• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK that's it looks like next year is another big trip out west, really wish the wife would retire waiting for school to end is cramping my camping!!!!!

Looks like a fantastic trip!  Well...except for that unfortunate run-in in OKC.  

Yup, totally agree. We took our kids on many road trips starting when they were very young. We visited most of the major cities on the east coast and went to Canada twice, including an adventure to Ni

5 minutes ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

People question our trips all the time saying that they won't remember.  I always tell them but I will! We love to travel and so do our kids, I totally agree on not postponing dream vacations!

WBI

Maybe not all, but they do remember parts of the trip.

3 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Oh, thank you.  We had such a wonderful time; I am so blessed, to have such a supportive husband :wub:

Thank you.  I love that last picture too.... it really captured how I was feeling, watching the sun go down before we headed up.   God was gracious and time sort-of stood still that evening. 

Hmmm....thanks?  Lice you too :lol:

Doh....dang phone....LOVE the TR! Hopefully, no lice are involved

2 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

Looks like a fantastic trip!  Well...except for that unfortunate run-in in OKC.  :lol:

Man...it. was. rough!   ;)

1 hour ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

People question our trips all the time saying that they won't remember.  I always tell them but I will! We love to travel and so do our kids, I totally agree on not postponing dream vacations!

WBI

"this" exactly.  Heck, I used to have these conversations with Tom. He too would say,  they (or at least our youngest) won't remember, I would would tell him, "yes...but this is MY life and I want these memories.  When they grow up and have a family, then they get to choose where they'll drag their kids to."   Honestly though, the kids have thoroughly enjoyed our trips and I agree with the comments about things getting tougher as they get older and more involved.  Our oldest does not play sports, or we'd already be feeling that crunch.

1 hour ago, DaveInTN said:

Daddy's Toolkit:

a10e05b946f4539fe59c54752bd25bac_ra,w3808807714160670.png

You figure out who gets what.  

Heck, in our family, we share :P;):lol:

Yup, totally agree. We took our kids on many road trips starting when they were very young. We visited most of the major cities on the east coast and went to Canada twice, including an adventure to Niagara Falls, Toronto and Cedar Point last summer. This summer I felt I had to give my now college student the option of going with us on a road trip to a wedding  and he chose not to (although I'm not proud to say I'm now trying to guilt him into it).  As for them remembering. every so often I pull out a photo album and show my kids a trip we took when they were younger and they actually enjoy seeing the photos and hearing my stories (if they are brief) as long as they are in the photos and the stories are about them. 

Enjoyed your trip so much. The photos are stunning. I can only imagine the real views were even moreso. 

9 hours ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

So, as my family has gotten older and as mentioned above it is harder to create these memories. I have come up with the perfect solution. I will join your family. So when is our next adventure sis.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

doubtful. Our first confirmed trip is Thanksgiving. We may do a long weekend or two in the summer.

Haha... the next trips planned, are all local (SE) stuff.  A couple trips to FL..AL and local in GA.  Nothing that would probably knock your socks off ^_^

8 hours ago, Seals said:

Yup, totally agree. We took our kids on many road trips starting when they were very young. We visited most of the major cities on the east coast and went to Canada twice, including an adventure to Niagara Falls, Toronto and Cedar Point last summer. This summer I felt I had to give my now college student the option of going with us on a road trip to a wedding  and he chose not to (although I'm not proud to say I'm now trying to guilt him into it).  As for them remembering. every so often I pull out a photo album and show my kids a trip we took when they were younger and they actually enjoy seeing the photos and hearing my stories (if they are brief) as long as they are in the photos and the stories are about them. 

Enjoyed your trip so much. The photos are stunning. I can only imagine the real views were even moreso. 

I'd be trying too (to guilt him into it).  Time just goes by... too darn fast.

Thank you.  The SW really is stunning; my pictures can't even begin to capture the beauty.

8 hours ago, PGHFiend said:

This is a great write-up.  Sorry about all of the drama with the camper but you were all safe in the end.  I wish I had been taken on a trip like this when I was a kid- you are brave to do this mostly solo. 

Thank you.

God kept us safe, we meet some really wonderful people and it cost us very little money.  All--in-all, barely even a hiccup in the journey.  Take that back... it was part of the journey and the journey was.. pretty. darn. amazing.

