• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, PGHFiend said:

I sold it to a guy. It needed a new bed and tailgate and some small stuff. It was a great great truck, but 156k on the clock and living in the rust belt,  I figured it was time. 

My company truck with the v-10 is at 199,000 miles and still runs good. No rust we don't salt our roads and I don't take it to the beach so it's salt free.

• 1 month later...

I'm updating this with my first really long tow report. We did the 550 mile trek to FW. The 450 performed flawlessly. I set the adaptive cruise on 68 to 70 and just let it work. A few times I did run 80 or so when passing started pissing me off lol. I can't get over how relaxed and easy it is to drive. All of the tech on the truck really enhances the experience. Pulling 17k lbs really seems like 8 or 10k. If you took the mirrors off you would forget that you were pulling. I think the 19.5" tires really help....stability is unbelievable.   The computer had the average mpg at 10. Honestly, I wouldn't care if it only got 5 it pulls so nice. The 48 gallon tank is a big plus too. I went right at 400 miles before I fueled up. Overall I couldn't be happier. If you're on the fence for a newer truck I fully recommend a 450. 

3 hours ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

I'm updating this with my first really long tow report. We did the 550 mile trek to FW. The 450 performed flawlessly. I set the adaptive cruise on 68 to 70 and just let it work. A few times I did run 80 or so when passing started pissing me off lol. I can't get over how relaxed and easy it is to drive. All of the tech on the truck really enhances the experience. Pulling 17k lbs really seems like 8 or 10k. If you took the mirrors off you would forget that you were pulling. I think the 19.5" tires really help....stability is unbelievable.   The computer had the average mpg at 10. Honestly, I wouldn't care if it only got 5 it pulls so nice. The 48 gallon tank is a big plus too. I went right at 400 miles before I fueled up. Overall I couldn't be happier. If you're on the fence for a newer truck I fully recommend a 450. 

Good to hear.

22 hours ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

No surprise here. That truck is a thoroughbred 

I CAT scaled the rig today. 

Gross combined without any passengers and full fuel was 25,700 lbs. Well below the 41,700 rating

Gross vehicle weight was 12,960 lbs. Max is 14,000 lbs. The 450 pickup is limited only on paper for its gvwr....as to not put it in medium duty territory. 

Add approximately 700lbs to each number to account for 5 people in the truck. 

Empty weight of the truck is 9,188 lbs. So the pin weight and hitch adds 3,772 lbs. 

The trailer axles came in at 12,740 lbs. So approximating 3,500 for the pin...it puts the camper at 16,240 lbs with a 1/3 fresh water and a golf cart in the back. 

On 11/23/2018 at 9:23 PM, ImDownWithDisney said:

I know what you mean. We took our Reflection for a weekend trip before we had to winterize it.  I knew it would be our only chance to test the new combo out before Fort spring break.  This truck is unreal, it pulled the 12500 lbs like it wasn't there.  I know every hill on the way to the campground we went to and I was impressed.  Hills where the v10 would have been looking at 30 mph I was doing 50 with ease. Engine braking is just as impressive. Stability with the DRW was better than my 250, but it was never really an issue.   But the brakes, wow...there were times I'd be downshifting and looking for an escape route with the 250, it had only vaccuum brakes.  I bet the dually could stop 2 trailers.  

Glad your as happy as I am with your new truck. 

5 hours ago, PGHFiend said:

I know what you mean. We took our Reflection for a weekend trip before we had to winterize it.  I knew it would be our only chance to test the new combo out before Fort spring break.  This truck is unreal, it pulled the 12500 lbs like it wasn't there.  I know every hill on the way to the campground we went to and I was impressed.  Hills where the v10 would have been looking at 30 mph I was doing 50 with ease. Engine braking is just as impressive. Stability with the DRW was better than my 250, but it was never really an issue.   But the brakes, wow...there were times I'd be downshifting and looking for an escape route with the 250, it had only vaccuum brakes.  I bet the dually could stop 2 trailers.  

Glad your as happy as I am with your new truck. 

Good to hear. I've been curious how you like it. 

22 hours ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

I CAT scaled the rig today. 

Gross combined without any passengers and full fuel was 25,700 lbs. Well below the 41,700 rating

Gross vehicle weight was 12,960 lbs. Max is 14,000 lbs. The 450 pickup is limited only on paper for its gvwr....as to not put it in medium duty territory. 

Add approximately 700lbs to each number to account for 5 people in the truck. 

Empty weight of the truck is 9,188 lbs. So the pin weight and hitch adds 3,772 lbs. 

The trailer axles came in at 12,740 lbs. So approximating 3,500 for the pin...it puts the camper at 16,240 lbs with a 1/3 fresh water and a golf cart in the back. 

