Toy Story Land Opening Day

The TCD gang made it to the grand opening of Toy Story Land this morning, June 30, 2018. I expected a mess, but we ended up having a very pleasant experience. 

We were able to snag Fastpasses for the Slinky Dog coaster 60+ days ago, so the plan was to rope drop and try to ride the Aliens ride via standby. 

Park opening was at 8 am, but after seeing how things were done for the opening of Pandora last year, we knew that we would need to be at DHS well in advance of 8. 

One of the twins heard a rumor that they were going to start admitting guests at 6:00 am. So, we decided to shoot for getting there at 5:30 am. 

We made it on time, and found that a few folks got there even earlier than us:

IMG_3125_zpswlxunulp.jpg

Note that some folks were napping on the ground. The security guard at the bag check told me that some guests had shown up at midnight. 

I'm sure you all know that summer is hot in Florida, but it wasn't too bad at that hour of the morning.  Check it out:

IMG_3104_zpsxplqjs5b.png

The rumor about guests being let in at 6 was true, and they had CM's at each line with iPads to expedite the scanning process. All of the shops on Hollywood Boulevard were open, so the kids were able to get their Toy Story Land merchandise with no wait. Sweet. 

Then, we headed on back to the land. There was already a long line for Slinky Dog Dash when we got there, but they let guests who wanted to ride the other rides head right on in. We were ready to board Aliens at 6:36 am:

IMG_3105_zpsfq4tipr8.jpg

I liked the ride. I thought the decorations and lighting were well done. I didn't care for the music. I prefer the Mater's Junkyard Jamboree version of this ride, but this version was still fun. 

Next, we stopped for this photo op. I'm pointing to the word Midway, which was dropped from the WDW version of the ride way over a year ago:

IMG_3123_zpsfqzjzqbd.jpg

Since we had time to kill before our FP return time, we rode the Toy Story Mania ride. We got to use the new entrance, and I was very happy to see that the Mr. Potato Head animatronic was back. 

We still had more time, so we decided to sample some of the food from Woody's Lunch Box. I wasn't sure if they had seating here, but they do: 

IMG_3117_zpsosd7hwgz.jpg

Here's what we had; it was a sampling of most of the breakfast menu items:

IMG_3118_zpsy0ymmcgz.jpg[/URL

The hits here were the fake Pop Tarts and the S'mores sandwich, but it was all good. 

The new land is full of cool details. Here's Andy's footprint:

IMG_3112_zpsvgmib14e.jpg

The new area looks small on the park maps, but it was bigger and more spacious in person:

IMG_3113_zpsb4qg4xek.jpg

We had no problem riding Slinky Dog Dash:

IMG_3124_zpsraje1yct.jpg

The Disney Parks App issued a warning at 9:26 am:

IMG_3119_zps8jvm9i0f.png

It was good for us that they were restricting access to Toy Story Land. It wasn't good for the poor guests who didn't get there early. 

At that time, we had successfully ridden the three attractions in Toy Story Land, and it was getting unpleasantly hot and crowded, so we bounced. Here's how wait times looked as we exited the park:

IMG_3120_zpsbqenlcxj.png

And that's that. It was quick, but it was a lot better than I expected. 

TCD

We are really looking forward to seeing this, but were unable to get FP for Slinky Dog.  Now I am a bit worried.  Hopefully, things will get more manageable by the time we arrive in August. We are definitely early risers and plan to take advantage of the 7am extra magic hours.  I guess we will plan on arriving as early as possible.

Glad to hear Mr Potato Head is back!  We missed him.  

Thanks for the on the spot reporting....

7 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Icing on both and fake fruit pieces on the strawberry one, and bacon on the Nutella one. Both also had "pearls," whatever those are. 

TCD 

Pearls are the hip way to say “sprinkle balls” 😂

Neither sounds too appetizing to me, I’ll stick with a bowl full of “potatoes barrels”.

Just returned from riding slinky dog and I like it better than 7DMT and BTMR. Awesome ride and crowds were not as bad today (Sunday) as they were yesterday. I really appreciated the attention to detail this land has to offer, the Tinker Toys are really cool along with Andy’s footprints throughout the area. TCD has done such a great job already, I just thought I would add my .02 worth.

I read somewhere else that the theming and attention to details were pretty awesome.  They did mention that there was really no shade anywhere and that it was pretty hot back in that part of the park.  I think the way they described it was it as "Animal Kingdom hot".  They also mentioned that there was no real place to duck into or find cover in the event of the "Florida downpours".

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2018/07/12/video-shows-orlando-city-players-taking-on-green-army-men-from-disneys-toy-story-land

Disney is keeping TSL in the media...

And I can't see the video, maybe if you all follow the link you can.

Video shows Orlando City players taking on Green Army Men from Disney's Toy Story Land

In a match-up of massive cross-promotional proportions, Orlando City players and the Green Army Men from Disney's latest Toy Story Land attraction recently faced off on the pitch. 

In the short clip, players Jonathan Spector, Joe Bendik, Uri Rosell and Sacha Kljestan do their best footwork against the Army Men with a massive inflatable Pixar ball. 

According to Disney, Toy Story characters will also "play big" at the July 14 match against Toronto FC at Orlando City Stadium. Tickets are available here.