16 minutes ago, alnauntB said:

I was reading that you should not take good bikes to the fort as bikes get stolen.  Has anyone had any experience with this.  What's the word from those who know.

Bikes do get stolen. Bring a cable lock. Biking at the Fort is a great way to get around and tour the loops.

I have personally sat on the porch at Crocketts and watched as two twenty something's attempted to steal my wife and my bikes that were locked in the bike rack right in front of me.

51 minutes ago, ftwildernessguy said:

I have personally sat on the porch at Crocketts and watched as two twenty something's attempted to steal my wife and my bikes that were locked in the bike rack right in front of me.

Good grief...really?!  That it so irritating😡

3 hours ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

Bikes do get stolen. Bring a cable lock. Biking at the Fort is a great way to get around and tour the loops.

Agree.  We love riding our bikes around the Fort.  It’s my favorite thing to do, especially at sunrise.  Our bikes are cheap, but we do lock them.  Both at the bike racks and at our site.

We have never had any issues with people attempting to steal our bikes. With the exception of my daughters bike, our bikes are pretty nice bikes. We have never had anyone mess with them while at the fort. I also bring this along (https://www.harborfreight.com/30-ft-x-38-in-braided-steel-security-cable-62414.html) and run it through the rear wheels, the frames, then the front wheels. After that I loop it through the wheels on the TT and and lock it up with a higher quality security lock. My guess is that if anyone attempted to steal our bikes in the past, they saw the mess of security cable holding them all to the TT and just said it wasn't work the effort trying to cut the cable.

10 hours ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

Can you show me a picture, of how you mounted it please?  Sounds like a great idea!

42 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Can you show me a picture, of how you mounted it please?  Sounds like a great idea!

I don't have a pic handy right now. I mounted it under the trailer at the front. We have a 5'er. So I lean the bikes up underneath the overhang and route the cable through all of the frames. I just bolted it to a cross member.

2 hours ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

I don't have a pic handy right now. I mounted it under the trailer at the front. We have a 5'er. So I lean the bikes up underneath the overhang and route the cable through all of the frames. I just bolted it to a cross member.

Makes sense, thank you.

The Outback has a rear slide, so I cable the bikes under the slide to the rear bumper.

On 7/8/2018 at 8:18 PM, ImDownWithDisney said:

Our old trailer came with one of those attached to the rear frame. It was a different brand but didn't last very long due to all the road wash that hit it from the tires when it rained. The unit wasn't well sealed so water would get in an sit in the housing and rusted out the return spring.  If I were to add one to our current trailer I would look for a place that didn't allow a lot of water to hit it.

3 hours ago, keith_h said:

Our old trailer came with one of those attached to the rear frame. It was a different brand but didn't last very long due to all the road wash that hit it from the tires when it rained. The unit wasn't well sealed so water would get in an sit in the housing and rusted out the return spring.  If I were to add one to our current trailer I would look for a place that didn't allow a lot of water to hit it.

Hmmm ours has been installed for 8 years now. It works just as well today as day 1. I guess they made some improvements or some are not sealed well.

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:18 PM, ImDownWithDisney said:

that is a really good idea.  we are in a fiver also so I think I will do the same thing.  Good advise from all.

The thing out of all this that's surprising to me is that there is a consistent problem of bike theft at the Fort.  It can't be the same two twenty somethings that @ftwildernessguy that are the root of all the thefts, right?  Is the theft arising from other Fortgoers or people coming onto the property to try to score some bikes?  If it were the latter, I feel that the Mouse could piece that together eventually.  If it was consistently random guests having a few too $9 brews from the trading post that could get a bit more difficult to solve.

Even the most magical campground on Earth still has some %$#@)_#! running around to bring us to back to reality.

The two I caught came off the boat and were headed in the direction of the Hoop Dee Doo.  When I yelled at them, they took off and got lost in the crowd.

It's disheartening when you sit there and watch your property being stolen. Saw a guy attempt to steal one of my kids KTM dirt bikes from him as he pushed it out of an arena once.

All you can do is make it as difficult as possible to steal.

I even changed the ignition switch on our golf cart so it doesn't use the same key that fits all Club Cars.