Magic Band Readers reportedly being removed from pools

https://dvcnews.com/index.php/resorts/grand-floridian/news/4137-magicband-touch-pads-reportedly-being-removed-from-resort-pools?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

According to sources, Walt Disney World resorts are in the process of removing MagicBand touch pads from pool entry points.  

Dsney's MagicBands have proven themselves a popular way to address hotel room entry, park admission, FastPass redemption and numerous other tasks.  But one of their roles is being eliminated.  

MagicBand readers are reportedly being removed from all pool entry points.  According to one source, the locks proved to be a hindrance to emergency workers requiring fast access to pools during a crisis.  The gates will remain in place around all pools, but doors will be left unlocked during operating hours.  

The touch pads have already been removed from the Beach Pool at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa.  Other Disney Vacation Club resort pools which previously required MagicBands for entry include the Paddock Pool at Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa, Cove Pool at Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort and the pools of Disney's Polynesian Villas & Bungalows.  

Resort pools are available only to registered guests and DVC members taking advantage of pool hopping privileges (subject to limitations.)  Disney Cast Members periodically use hand-held MagicBand scanners to police pool access, particularly during peak periods.  

10 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Very interesting. I don't think this will change things at the Yacht and Beach Club though. 

And, of course, no impact on the Fort, as the readers were never installed there.   

TCD 

Agreed. I expect them to have people checking everyone as they come in still at Yacht and Beach

On 4/27/2018 at 7:10 PM, Tri-Circle-D said:

Very interesting. I don't think this will change things at the Yacht and Beach Club though. 

And, of course, no impact on the Fort, as the readers were never installed there.   

TCD 

On Friday at Yacht and Beach there were no readers, and people could just walk in some of the gates.  The gates were closed but you could just lift up the latch and get in.  Around Beaches and Cream there was a cast member nearby and that is where I normally see them checking bands with a hand held.  Did they ever have the readers installed at Yacht and Beach?  I always would see the hand readers.

14 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

On Friday at Yacht and Beach there were no readers, and people could just walk in some of the gates.  The gates were closed but you could just lift up the latch and get in.  Around Beaches and Cream there was a cast member nearby and that is where I normally see them checking bands with a hand held.  Did they ever have the readers installed at Yacht and Beach?  I always would see the hand readers.

That's how it was when we were there last summer.  The main entrance had a CM scanning bands.  Not sure what was over by the bar entrance.