Pet Safety in your automobile

Lola has always been a "hold in your arms so she can look out the window" kind of dog. That's fine on a little ride around town, it get's old on a long trip. I started researching and their were zillions of car safety seats for dogs. I bought one that can be used on my bike, as a carry purse and as a car booster seat.

How do your pets ride to the Fort?

My 60# doberman want to be the same "hold in your arms so she can look out the window".  That is fine in my pickup, but the it dosen't work in the RV.  She can hit the shifter in the RV moving around and has knocked us out of gear twice on the interstate.  So in the RV, she now rides in her crate.  She whines at first, but then lays down and sleeps.  :grpwelcome:

We do stop at least every 3-4 hours and walk her.  Since all she does is sleep anyway during a normal non travel day, she would probably be just fine for longer periods of time.  :dance:

In the car they ride in the back seat. I have carry cases for them that I leave open. They are happy and so am I. In the MH, 2 ride on my lap.one on the engine cover. The 2 youngest haven't been in the MH yet so it will be interesting to see what spot they make theirs. :grpwelcome:.

This is the "carseat" our Yorkie rides in...(except in my profile pic...he decided to drive today!  :argh:)

http://www.amazon.com/Solvit-Tagalong-Booster-Standard-Medium/dp/B003F76Y6E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304116995&sr=8-1

You can attach his harness to it so he's safe and won't jump out!

We have 3 herding dogs.  If they didn't ride in crates I'm pretty sure we'd crash every 3 miles. 

When we only had 2 they rode behind a barrier in the SUV.  That was until we were on our way to the Fort and stopped at a rest area along 95 in NJ at 3am.  I popped open the back lift gate and out flew Brady!

AHHHH!

I screamed his name, he (thankfully) stopped on a dime, spun around and tried to jump back in the truck, I dropped the lift gate on my arm, and Brady crashed into it.

Then there was the Thanksgiving he freaked out because the snow we were driving through was making too much noise and he busted through the barrier, ran through the pumpkin pie and dove into Brian's lap (I was driving).

After cleaning up pumpkin pie pawprints all over the truck, we opted for crates.

We have 3 herding dogs.  If they didn't ride in crates I'm pretty sure we'd crash every 3 miles. 

When we only had 2 they rode behind a barrier in the SUV.  That was until we were on our way to the Fort and stopped at a rest area along 95 in NJ at 3am.  I popped open the back lift gate and out flew Brady!

AHHHH!

I screamed his name, he (thankfully) stopped on a dime, spun around and tried to jump back in the truck, I dropped the lift gate on my arm, and Brady crashed into it.

Then there was the Thanksgiving he freaked out because the snow we were driving through was making too much noise and he busted through the barrier, ran through the pumpkin pie and dove into Brian's lap (I was driving).

After cleaning up pumpkin pie pawprints all over the truck, we opted for crates.

Chihuahuas don't do that :argh:

I have 1 golden who is just awesome to ride with she get's int he back seat and lays down and you don't hear from her until you stop. The other Golden is not so fun to ride with.  He goes from front to back and pants constanly. I did get him one of the seat belts but he chewed through that.  I finaly have gotten some pills to calm him down. I just have to remember to give them to him about 30 minuites before we leave.  I take him for short rides around town which I don't give him anything for but to go on a trip he will need some medication.

I was worried that if someone slammed on break, Lola would get thrown into the dash or the windshield. I may be a bit overprotective! :argh:

Not at all!  I've heard far too many stories of dogs becoming projectiles in the car - including someone who's dog was thrown out an open window when her mini van was hit!

That was the other big reason we first went to the barrier and then the crates.

If I see someone driving down the road with their dog in the open back of their pick-up truck, I want to run them off the road, pull them out of their truck, and STOMP THEM TO DEATH!!!  :rofl2:

That has to be the dumbest, most irresponsible thing after letting your kids ride in the back of a pick-up truck!

If you do this and I find out, you better [move]RUN!![/move]

If I see someone driving down the road with their dog in the open back of their pick-up truck, I want to run them off the road, pull them out of their truck, and STOMP THEM TO DEATH!!!  :rofl2:

That has to be the dumbest, most irresponsible thing after letting your kids ride in the back of a pick-up truck!

If you do this and I find out, you better [move]RUN!![/move]

Ditto. :rofl2:

• 2 weeks later...

My yorkies ride in soft sided carriers. These are the first dogs we've had that are not good travelers but being in the carriers seems to keep them calmer on any trip. If they're not in their carriers they absolutely hyperventilate. Drives us crazy. We usually stop about every three hours and take them out on their leashes.

Lola did much better this trip with her new car seat. On the way back she actually laid down and went to sleep! That was so much better than our first trip! I think that was the best $40 I have spent in a long time!

How big is it Rita? Is there room to share. It's sounds great but 5 separate carriers would take up a lot of room :rofl2:

I don't think it would be big enough to share, but I got the small one. There is a large one that might be big enough to share. This one said it was up to 15 pounds. Lola is maybe 5-10 pounds and she just fits. I think there were some that were for multiples. Check on Amazon! She does fine with me holding her around town, but the long trip made her more anxious. She loved her new carrier, once she got accustomed to it. You can zip the top and actually tote it like a purse.

I always thought they were supposed to be tied to the rear bumper & run with you. Are you telling chevy chase had it wrong? That explains the dirty looks I keep getting. :rofl2: :rofl2:

That was a most awesome movie! I love Christmas Vacation and Family Vacation!

• 6 months later...