Another Change at Trail's End Takeout

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hah!  Around here I'm pretty sure they hand out prizes for the best thread derailment.

The term "giddyup and go" is offensive appropriation of Cowboy cultural terminology.  Disney is simply doing the right thing by listening to the cowboy population and respecting their social norms.  #

And that's why we stock the bar before we leave home.  I can buy 2 bottles of my latest favorite everyday red at Trader Joes for that. 

9 hours ago, Travisma said:

https://www.modbee.com/living/article3129400.html

Tri-tip: California's cut is gaining fans from coast to coast

When it comes to beef, tri-tip rules as the king of the California grill. Now, this humble, easy-to-cook cut is gaining a toehold in other parts of the nation and is even wowing diners in the Big Apple.

Sporadic consumer demand outside California has spurred Costco, other national chains and regional grocers, to supply what the California Beef Council has officially dubbed "California's cut." The council has fielded so many requests from people in other states longing for tri-tip that it posted a meat-cutting chart on its Web site (www.calbeef.org).

Costco has dropped tri-tip here. I can't even order it by the case which they did for a while after removing it from the shelves.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 6:12 PM, keith_h said:

Costco has dropped tri-tip here. I can't even order it by the case which they did for a while after removing it from the shelves.

Are you near any Publix in that part of NC?  I know they have been moving into the state.

They are big on ordering you anything you want if they don't carry it.  Not sure if that covers cuts of meat, but it wouldn't hurt to ask the meat department manager.

So since this epic thread hijack has turned into an interesting discussion about grocery stores (go figure), I just ran across this yesterday.  A little surprised to see my beloved Market Basket #6 on a national ranking, given that they're pretty much an eastern half of MA and a little bit of southern ME chain, but hey - this is the same store that when the "bad cousin" tried to oust the "good cousin" (long family drama similar to Aldi) not only did the workers go out on strike, most of the customers did too until the deal was reached and the guys in the white hats won.  ;) 

These Are the Grocery Stores Americans Love the Most

By Published On 01/10/2019
  • Everyone has a reason behind their favorite grocery store chain. Maybe its the chain you grow up with, or one with lots of free samples. Or, maybe it's because you value the fact that they're blindly puritanical about the kinds of things they'll write on cakes. Well, now we know just which ones the most Americans prefer thanks to a spankin' new survey that reveals the most popular grocery chains in the US. 

In the haze of Hollywood awards season, a slightly different industry has recognized some big winners thanks to the folks at Dunnhumby, whose 2019 Retailer Preference Index just revealed the list of America's favorite grocery stores, and some of them might be a bit surprising. The findings come from an online survey of 7,000 US households combined with publicly available financial data, which helped suss things out. 

This year, Trader Joe's tops the list as the favorite chain, followed by Costco, and then Amazon (aka Whole Foods). Here's how the top 13 shake out.

13. The Fresh Market
12. Peapod
11. ALDI
10. Walmart
9. WinCo Foods 
8. Sprouts Farmers Market
7. Sam's Club
6. Market Basket
5. Wegmans
4. HEB
3. Amazon
2. Costco
1. Trader Joe's

In a year that saw Amazon throw itself even more into the supermarket space by trying to bridge the digital shopping experience with brick and mortar retail, the fact that TJ's took the top spot may come as a surprise (maybe not so much to those who've waited in a line there that wraps literally around the store). However, its position as the country's favorite seems to suggest that its precisely the brand's straightforward in-store experience, focus on private brand offerings, and consistently low prices that earned it the bragging rights. 

"With its small format, lack of Digital shopping and limited national brand offering, the retailer focuses on speed of in-store shopping and having a rich private brand offering," the report explains. "This bricks and mortar only, private brand approach minimizes costs and keeps prices low, allowing them to pad margins and reinvest in customer service, product quality and in-store experience. This strategy sacrifices reaching customers through a growing digital channel and breadth of assortment – particularly in non-food items – and therefore Trader Joe’s loses on one-stop shop-ability and convenience. However, this loss is also their gain, since it allows them to be excellent at what matters most to their customers." In short, the fact that it doesn't try to be everything for everyone means its able to more nimbly pull off what it's best at. 

The Dunnhumby survey also took a look at a some more specific metrics to rank American grocery stores in other terms. For instance, in terms of chains with the best prices, ALDI came in at number one, followed by Market Basket, and then WinCo Foods.  As for the overall "quality," Wegmans took the top spot, with The Fresh Market and Trader Joe's coming in second and third, respectively. 

But why get all fussy about best price or quality when all you're really looking for is some affordable cookie butter and cauliflower pizza

https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/trader-joes-favorite-grocery-store-in-america-survey#

On 1/13/2019 at 8:29 PM, Travisma said:

Are you near any Publix in that part of NC?  I know they have been moving into the state.

They are big on ordering you anything you want if they don't carry it.  Not sure if that covers cuts of meat, but it wouldn't hurt to ask the meat department manager.

We have one about the same distance as Trader Joe's. We don't shop there. To honest their prices are on the high side and the few times we've gone the produce is not as good as the local chains. 

3 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

So since this epic thread hijack has turned into an interesting discussion about grocery stores (go figure),

It's all about food. I'd say given this bunch that is a close to staying on topic as you can get.

1 hour ago, keith_h said:

We have one about the same distance as Trader Joe's. We don't shop there. To honest their prices are on the high side and the few times we've gone the produce is not as good as the local chains. 

My biggest complaint with TJ's produce is that it doesn't last as long - which I assume is because it's being trucked from further away and isn't as fresh.

That said, there are some things that are a few specific things that are typically cheaper than even the great prices at our local store - citrus, mushrooms, avocados, and weirdly enough those little persian cucumbers we love.

TJ's is supplemental shopping for me, maybe once a month.  There are particular things I always buy - either because they're cheaper or because they're unique to TJs.

1 hour ago, keith_h said:

It's all about food. I'd say given this bunch that is a close to staying on topic as you can get.

Fair point!!