Great trip report, glad you were able to do it and had a safe memorable trip. Even with the trailer troubles nothing can beat spending time with your family and sharing those experiences. Thank you for sharing them with us.

As far as kids remembering, my grandparents and/or my mom took me traveling in the summers growing up. I can honestly say I don't remember all of the things we did or saw, but I do have many memories of the trips. Some more random memories of spending time with them as opposed to memories of actual places we visited (ie. My great aunt teaching me to roll down a hill after my grandpa had to teach me how to walk up a hill, don't laugh this is a real problem for Florida raised kids....). I only wish as I got older I had continued to travel with them, but as a teenager spending time with friends seemed more important. Now as an adult my lists of places I want to travel to includes many of the places I remember going as a child to see them through the eyes of an adult. I definitely caught the travel/rving bug from those trips as a kid and if or when I have kids I plan to do the same with them.

Thanks for a great trip report.  Really makes me wan to go back out west, especially the Grand Canyon.  I tell people it literally takes your breath away when you walk to the rim.  We're planning on going back for the fourth time in a couple of years.  If you do go back, take a hike down the Bright Angel Trail.  Gives you a whole different perspective.  We went 3 miles down last time, shooting for the 4.5 mile mark next time.  Rest stops at the 1.5, 3 and 4.5 mile marks.  The 3 mile mark is a descent of 2000 feet.  Just beautiful.

Glad you enjoyed your trip.

On 6/2/2018 at 6:53 AM, twiceblessed....nacole said:

We left Tucson, Tuesday afternoon (April 24th).  The push was our reservations at Zion (which was 580 miles away) that started the next day.   I had stalked the reservation site for weeks, trying to get a spot at Watchmen Campground inside Zion National Park.  This is one of the NP, that has sites that will actually fit a big rig (we are 40' but I would not try any larger).  The sites were 30 amp electric only, but potable water was available with a very short walk.  And they had a very nice dump station.  Price was only $30/night.  When planning this trip, I didn't want to go, if I couldn't stay at Watchmen Campground.  I had heard, too many good things about it.  I was THRILLED when I finally got a spot.  Over-the-moon excited.  Once this spot was reserved, I started planning the full trip.  As for Tucson to Zion, we stopped overnight at a Cracker Barrel South of Vegas.

Zion National Park is amazing.  Flat out, amazing.  The scenery is beautiful (something not fully depicted by my simple pics) and the weather for our trip was absolutely perfect.  Dry and 80-90 the entire visit.  We had 6 nights at the park.  One downside (I thought), was that they have no showers onsite.  At any of the bathhouses.  The town of Springdale is just a few minutes walk from the CGs (ZNP has 2 or 3 campgrounds, but Watchmen was the only one with electric that would fit our larger rig).  I believe the price was $4 for a 5 minute shower.  The town of Springdale is very small, but there are still several restaurants and shops.  There are also a couple of full hook-up campgrounds either in the town of Springdale or just before.  I had brought jugs for both potable water and grey tank disposal, so we did just fine with electric only.  Oh... and the dry climate?!  Awesome for drying clothes on the rack outside!  You put something wet outside to dry and it's dry in an hour!  It was crazy awesome!  Not like the Fort, where you hang your pool towels out to "dry" and they stay damp all week :lol:

Our loop at Watchmen, was loop A.  This was the best loop as not only did this loop have paved parking pads, but they had put down new rock for your table and fire pit area... plus, this loop was the closet to the Visitor's Center.  We had spot A25.  It was positioned between two bathhouses (or maybe I should say restrooms, since there were no showers?); potable water was located at each restroom.  The walk to the Visitor's Center was maybe 5 minutes.  The walk, to the little bridge that took you over to the city of Springdale, was maybe 7 minutes.   It's very quiet at Watchmen.  The mornings and evenings are awesome.  The way the light hits the canyon walls, as the sun rises and sets:  breathtaking.   There were mule deer everywhere and they were not afraid of people.  They did, however, find Simon our pup....to be very interesting.  That was quite hilarious.

Hey Nacole, are you in Disney right now?

Quick question about the potable water at Watchman.  Did you fill your freshwater take before arriving?  You mentioned the fresh water available at the  restrooms, did you go there an fill some jugs or something?  I'm thinking I could fill the tank at my last stop, and it would last me quite a while before I needed more.  If i did need more i could probably get some 5 gallons at a time from the restrooms?