Dont you have to have a cdl once you hit 26001lbs? Thought I read that somewhere when I was looking for my Ram 2500. Was considering a 3500 dually and the newer models put you into cdl territory with specific 5th wheel combos.

5 minutes ago, rtguy007 said:

Dont you have to have a cdl once you hit 26001lbs? Thought I read that somewhere when I was looking for my Ram 2500. Was considering a 3500 dually and the newer models put you into cdl territory with specific 5th wheel combos.

That's for commercial vehicles here in Alabama. 

12 minutes ago, rtguy007 said:

From my understanding in Texas that does apply but it's a different class of cdl then what a trucker has. But I have never looked into it because I wasn't heavy enough. And what I saw was just on a YouTube video so nothing official.

8 minutes ago, LONE-STAR said:

From my understanding in Texas that does apply but it's a different class of cdl then what a trucker has. But I have never looked into it because I wasn't heavy enough. And what I saw was just on a YouTube video so nothing official.

Thats what I vaguely recall with Ohio laws. I believe it is a specific type of cdl but I dont recall what it was. I am in the same boat where I am no where near that amount of weight with a TT but if/when I upgrade the truck I may move to a 3500 and will revisit the laws again. I do recall things getting weird once you got up over 26k when it came to your license.

I have a lot of LEO friends and family, including several state troopers. I've asked those that are on the road if they have ever stopped an RV or camper to check the weight. All say that unless you're obviously way overloaded or have items unsecured that they don't give it a second look. 

Now if you have a logo on your truck and pulling a deck trailer or something you'll have a lot more scrutiny.  

I don't see much chance of a scenario where I'm on the scales with my rig. 

48 minutes ago, rtguy007 said:

Dont you have to have a cdl once you hit 26001lbs?

It varies drastically from state to state. Most do not require a special license for an RV, no matter what type, over 26,000. As you referenced Ohio does not. The CDL law was actually put in place by the FEDs for " commercial" drivers only then some states made some modifications for RV's.

5 minutes ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

I have a lot of LEO friends and family, including several state troopers. I've asked those that are on the road if they have ever stopped an RV or camper to check the weight. All say that unless you're obviously way overloaded or have items unsecured that they don't give it a second look. 

I was typing my other comment when you posted.

X-2 There are no weight restrictions for non commercial vehicles. 

Actually depending on what state there can be a weight restriction that might require you a special endorsement for your driver's license, not CDL rated and up to each state. Look at my rig, a Kenworth T2000 full size tractor but registered in my home state as a Recreational Vehicle so no CDL required to operate, now it does have air brakes but so do the large diesel pusher motorhomes. Now I am not saying I agree with not having to have a CDL ( I do ) but look at how many people buy a large motorhome with no CDL or experience operating one. I have read a lot of info about this on the Escapees forum boards when making the choice to tow like I do.

PA as most states treat air brakes as a restriction on your liscense, just like corrective lesnes. Anyone who drives air brakes without the endorsement is doing so illegally. Now, most people don't know and will likely never be stopped.  PA also rolled out an RV class A and B, but I already have a CDL. 

14 hours ago, PGHFiend said:

PA as most states treat air brakes as a restriction on your liscense, just like corrective lesnes. Anyone who drives air brakes without the endorsement is doing so illegally. Now, most people don't know and will likely never be stopped.  PA also rolled out an RV class A and B, but I already have a CDL. 

That's good info to know. I also keep my CDL up to date and would have no problem if every state would require a class endorsement to operate a rv.

What States Require a Special License for RVs?

Most of the time RV licensing is simple and there’s nothing to worry about. But, if you’re not entirely sure that your RV meets the requirements to drive under a basic driver license, it’s better to be safe than sorry! The following states require a special license for driving an RV - but remember, not all of these states have the exact same requirements; some require different license classes and have different length and weight requirements. It's always a good idea to check your state’s specific laws before you hit the road.

● California
● Maryland
● Michigan
● North Carolina
● New Mexico
● Nevada
● Pennsylvania
● Texas
● Washington, D.C.
● Wyoming

Do You Need a CDL to Drive an RV?

While all this information may already seem a tad bit overwhelming, there is one more area that should be considered. That’s commercial driver licenses, or CDLs. This special type of license is used for driving commercial vehicles such as city buses. Sometimes, however, a CDL is required for driving an RV. There are eight states in particular that require a commercial license for RVs that clock in at higher than the maximum weight requirements:

● Connecticut
● Hawaii
● Kansas
● Michigan
● New York
● South Carolina
● Indiana
● Wisconsin