Whispering Canyon Cafe no more high jinks?

8 minutes ago, slices said:

Agreed. It's not like there's a lack of choice. It's like how the Disney Jr meals at Hollywood and Vine used to have the characters dancing, but apparently that was stopped because people complained.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Really???  That was Anna's favorite thing.  She loved dancing with Sophia and Doc McStuffins.

25 minutes ago, slices said:

Agreed. It's not like there's a lack of choice. It's like how the Disney Jr meals at Hollywood and Vine used to have the characters dancing, but apparently that was stopped because people complained.

What?!?!? 

My kids loved that!!! 

The only thing I hate is napkin swinging. 

3 hours ago, shoreline99 said:

No, it's because Someone ordered a PB&J Milkshake not knowing there was peanut butter in it. Vacation ruined!

(No disrespect meant to those with peanut allergies, we have a kid with allergies so we get it)

You hit the nail on the head.  

At a local elementary school a little boy had a severe peanut allergy. His mother threw such a fit that the principal band any kid from bringing a PB&J sandwich or anything with peanuts to school.   

Fortunately enough parents complained that the spineless principle reversed his decision.  And now, what I think is a good compromise, there are dedicated tables that kids with allergies can use. And if their friends want to sit with them., They have to make sure their lunch is safe for the kid.  

I get allergies. I have a shellfish allergy, and so does my younger brother.   His allergies are so severe that he has to carry an EpiPen wherever he goes. But it’s his responsibility to make sure he doesn’t come in contact with any shellfish. 

I have a friend who has a son with severe not allergies. Some of you may know her. But she has to go on a plane and wipe down the seats and tray tables before her son can sit down. She takes responsibility for her son and doesn’t push it off on other people.    

Sorry ill get off of my soap box now. 

We were at Wilderness Lodge last evening and Whispering Canyon was much quieter than before.  It did make the lobby more relaxing, but it seemed strange.  They still held the "Pony Race" for the kids, but the servers were not yelling.  I don't know what M.T. Wallet is going to do now as she serves.

I saw a lot about this over the weekend and one of the big complaints was that service was very lacking and some servers used the gimmicks as a way to get around good service.

That's not from me, just repeating what I read.

We haven't eaten there since 2011 so I don't really know what it's like these days.  I do remember our server being slow, but I also remember getting a gallon sized soda so he didn't have to come back so often, I was fine with that, to me that's using your head to save work!

WBI

• 3 weeks later...

Update...

Shenanigans are Back at Whispering Canyon Cafe Just a Little Quieter

on: 

Shenanigans are Back at Whispering Canyon Cafe Just a Little Quieter

According to our friend Mary M the shenanigans are back at Whispering Canyon Cafe at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge, they are just a little quieter.  We recently wrote about the antics at Whispering Canyon going away due to complaints but it seems they are back at it again!  We are told that the noise level within the restaurant is lowered and the fun is tamer than before, but that the same atmosphere and silliness can be found at WC.   The western style country cooking has always been a favorite location for many families on their trip to Walt Disney World and many were devastated by the changes to bring a tamer atmosphere.  It seems Disney listened because they are back at it again!

33944919_10155794182698983_3750210824044

Try asking for some ketchup or silverware, you wanted 10 right?

33943498_10155794182708983_1602211625350

33964830_10155794182713983_8971430535171

Bottomless platters and chuck wagon favorites will please the whole gang.  Come one, come all, just come hungry! Bring in the posse at the break of day for a hearty western omelet or our famous all-you-care-to-enjoy Family Platter, loaded with breakfast meats, eggs, potatoes and buttermilk biscuits. Corral the wild bunch for a country-style lunch: St. Louis-style pork ribs, Applewood-smoked turkey sandwich and more. Come sun down, sink your teeth into the all-you-care-to-enjoy Family Platter, a suppertime-exclusive featuring chicken, sausage, ribs and lip-smackin’ cowboy sides. Before you hit the trail, get a load of our most wanted desserts: Granny Smith apple-caramel pie with gelato and Mason jar cheesecake. There’s nothing like a helping of bread pudding to put a little hitch in your giddy-up-Walt Disney World

