Yes, the announcement you all have been waiting for....

Supergeek has recoded the app for Apple.  The old version is back and running on the Apple platform.  And what is more good news.....

Look for your app on both platforms to update, hopefully several times, in the coming weeks over the summer for new and exciting things to come!

Here are some hints:  addition of a loop, new sponsors, new pictures, interesting new features 

If you have issues, please text SuperGeek or AuburnJen (if you don't have their number, pm'ing here will do)

Please spread the word that the app is back in action.  We would like to boost the sponsorship for the app as much as possible and get the word out that it is back up.  We would also like it to STAY FREE FOR ALL USERS.  In order to do that, we would like to have more than one sponsor.  Please spread the word.  SuperGeek does his work for free, but Apple and others don't.  😉

He has been tapping on the computer and my son's phone most of the night since he got home.  I saw some progress and then he started saying words at it (the computer).  So, he is typing more and clicking the mouse more.  I would imagine he will have the problem fixed by morning, but not before this lady hits the bed.  If you are not seeing the app in the store yet and you have an Apple phone, keep checking.  He is fixing the kinks.  Remember, Apple has made MANY version changes since he originally coded it so it showed up in the store if you had an Apple 5. (I think).  He says he is in the middle of fixing all the little issues right now.

SuperGeek told me that there is an issue (on Apple platforms only) in the way the code has to retrieve the information from our servers.  On the newer versions of the Apple phones, it is asking for a different protocol.  I would go into it, but most of you have tuned me out by now, so just know that has been identified and a solution is going to be created asap.

1 hour ago, AuburnJen said:

SuperGeek told me that there is an issue (on Apple platforms only) in the way the code has to retrieve the information from our servers.  On the newer versions of the Apple phones, it is asking for a different protocol.  I would go into it, but most of you have tuned me out by now, so just know that has been identified and a solution is going to be created asap.

Aww it was just getting to the good parts. 😉

I just let SuperGeek know that the word is out on Facebook.  Thanks to all the people helping me get the word out.  I just made an official post on both our sites on Facebook just to make sure rumors don't start going around.  Just so everyone knows, he won't be able to work on anything until this evening.  

OK so working on 6-year-old code that Apple's development environment "helpfully" updated to modern times is cool and good and entirely not making my hair turn greyer at a faster rate than my teenager does already.

Here's where we're at:

The old, busted version of the app that was released lo these many years ago still works great- if you haven't upgraded past iOS version 10 or so. (I think that's right, might be version 8, your experience may vary, consult your dealer for details, for external use only, etc.) But nobody's using that who has anything close to a modern iPhone, so you probably don't even see it in your app store yet.

So I have to figure out what is making it not work. Most of that work is so boring that even I don't want to get into it. Just clearing out digital cobwebs, mostly.

But the big stopper was that we store the site images on this very site, hidden off in an obscure corner of our web space. And the URL to get to it was a plain old http:// address, just like everything else. Apple had the fabulous idea a couple of iOS versions ago to require any app that makes a call to the web to retrieve something must make it via a secure connection. Since that was failing, no images were coming through, which is a Bad Result. So I had to fix that. I think I have that working now, and I'm about to try switching it on, so we can throw two stones at one bird (to coin a phrase):

As a result of all that back-end mucking around, we're going to flip the switch and make fortfiends.net light up your browser as a secure site. This is a Good Thing, because it will help our Google rank, and hey, it's secure. Secure is good, and I have it on good authority that it's at least somewhat better than Not Secure.

And if all that works, one of the main barriers to having an app update out that actually works for everyone will be gone. I don't like giving myself deadlines, but I would say that before the week is out, you Apple folks should have a little gift waiting for you.

Thank you, once again, for reading all the way through another episode of Chris Talks Way Over Everyone's Head About Web Stuff. I love you.

Now see, Jason....there was the REST of the story!

And by the way, thank YOU from the bottom of my heart for dealing with trolls on Facebook.  I was at karate and not near a phone.  The instructor frowns upon such things...

When I got back, SuperGeek was all excited because the app was working!  Now Apple wants 10 different versions of the icon in different sizes/pixels for each new phone version.  He is making those now.  Hopefully this will be the last hiccup and he can send the "build" to Apple so everyone can see their icons tomorrow.  

Please remember, this will be the OLD version.  The new features will come in updates.  

1 hour ago, AuburnJen said:

Now see, Jason....there was the REST of the story!

And by the way, thank YOU from the bottom of my heart for dealing with trolls on Facebook.  I was at karate and not near a phone.  The instructor frowns upon such things...

When I got back, SuperGeek was all excited because the app was working!  Now Apple wants 10 different versions of the icon in different sizes/pixels for each new phone version.  He is making those now.  Hopefully this will be the last hiccup and he can send the "build" to Apple so everyone can see their icons tomorrow.  

Please remember, this will be the OLD version.  The new features will come in updates.  

I know I am in the minority but I enjoyed his description of the battle he has been waging. I like learning new things. 

I am always happy to battle trolls. :-)

I am sure he will give you another update this evening.  He told me that he is finalizing the startup screen and didn't get it finished before his eyes crossed.

(it also had the same issue as the icon for the Apple Store)

And I misspoke last night, there were 12 different sizes he created, not 10.

Still working, folks.

Good news: I have a working version under iOS 11.4 and below now uploaded to the App Store.

Bad news: I have to update all the screenshots that go into the App Store page and write all the update copy, and then we have to wait on Apple to review the whole business and post it.

I have no idea how long that takes these days. Used to be at least a week or so, but that was back in the day, and this is an update and not a brand new app, so things may be different.

I'll keep everyone posted.

19 minutes ago, AuburnChris said:

Still working, folks.

Good news: I have a working version under iOS 11.4 and below now uploaded to the App Store.

Bad news: I have to update all the screenshots that go into the App Store page and write all the update copy, and then we have to wait on Apple to review the whole business and post it.

I have no idea how long that takes these days. Used to be at least a week or so, but that was back in the day, and this is an update and not a brand new app, so things may be different.

Thank you Chris for your efforts!!

On 6/20/2018 at 10:54 PM, AuburnChris said:

Still working, folks.

Thanks Super Geek!!  Give a shout if there's anything non-technical I can help with.  This week's been bonkers, but it's going to be cool and rainy here tomorrow, and I've got a couple of other small side projects I plan to have the laptop open for anyway. 🙂