Testing of Slinky Dog to begin shortly

Cast members are to begin testing of the Slinky Dog Dash next week.  I can't wait to see the videos and pictures.  Enjoy!

https://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/slinky-dog-dash/news/08jun2018-slinky-dog-dash-test-rides-to-begin-next-week-with-disney-cast-members.htm

Slinky Dog Dash test rides to begin next week with Disney Cast Members

4 hours ago in "Slinky Dog Dash"

Forums Tweet Share Share

Toy Story Land opens June 30 2018, but unlike most other recent attraction openings, there has been no previews for Cast Members or guests.

This looks set to change next week as limited testing with Cast Members will take place June 14 - 18.

Don't expect to see Annual Passholder previews or any significant period of soft openings ahead of the June 30 opening. The timeline for completing the land remains very tight.

Slinky Dog Dash overview

Photos courtesy of WDWmagic and DisneyParksBlog and article excerpt courtesy of WDWmagic.com.  Link to complete article above.
  • 2 weeks later...

The TCD twins rode Slinky Dog Dash three times today. They said it's similar in intensity to the 7DMT ride in MK. They mentioned that the entire ride is outside, and that it was rather warm waiting in the outdoor queue. Also, the Alien ride is still not done, and has yet to be tested, and we are less than two weeks out from opening. Three years to build two rides, and they're scrambling at the end?

It sounds like we have another hit on our hands.

TCD 

14 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

The TCD twins rode Slinky Dog Dash three times today. They said it's similar in intensity to the 7DMT ride in MK. They mentioned that the entire ride is outside, and that it was rather warm waiting in the outdoor queue. Also, the Alien ride is still not done, and has yet to be tested, and we are less than two weeks out from opening. Three years to build two rides, and they're scrambling at the end?

It sounds like we have another hit on our hands.

TCD 

That's pretty great they got early access!

I never understood the outdoor queue, after all these years why would they do that to us...(I know it's cheaper)  The whole ride and queue make me think of Barnstormer, but I doubt the waits will ever have any low times.

Typical construction stuff, always scramble at the last minute, story of my work life.

WBI

When I went to the show in NYC on Toy Story Land they were explaining the theme/idea behind it to us as Andy was building an amusement park in his backyard. He took a car race track and put Slinky Dog on it, turned his lunch box into a food stand, and the Alien Spinning Saucers was a prize he won from Pizza Planet. He combined that with his Toy Story Mania playset and other toys. I don't agree with the no indoor queue but I think they didnt do one as they felt it wouldnt have fit the theming they were going for. 

3 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

When I went to the show in NYC on Toy Story Land they were explaining the theme/idea behind it to us as Andy was building an amusement park in his backyard. He took a car race track and put Slinky Dog on it, turned his lunch box into a food stand, and the Alien Spinning Saucers was a prize he won from Pizza Planet. He combined that with his Toy Story Mania playset and other toys. I don't agree with the no indoor queue but I think they didnt do one as they felt it wouldnt have fit the theming they were going for. 

Hmmm, and Florida doesn't have blazing temperatures and a lot of rain?  They could've figured some sort of thematic covering.

Well that way if the rain is so bad the ride is shut down, there won't be anyone in line.

And the first part of the FOP queue can get pretty toasty, but then you cool down once you're inside the mountain.

5 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

That's an interesting spin.

I was at the D23 Expo in Anaheim when they announced this new land, and the speaker announced that it would be equivalent in theming to Cars Land in California. 

As suspected, that was a blatant lie. 

What we have instead is a cheaply themed area with two minor rides. 

They continue to skim the profits from WDW and spend them on the other less popular parks around the world. The lagging attendance this summer shows that their cheapness is catching up with them. 

TCD 

19 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

They continue to skim the profits from WDW and spend them on the other less popular parks around the world. The lagging attendance this summer shows that their cheapness is catching up with them. 

