Now I am not by any means an expert, but I am a lot smarter now re.  replacement of the awning fabric on a Dometic AE awning.  The job took about 5 hours total including lunch and pee breaks, and I will admit I have not put away my tools yet.  I also have many band aids on my hand and just about got killed by a flying vice grip pliers as a spring released tension and I lost my grip.  But if your local RV repair shop is like mine, they would have charged me 600 bucks in labor over and above the 200 bucks for the fabric, my camper would have sat in their lot for a month and the work would have been done by a high school kid at a summer job.  So if you need any advice or just some words of encouragement, just write me a post.  Now, it's time for an adult beverage.  KUNGALOOSH, campers!

The problem came with the left hand spring.  You have to load the spring then put the end plug on the support arm.  Not easy with a loaded spring.  I ended up putting the cap on the arm and winding the spring by rotating the arm like a propeller.  The other side was no problem since it had the ratchet.

The technic used depends on the awning. In my case, you could lock the right side with a cotter pin or nail, but the left side not only has no hole  for the nail, but if you could put one in there is nothing inside for the nail to engage to prevent the spring from unwinding.  The ratchet on the right side makes a nail or cotter pin unnecessary.