THE WIZARD OF OZ™ Train Ride  June 8th through June 24th, 2018

352-742-7200

Sounds fun, I didn't know anything about this train. 

My one question will there be flying monkeys??????  Wizard of Oz was my great grandmas favorite movie and she would turn it on for me/her all the time, still to this day I still have not watched the parts with flying monkeys. They scared me to death as a kid. Haha

1 hour ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Sounds fun, I didn't know anything about this train. 

My one question will there be flying monkeys??????  Wizard of Oz was my great grandmas favorite movie and she would turn it on for me/her all the time, still to this day I still have not watched the parts with flying monkeys. They scared me to death as a kid. Haha

I hated that part also.

You know there is a smaller train ride in Parrish Fl that has specialty events. 

We went there years ago for Thomas The Train Engine and it looks like it's back for 2018

http://www.frrm.org/

Growing up in the 1960s / very early 1970s the one night a year that the Wizard of Oz was on tv was like a holiday.  We'd get in our pjs early and sit together as a family and watch.

And then I'd have nightmares about those flying monkeys.

The Great Smoky Mountain Railroad in NC does theme train rides like these also. I've heard mixed reviews.  Years ago we did the Thomas one and all I can remember is screaming kids, including my own who had a leg cast and couldn't stand up on the seat like the other kids.   And the $$$ we spent. 

On 3/27/2018 at 11:25 AM, Travisma said:

I hated that part also.

You know there is a smaller train ride in Parrish Fl that has specialty events. 

We went there years ago for Thomas The Train Engine and it looks like it's back for 2018

http://www.frrm.org/

Ya know I've never been to the one in Parrish. When I had horses we used to board out there, but never did the train.