33924244_10155794182718983_1099550832237

Source and photo credit to our friend Mary M!

http://chipandco.com/shenanigans-are-back-at-whispering-canyon-cafe-just-a-little-quieter-309882/

On 5/14/2018 at 8:51 AM, shoreline99 said:

I think the coaster idea was a good middle ground for people that either weren't aware of the 'antics' in the restaurant, or for people that know and choose not to be involved. That's also great that there is a side room that's a little quieter for people who choose to enjoy things from a distance.

However, this is an example of Disney rolling over for all the complainers and special interest groups to make everything as plain vanilla and unobjectionable as possible. I've also heard rumors that the cast members at the Prime Time Diner at DHS have been told to tone it down. Let's face it, people don't really go there for the excellent food.

A good friend of mine just came back from Disney. He's a no nonsense type of guy, and he was really offended by the waitress at Prime Time. He didn't understand that's what they do there. I told him it's all part of the act. He still wasn't amused....lol

On 5/13/2018 at 10:58 PM, slices said:

Kind of irritated at myself for not trying this sooner. I am kind of curious about something though, I have heard maybe wrongly that it's not a great environment for children with sensory issues. Now obviously I wouldn't complain about this, however I'm just curious if any one has had any experience of taking children with sensory issues here.

Disney in general isn't good or easy for children with sensory issues....  You could request a table on the far side of the restaurant that's much more quite.  

31 minutes ago, bdm said:

Disney in general isn't good or easy for children with sensory issues....  You could request a table on the far side of the restaurant that's much more quite.  

True although some parts more than others,. It's not something I'm looking at booking for the next trip anyway, although maybe in November, and as I said I don't understand the complaints because I view this as my issue not Disney's.

2 hours ago, slices said:

True although some parts more than others,. It's not something I'm looking at booking for the next trip anyway, although maybe in November, and as I said I don't understand the complaints because I view this as my issue not Disney's.

I agree it would be the issue of the people who complain.  I agree with an earlier post that we the quite majority should call and complain about the change in policy so the snowflakes dont win.  But I have better things to do than sit on hold for 30 minutes, unlike the snowflakes.

On a different note, we went to whispering canyon last week for dinner. First time in a few years.  I vaguely remember it was not that good the last time, but I figured let’s try again.  We got the platter and Like I remember, it was horrible.  The brisket was all fat, the pulled pork was not pulled and 3 huge chunks of pork we thrown on the plate.  The chicken was mediocre and the sausage was just alright. The waitress stated the kitchen was backed up bad yet the place was 1/2 full.  There was some sort of Disney executive sitting by herself with a lap top and a note pad critique everything that was brought to her. Every cook and server must have visited that table 20 times. Maybe that’s why we got mediocre food.  Also, the air was down and it must have been 90 in there. Needless to say, we will be absent from there for a few more years

2 hours ago, Starbuc71 said:

On a different note, we went to whispering canyon last week for dinner. First time in a few years.  I vaguely remember it was not that good the last time, but I figured let’s try again.  We got the platter and Like I remember, it was horrible.  The brisket was all fat, the pulled pork was not pulled and 3 huge chunks of pork we thrown on the plate.  The chicken was mediocre and the sausage was just alright. The waitress stated the kitchen was backed up bad yet the place was 1/2 full.  There was some sort of Disney executive sitting by herself with a lap top and a note pad critique everything that was brought to her. Every cook and server must have visited that table 20 times. Maybe that’s why we got mediocre food.  Also, the air was down and it must have been 90 in there. Needless to say, we will be absent from there for a few more years

That's a shame especially for the price.  Crappy food and poor service is bad at any price point.

We were there for breakfast a couple of years ago, and got in for lunch a while back (didn't do the AYCE) and did get the short lived 10 gallon hat sundae which was way better than the kitchen sink.