6 minutes ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

The bed height on trucks these days is just stupid.

Exactly!  I had to keep a folding stool in the truck so Linda could get it.  

We went looking at the Colorados and they are terrible too. Very poor cab design, every time I tried to get in I was bumping my head.  

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, DaveInTN said:

The market has dictated that higher, beefier looking trucks sell.  Primarily to people that don't actually use them as "trucks"...they just want to look cool.  

Nice truck, BTW, Blake.  I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from it.  

Thanks,  Dave.

Marketing...yep. they should offer a normal bed for us that actually need to use the bed. 

On 6/19/2018 at 9:15 PM, PGHFiend said:

That's almost 2 full 35 gallon tanks with the v10. Can't wait to hear more. 

Just did a day trip to the smokies. 436 miles total today. Ran 72 to 75 on the interstate, did some 2 lanes, and a trip through the park and cades cove (lots of stop and go). Computer said an average of 16.0 mpg for the trip. I'm pretty happy with that for a truck with 4.30 gears. 

14 hours ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

Just did a day trip to the smokies. 436 miles total today. Ran 72 to 75 on the interstate, did some 2 lanes, and a trip through the park and cades cove (lots of stop and go). Computer said an average of 16.0 mpg for the trip. I'm pretty happy with that for a truck with 4.30 gears. 

I know with my 2006 Ram (regular gas), if I set the cruise control to 58 to 60 I can get about 22 to 24 MPG on the interstate.

Once I push it past 60 I can see the mileage drop to the 17 to 18 range.

Of course this is driving in flat FL.

9 hours ago, Travisma said:

I know with my 2006 Ram (regular gas), if I set the cruise control to 58 to 60 I can get about 22 to 24 MPG on the interstate.

I don't think I could go that slow on the interstate if it gave me 100 mpg. Unless they lower the speed back to 55 mph

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 11:20 AM, Travisma said:

Yeah, speed kills mileage. I just drive what speed I want and pay the price.

I am surprised that the 450 with 4.30 gears gets the same as my 350 with 4.10's. The extra gear in the 450's transmission sure helps. They both turn about the same rpm at 75. My 350 would get 10-11 pulling our toyhauler at 65-70 mph. I am curious what the 450 will do.

We got back a week ago from a Southwest 7,000 mi round trip from NJ.  We have 2015 F350 carrying Lance 4,500 lb bed camper. The the cruise control, exhaust break and tow haul features got a work out.  No only for the inclines, also the many 4%, 6% and even 1 10% declines.  Great looking F-450 you got.

7 hours ago, BeckersDadJohn said:

We got back a week ago from a Southwest 7,000 mi round trip from NJ.  We have 2015 F350 carrying Lance 4,500 lb bed camper. The the cruise control, exhaust break and tow haul features got a work out.  No only for the inclines, also the many 4%, 6% and even 1 10% declines.  Great looking F-450 you got.

Thank you...can't wait to make that trip to the southwest. I really wish we had a slide in for that trip. I've thought about buying a used one then selling it afterwards. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

I pulled a 7,500 lb load the other day with the 450. It felt like pulling a small lawn trailer. This thing is going to drag our toyhauler down the road. 

I love modern diesel trucks they tow so much better then the old ones. 

• 3 weeks later...

You got my wheels turning and now I've been doing a little research on the f450 for a new truck.  It looks like the new 450s are too tall for my garage and I really wanted the turn radius improvement.  I found a package on the 350 drw until 2016 called the heavy payload aka "Tow Boss" package that gives you the 450 front axle on a 350 chassis.  I've learned to tell them apart while searching by the big front fender flare just like the 450 uses.  

This could get interesting. 

20 hours ago, PGHFiend said:

You got my wheels turning and now I've been doing a little research on the f450 for a new truck.  It looks like the new 450s are too tall for my garage and I really wanted the turn radius improvement.  I found a package on the 350 drw until 2016 called the heavy payload aka "Tow Boss" package that gives you the 450 front axle on a 350 chassis.  I've learned to tell them apart while searching by the big front fender flare just like the 450 uses.  

This could get interesting. 

I think the new F450 is essentially a rebadged tow boss package. Years ago the F450 truck had more differences. Now it is essentially wide track front end, larger rear axle shafts and bearings, larger brakes, a 4.30 gearset, and 19.5 tires.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, PGHFiend said:

I'll be right behind you! 

2016 CCLB 4x4 6.7 DRW ,3.73 gears.  So far so good! 

2018-10-17 22.30.04.jpg

Nice truck you will enjoy the power I liked my 6.7 power stroke.  But it might be hard hooking up that 5th wheel with that camper she'll on the back.

37 minutes ago, PGHFiend said:

I couldn't find a nice 450, bit the 350 should do just fine. Can't wait to try it out

350 or 450....both trucks are highly capable and overkill for all but the biggest trailers. Congrats on the new truck. The hardest part is not telling everyone you meet how well it pulls. 

1 hour ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

350 or 450....both trucks are highly capable and overkill for all but the biggest trailers. Congrats on the new truck. The hardest part is not telling everyone you meet how well it pulls. 

That's true the new diesel trucks are so capable it's amazing from what my old 7.3 and 6.0 did. Now I will say though our old 5.9 would always pull but it was a manual transmission and I don't miss that.

This truck has a ton of power.  I'm a little nervous about the diesel but it's under warranty for a long time.   I was going to buy a brand new 6.2 gas dually but this ended up being the same price with a few more gadgets.  Also, I knew this era truck would fit in my garage and get under my trailer without any mods. A new ford dually or any single wheel 350 would not have fit but these duallys are much lower.