I'm seriously planning next years trip right now and was curious about that. lol  

Thanks!

WBI

7 hours ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

Hey Nacole, are you in Disney right now?

Quick question about the potable water at Watchman.  Did you fill your freshwater take before arriving?  You mentioned the fresh water available at the  restrooms, did you go there an fill some jugs or something?  I'm thinking I could fill the tank at my last stop, and it would last me quite a while before I needed more.  If i did need more i could probably get some 5 gallons at a time from the restrooms?

I'm seriously planning next years trip right now and was curious about that. lol  

Thanks!

WBI

Hey...we’re just down the street at a city campground (a first for us!), we’ll be at the Fort, next weekend.

They make it very easy for you at Watchman.  There is a nice dump station right as you pull into the campground and there is potable water at the dump station so it’s super simple.  Additional potable water (for filling jugs) located at the bathhouse.

It’s awesome!!!  Excited for your trip!

On 6/6/2018 at 11:44 PM, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Great trip report, glad you were able to do it and had a safe memorable trip. Even with the trailer troubles nothing can beat spending time with your family and sharing those experiences. Thank you for sharing them with us.

As far as kids remembering, my grandparents and/or my mom took me traveling in the summers growing up. I can honestly say I don't remember all of the things we did or saw, but I do have many memories of the trips. Some more random memories of spending time with them as opposed to memories of actual places we visited (ie. My great aunt teaching me to roll down a hill after my grandpa had to teach me how to walk up a hill, don't laugh this is a real problem for Florida raised kids....). I only wish as I got older I had continued to travel with them, but as a teenager spending time with friends seemed more important. Now as an adult my lists of places I want to travel to includes many of the places I remember going as a child to see them through the eyes of an adult. I definitely caught the travel/rving bug from those trips as a kid and if or when I have kids I plan to do the same with them.

Hmmm...those wonderful childhood memories; I have some of those too.  I wish time didn’t move so quickly.

On 6/7/2018 at 9:54 AM, djsamuel said:

Thanks for a great trip report.  Really makes me wan to go back out west, especially the Grand Canyon.  I tell people it literally takes your breath away when you walk to the rim.  We're planning on going back for the fourth time in a couple of years.  If you do go back, take a hike down the Bright Angel Trail.  Gives you a whole different perspective.  We went 3 miles down last time, shooting for the 4.5 mile mark next time.  Rest stops at the 1.5, 3 and 4.5 mile marks.  The 3 mile mark is a descent of 2000 feet.  Just beautiful.

Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Agreed, it really does take your breath away.

Thanks for the hiking tip!!

Most excellent trip report Nacole!  I thoroughly enjoy tagging along with you and the fam... 

Now that you have tackled the "southern" route out west, now its time to plan the "northern route!

I hope you guys enjoy Disney and the weather is forever in your favor!

22 minutes ago, Duane said:

Most excellent trip report Nacole!  I thoroughly enjoy tagging along with you and the fam... 

Now that you have tackled the "southern" route out west, now its time to plan the "northern route!

I hope you guys enjoy Disney and the weather is forever in your favor!

Thank you!  Yes, we’re hoping to tackle the NE in 2020 ☺️

6 hours ago, Slapwacky said:

I wouldn't be so quick to give up on TX though.  I've only been here for 2 years and I'm moving again, but we've fallen in love with it.  Such a diverse state.

I've never lived in TX but I've traveled all over the state dozens of times for work over the past 20 years, and I really like it.   There is one area I don't like... but I'll keep that to myself so as not to offend anyone.   :lol:  But the rest I like a lot.   

9 hours ago, Slapwacky said:

Nice trip.  We took a route pretty close to this last year.  Great area and great memories.  

I wouldn't be so quick to give up on TX though.  I've only been here for 2 years and I'm moving again, but we've fallen in love with it.  Such a diverse state.

Thanks for taking us on the ride.

Thanks for coming along!!

3 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

I've never lived in TX but I've traveled all over the state dozens of times for work over the past 20 years, and I really like it.   There is one area I don't like... but I'll keep that to myself so as not to offend anyone.   :lol:  But the rest I like a lot.   

We’d still like to visit Galveston, Corpus Christi and San Antonio.  Oh..also Austin.

It’s a big state 😂