Updated 4/24 Brand New Disney Parks Play App Coming To Walt Disney World And Disneyland This Summer

Just in case you needed to find something to do while waiting in lines, Disney has something coming for you.

Guests visiting Walt Disney World and Disneyland are going to have new ways to venture around the park and spend their time in attraction lines. A brand new Play Disney Parks app is heading to both coasts, and it will give guests brand new experiences whether they have an iOS or Android operating system. This new app is going to allow guests to “play in the parks like never before,” and it will even interact with your surrounding environment and location.

The free Play Disney Parks app will allow users to have a bit more fun. My Disney Experience keeps evolving, and it isn’t going anywhere, as guests at Walt Disney World will continue to need it for so many different reasons.

According to the Disney Parks Blog, the Play Disney Parks app is going to bring fun and entertainment to families as they venture throughout WDW and the Disneyland Resort. The more you head through the parks and use the app, the more new things you’ll discover and unlock.

Even though Disneyland does not have My Disney Experience (MDE), guests are gaining more new things on the current app, and this new one will only keep adding to their visits.

All of the details have not yet been revealed about the new Play Disney Parks app, but we do know that it will be released this summer. It’s going to bring about a more playful aspect to the time that guests spend in the parks when they aren’t necessarily experiencing an attraction at that very moment.

Most notably, this new app could really help when guests have to kill time while waiting in lines.

At Walt Disney World, the MDE app allows guests to check wait times, book FastPasses, order food, reserve dining, find character locations, and so much more. For guests staying at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge, they can already use the app and their phone as a “Digital Key” to unlock their resort room door.

In California, the Disneyland app can be used for wait times, character locations, and MaxPass, and it will soon have mobile ordering as well.

Guests do need to realize that this new download will not replace the Disneyland app or My Disney Experience in Walt Disney World. The Play Disney Parks app will be able to be used in addition to those apps and bring even more fun as you’re venturing around the Epcot, Disney California Adventure, or any of the parks. Playtime is about to be elevated, and guests will be able to download the app sometime this summer.

inquistr.com

38 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

Just what I want to do...spend over $100 a day to get in the parks to play on my phone.  I guess they figure if we are buried in our screens we won't realize we've stood in line 3 hours to ride Peter Pan.  

There is a method to their madness.

And how much you want to bet, that they will be letting you know there is a place to eat or buy merchandise right around the corner....

8 minutes ago, Travisma said:

There is a method to their madness.

And how much you want to bet, that they will be letting you know there is a place to eat or buy merchandise right around the corner....

What they need for people waiting in long lines is food and drink ordering from the app, delivered to you while you are in line.  I can imagine I'd buy a lot of beer and Mickey pretzels if it would pass the time while standing in the queues.  

After spending millions on updated queues, Disney has come to accept that most guests still would rather spend that time on their smartphones. (How sad is this statement?)  With this in mind, Disney has now announced a new line of apps that will enhance the park-going experience. 

The Play Disney Parks app will include games accessible only to guests in specific geographic locations. The in-app experience will change from attraction to attraction and will include real-world effects that are set off by in-app gameplay. Early renderings of the app show a major design influence fromMary Blair's "It's a Small World." 

Disney has spent millions on technology to provide guests with a customized park experience that includes their names and details being used in rides, at Meet-and-Greets, and throughout the parks. But the technology, which was initially tied to MyMagic+, has mostly lain dormant since installation. This new app, built off the same technology that powers MyMagic+, seems to use much of that pre-existing in-park technology, while also possibly harnessing other game tech found in the parks, such as the Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom-themed video portals. 

Since 2016, guests have been able to use their smartphones while playing Epcot’s interactive scavenger hunt game "Agent P’s World Showcase Adventure." This new app looks to use technology similar to that used in the Agent P attraction, but across all U.S.-based Disney parks. 

In the announcement for the new app, Disney has pointed to other updates in their pre-existing apps, including the My Disney Experience app where they recently rolled out Digital Key, which allows guests to unlock their hotel rooms via their phones. 

