Visiting the resorts on the monorail route

Hi

I know a lot of you out there are Disney experts.

If I can manage a trip to Disney this summer. I would like to visit some of the resorts via the monorail. We will probably be staying at  Port Orleans, Riverside. What would be the best way to do this using Disney transportation? And does anyone know if Riverside still runs the boat to Disney Springs? We will probably only go to a park for 1 day and I am looking for other things to see and do. ( for free would be great)

Also, what are some interesting things to see at the resorts? 

Thanks

What Jason said - avoids having to throw a couple extra buses in the mix at Disney Springs.

We like poking around the main areas inside the resorts - lobby, shops, bars and lounges (there are quite a few of those!)  Some have more to explore than others and some (like GF) are super spread out. Also a good time to check out anything you think you might be interested in later on - like the spa or Narcoosees at GF, Trader Sam's at Poly.

And then just generally exploring the grounds - wander down towards the lake, check out the beach areas.

If you want to expand the tour a bit, hop a boat from MK or Contemp and go poke around the Wilderness Lodge.  The lobby alone there is impressive and it's lovely to grab a quick snack or a drink at Geyser Point along the lake.  Also the whole new DVC area nearby is really cool.

For other free stuff there's always poking around Disney Springs.  Lots to see and in the evening lots of places where you can hear live music for free.

14 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

Riverside definitely still runs the boat to Disney Springs. 

For monorail hopping using free Disney transport bus to MK and monorail from there. 

Thank you. I thought MK was where to get on the monorail. Its been too long since I have been to Disney.  

I also recall taking a big boat across the lake. Does this take you to the main monorail hub?

1 hour ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

What Jason said - avoids having to throw a couple extra buses in the mix at Disney Springs.

We like poking around the main areas inside the resorts - lobby, shops, bars and lounges (there are quite a few of those!)  Some have more to explore than others and some (like GF) are super spread out. Also a good time to check out anything you think you might be interested in later on - like the spa or Narcoosees at GF, Trader Sam's at Poly.

And then just generally exploring the grounds - wander down towards the lake, check out the beach areas.

If you want to expand the tour a bit, hop a boat from MK or Contemp and go poke around the Wilderness Lodge.  The lobby alone there is impressive and it's lovely to grab a quick snack or a drink at Geyser Point along the lake.  Also the whole new DVC area nearby is really cool.

For other free stuff there's always poking around Disney Springs.  Lots to see and in the evening lots of places where you can hear live music for free.

These are great ideas. Thank you.

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Do you have children who would be interested in playgrounds or children's activities at a resort?

TCD 

It will only be my husband and I. 

28 minutes ago, Ivy said:

Thank you. I thought MK was where to get on the monorail. Its been too long since I have been to Disney.  

I also recall taking a big boat across the lake. Does this take you to the main monorail hub?

These are great ideas. Thank you.

It will only be my husband and I. 

From MK you can take the large Ferry to the TTC. This is where the MK monorails and the Epcot monorails meet. there are the two monorail options at MK. Express which only stops at MK and the TTC and resort which stops at Contemporary, TTC, Poly, GF, and back to MK. 

Port Orleans has quite a bit of fun things to do, some free and some $$.

At Riverside you can rent bikes, the dreaded surrey bikes, and in the evenings carriage rides.

It's a nice walk over to FQ along the canal.

Both PO resorts have movie nights on the lawns, different nights at the different resorts.

Make sure you get beignets at the FQ food court, and in fact make sure you eat there.

You can pool hop between the two PO resorts.

Sunday mornings FQ has a beignet run thru the resort which costs.

Most of the other resorts have outdoor movie nights also.

I always like to visit the lobby area of the DVC at Wilderness Lodge.  Lots of great photos on the wall and a couple of the original cars from Walts Carrollwood Pacific RR.

Thanks everyone for the great ideas!  I really look forward to seeing the resorts and doing some exploring. 

TCD, thanks for the tip on the painting class. I have done several of those classes here at home and they are a lot of fun.

If you take a bus from Riverside to the MK it's also just an easy walk over to the Contemporary, there you can catch the launches (small boats) to wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness as well as the monorail to the other seven seas lagoon resorts. Walking to the Contemporary from the busses may allow you to bypass some of the security, just remember every time you get on the monorail you will have to go through security. 

Port Orleans depending on what days you're there it's definitely worth heading down to the river roost and checking out yehaa Bob.

My two cents. If you’re going in the latter part of the afternoon I would go up to the California Grill and grab a drink and an appetizer. No reservation required just tell them you’re going up to the bar. Which opens at 5 PM.

Swing by the  Poly  and hit trader Sam’s. It does get quite busy in there, it’s a very small place. when we were there last time we walked inside, looked around, and went outside and had a drink on the deck overlooking the bay lake.

swing by the grand Floridian and have a drink there also.

I don’t think it’s been mentioned about it but at Port Orleans Riverside there’s a free show most nights at the lobby bar. Yeehaw Bob puts on a great show and it’s free. But get there early if you want a seat

12 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

My two cents. If you’re going in the latter part of the afternoon I would go up to the California Grill and grab a drink and an appetizer. No reservation required just tell them you’re going up to the bar. Which opens at 5 PM.

Just one note - while it shouldn't be busy right at 5 unless there's an event or something going on, if for some reason it is, they won't let you up.  And once dinner service is in full-swing, they will usually call upstairs to see how busy it is before they let you up.

Also we've gotten in the habit of asking if there are any seats in the lounge, at the bar or at the sushi bar, as we've found that if you only ask for one of those, they only check that one when they call up to see how busy it is even if the other 2 have space. And you can order anything off any menu and get drinks in any of those 3 locations.  The sushi bar seats can be cool because they give you a front row seat to everything going on in the kitchen.