So for memorial day we decided to take 4 nights and go to Horse Cave Ky, only about 3 hours from home.  This park is very close to Mammoth cave, KY Down Under Zoo, and Abraham Lincoln birth place, and boy hood home.  We arrived on Saturday around noon and the park was starting to fill up.  They don't have many full hookup sites, and we had Water Electric (30amp) site.

8AzbCPb.jpg

KyVcQRm.jpg

4gAAcG2.jpg

We got setup, the sites are not level, so it took the auto level a bit to get things sorted out.  There was a fare bit of space between sites so the boy and dog could do some real playing as he calls it.

RpDcX6b.jpg

n75xg0D.jpg

After setup it was time to bike to the General Store for some ice cream something we do whenever hes been good for the trip in the truck.

Then to the pool for the rest of the day.

Day 2 started early as the boy is an early riser, so we had our breakfast, and headed out to see the park.

AJkKz3A.jpg

We had a great time exploring, and hiking and having a great lunch at the onsite restaurant.  It was VERY busy as expected and was very pleasant down in the caves.  I think the temperature was about 87F with about 90% humidity.

Back at the camper it was time to go swimming again, and spend some time jumping on the big air bag thing.  Not sure how I missed taking a picture of that but somehow i did. 

While Mom and Cody had there fun it was time for Dad to get cooking.

5ZNiS5c.jpg

2SwFHWr.jpg

A modified chicken pot pie in the dutch oven. 

This was followed by some bowling...

Day 3 and we are again up early and off the Ky Down Under (less than 5 min away)

KLzW27J.jpg

Where we got face to face with a big bird.

gbybyM5.jpg

trZMh39.jpg

and a bunch of little birds.

wCeqAw0.jpg

got to pet a kangaroo (they are super soft btw)

oCsGgP8.jpg

and pet a very fast tortes. 

Q5zYV4L.jpg

They have a cave there too it was really cool.

After a morning of petting animals from all over the world we jumped back in the truck got a quick lunch and headed just north to see where our 16th president was born.

y1DnOM2.jpg

Seems he was born in a small log cabin, inside a very nice stone building with amazingly cold AC.

On the way back to the camper the wee one nodded off so we did some driving around and happened to end up back at Mammoth Cave Park where my wife happened to decide to purchase a blanket.  Funny how these things happen eh?

Day 4

Pack up day,   Again up early but this time its Daddy and Cody donuts day.  Another tradition that allows mommy to sleep and Cody and I to go get some breakfast.  A quick google search found a local donuts shop only 20 minutes away!!

UKX6nhx.jpg

Part of this tradition is Cody get to remain in his PJs as long as Mommy is in her PJs.

After donuts, and we happened upon a car wash.. something hes fascinated with, we are back at the camper for cleanup time.  

After cleaning up and hitching up Tropical Storm whatever made it way in and we followed it 3 hours as it headed north...

First!!  Looks like a nice campground...and a fun area!

Okay... just realized that this was under pics of other campgrounds and not trip reports... LOL.  I was so excited about being first :lol:  Even so, thanks for the pictures.  Looks like a good time!

6 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

First!!  Looks like a nice campground...and a fun area!

Okay... just realized that this was under pics of other campgrounds and not trip reports... LOL.  I was so excited about being first :lol:  Even so, thanks for the pictures.  Looks like a good time!

It was the very first time my wife has ever been to that national park!! Shes lived in the South West of Ohio / Northern Ky for almost 20 years now!

5 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

We really like Mammoth Cave and were just talking about getting back up there.  We used to go and stay at the Jellystone in Cave City but that was getting long in the tooth last time we visited...which was probably 10 years ago.  

LOL at the Abe Lincoln comment.  

The Jellystone park was overhauled about 5 or so years ago.  Its really nice, but very hard to get into and $$

5 hours ago, Beckers said:

The ice cream bar picture 😍 how adorable!!

so is the upside down baby play thing to contain the dog, the child or to keep the bugs away?

The baby thing was from when he was in infant, now we use it to contain the dog and he wanted to get in and play with her so I let him.  Seems it contained both, though not sure the dog was all that happy he was there.

Looks like you had fun!!  We live an hour, hour and half, north of mammoth cave and go there fairly often for quick weekend trips. Last time we stayed at a place called Singing Hills.  Pretty basic, but the owners were super nice.  Fairly level spots, a big field to play with the dog, swings, and a small pond. We've never stayed at the Jellystone, but I've heard mixed reviews from from friends who have been there. Last we checked they sell a day pass to enjoy the activities even if you aren't camping there. Maybe something to consider... 

My wife and I did the Grand Avenue tour some years back when my folks still lived in Bardstown. We've been trying to plan a trip back to the area to do the lantern tour and were wondering about improved campgrounds. Cost isn't so much an issue as cleanliness when we are traveling so will keep the Jellystone in mind. We figure a couple of days at Mammoth and another at the state park campground in Bardstown to do a bit of the Bourbon Trail should make for a nice week long trip.

• 1 month later...