Another major addition to that app is bus wait times. Originally tested within the app in 2016 but quickly pulled, the feature has begun to reappear within the app for certain users over the past few weeks. Disney has yet to confirm if the recent rollout is part of a test or will be a permanent addition this time. 

The Play Disney Parks app will launch this summer on both Android and iOS and is free to download. 

21 minutes ago, Travisma said:

After spending millions on updated queues, Disney has come to accept that most guests still would rather spend that time on their smartphones. (How sad is this statement?) 

Just like the teen standing at the urinal yesterday looking at his phone....:huh:

One year when my 3 boys were in the 9 - 11 ish range and didn't have smartphones yet, we went during Spring Break. Life had been hectic before our trip and while we were standing in lines I found out all sorts of things that had been going on at school and their other activities. Funny stories about teachers and classmates, what they were learning, they talked to each other about mutual friends, etc. etc. It was such a nice added bonus to spend that time together that I still remember it most about the trip. 

2 minutes ago, Seals said:

One year when my 3 boys were in the 9 - 11 ish range and didn't have smartphones yet, we went during Spring Break. Life had been hectic before our trip and while we were standing in lines I found out all sorts of things that had been going on at school and their other activities. Funny stories about teachers and classmates, what they were learning, they talked to each other about mutual friends, etc. etc. It was such a nice added bonus to spend that time together that I still remember it most about the trip. 

Now they will text/snapchat each other without a spoken word...

1 hour ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

While sitting at the same table...

And not making eye contact.....

My 12 year old granddaughter is on her phone at the school pickup line and stays on it the entire car ride home.  Usually has ear buds in also.

She used to talk and be fun in the car, but it all went downhill when her mom got her a "smartphone".

Now she is on it constantly.

1 hour ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

While sitting at the same table...

They already do that from the bedroom to the living room.  On the flip side, though, my older son is away at college and I don't think he'd keep up with his younger brothers except for snapchat/Instagram. Often when I mention what they're doing he says he knows because he already saw it on social media.  I doubt they'd keep in touch any other way.   But I also work on a college campus and I see  students standing around waiting for the bus all staring at their phones and not interacting like we would have done in the old days.  I keep thinking -- you could be standing beside your future spouse -- say hi, comment on how slow the bus is, mention how you're dreading finals, say something to make a connection because you don't know where it will lead.   But I guess that's why they have dating apps now. 

12 minutes ago, Seals said:

They already do that from the bedroom to the living room.  On the flip side, though, my older son is away at college and I don't think he'd keep up with his younger brothers except for snapchat/Instagram. Often when I mention what they're doing he says he knows because he already saw it on social media.  I doubt they'd keep in touch any other way.   But I also work on a college campus and I see  students standing around waiting for the bus all staring at their phones and not interacting like we would have done in the old days.  I keep thinking -- you could be standing beside your future spouse -- say hi, comment on how slow the bus is, mention how you're dreading finals, say something to make a connection because you don't know where it will lead.   But I guess that's why they have dating apps now. 

standing around waiting for the bus all staring at their phones

I saw a story a couple of years ago about a Dean at a smaller private college.

He would berate a student if he found then standing in a line and not having a book in their hand.  Of course this was before smartphones took over everyone's spare time.

9 minutes ago, Travisma said:

standing around waiting for the bus all staring at their phones

I saw a story a couple of years ago about a Dean at a smaller private college.

He would berate a student if he found then standing in a line and not having a book in their hand.  Of course this was before smartphones took over everyone's spare time.

Could also be reading a book on the phone while waiting. I have used mine for that many times. 

On 4/25/2018 at 1:07 PM, Travisma said:

And not making eye contact.....

My 12 year old granddaughter is on her phone at the school pickup line and stays on it the entire car ride home.  Usually has ear buds in also.

She used to talk and be fun in the car, but it all went downhill when her mom got her a "smartphone".

Now she is on it constantly.

Your car, your rules. 

Maybe one day a week for the phone, the other days for the driver and herself to live chat!