TCD 

I have heard reference to attendance being down this summer.  For those that have been to WDW this summer, and have visited in previous summers, is it noticeable?  And what are the reasons it is down?  Are people waiting for the Star Wars stuff to open?  Is international travel down for some reason?  Is it truly being impacted by Disney's price hikes or is that just speculation?  Are the attendance issues expected to continue beyond the summer season?  

6 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

I have heard reference to attendance being down this summer.  For those that have been to WDW this summer, and have visited in previous summers, is it noticeable?  And what are the reasons it is down?  Are people waiting for the Star Wars stuff to open?  Is international travel down for some reason?  Is it truly being impacted by Disney's price hikes or is that just speculation?  Are the attendance issues expected to continue beyond the summer season?  

The numbers may be down a bit but I don't see a noticeable difference.  On Saturday, we had 11:30 reservations for Via Napoli.  We were walking through the World Showcase and it was empty shortly after opening, which is normal.  My daughter commented how empty the restaurant seemed after we were seated.  About 45 minutes later the place was mobbed, and as we walked around World Showcase afterwards, we were surprised how crowded it seemed.

Fort Wilderness seemed very quiet this trip, and Hoop De Doo did not seem very crowded.  I guess it is possible that people who come every few years are delaying a year or two to hit Star Wars, and/or the 50th anniversary.

1 hour ago, DaveInTN said:

MGM and Epcot had decent/low crowds.  AK was packed yesterday; MK is always busy (but...maybe a little lower than normal, with the heat of hell, it’s tough for me to judge).

We checked into the Fort on Saturday, but drove through Friday night.  It was packed.  Of the 8 premium loops we drove through, there were 5 open sites.  On Saturday however, 300 check-outs (according to one CM).

Could not get stand-by at TE for breakfast on Sunday....but, it was Father’s Day.  Did take-out, instead ☺️

4 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

Yes, the low attendance was noticeable, but Disney already addressed it by lifting the block out dates for silver AP's and issuing two free comp tickets to every CM. Those comp tickets have to be used by 6/29. Those two moves are driving traffic through the turnstiles. 

We will see what happens in July. I don't think that the underwhelming Toy Story Land is going to do much to move the attendance needle, so more "deals" may be on the way. 

TCD 

Here is a video I found on You Tube about the "finishing touches" for Toy Story Land.  There was one with this CM talking about the Slinky Dog ride (for 13 minutes), but I only got through the first 45 seconds of it before I had to turn it off.  So, not going to post that one.

Video courtesy of YouTube and Disney.

16 hours ago, djsamuel said:

Fort Wilderness seemed very quiet this trip, and Hoop De Doo did not seem very crowded.  I guess it is possible that people who come every few years are delaying a year or two to hit Star Wars, and/or the 50th anniversary.

Rode my bike through the loops this morning, the Fort is at 99%, but I agree...it does feel quiet.

42 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Rode my bike through the loops this morning, the Fort is at 99%, but I agree...it does feel quiet.

It seemed like there were fewer kids too.  Maybe they were all in the parks or inside enjoying air conditioning.  There were certainly a lot of transition on Saturday and Sunday.

17 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

If you'd like to read a lot of numbers based info Josh over at Easywdw.com has posted a few times about it.  He went back and looked at wait times for the past 18 months or something and goes into excruciating detail.  This is one of the posts:

https://www.easywdw.com/easy/blog/when-is-the-best-time-to-visit-walt-disney-world-based-on-a-lot-of-wait-times/

I think one of the takeaways is that yes, summer crowds are down.  But you have to remember that Disney accounts for low crowds now by shutting down rides for refurbs, reducing staff, ie reducing capacity of rides, and changing park hours, to name a few.  They have ways to make the lower crowd times have waits too.

WBI

3 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

It seemed like there were fewer kids too.  Maybe they were all in the parks or inside enjoying air conditioning.  There were certainly a lot of transition on Saturday and Sunday.

Agreed.  My kiddos have been super bummed about that; they’ve always found friends to play with around our site....not this time 😕

2 minutes ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

They have ways to make the lower crowd times have waits too.

WBI

Oh my goodness...right?!!  Unbelievable how many “technical difficulties” we’ve ran into this trip. Sigh...