30A Camping in Grayton Beach State Park

Ok one more video in case anyone is interested.  I just finished this one up today and sorry its a little long.

We once again camped over spring break at Grayton Beach State Park on 30A in the Florida panhandle.  They have a limited amount of campsites and they book up a year in advance but we love this place, mostly for the beach and proximity to the 30A things we like to do, aka Seaside.

Thanks for watching!

WBI

Wow that video is awesome!  Props for all the Great Southern visits. And Seagrove Market too I'm jealous!

I got choked up when I saw you playing with your kids in Ruskin Park. My oldest was 7 and the twins were 3 the first time we visited Seaside, and those big trees in the park had just been planted. We used to play wiffle ball in the grassy area between the trees. Every summer. Good times. 

TCD

18 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

Hey Nick, are those your paddle boards or did you rent them?  Was wondering how you like that brand....we've only rented but am considering purchasing a couple.  

Hey Dave,

Those are our paddle boards, I bought them a few years ago just for trips like this.  I read a ton of reviews online before buying and these had good ones plus the price point was as high as I wanted to go.  Actually I got lucky and bought the first one to try off of Groupon, it was a previous year model so it was $100 off.  We got it home and tried it out and later bought a second one.

We did have one problem with the Groupon purchased one, it had a seam peel back a little, it never caused a leak, just looked bad.  It was right where it bends when you roll it up. I contacted TenToes and they weren't much help, but in the end it didn't matter, I just used the repair kit that came with it and so far the seem has help just fine.

Keep in mind it takes some work to inflate them, the videos make it look easy but inflating two of them will be a work out.  We've learned to do it in two phases, we get them started up to around 9-10psi, then leave them go have dinner or drinks or something, then the next day or that night we'll pump them up the rest of the way to 12or 13 psi, those last few are where it gets tough.

To summarize we like the brand, we don't use them as much as we should but their great when we do.

WBI

18 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Oh gosh, that was too sweet.  Your babies are getting so big... and that water!!  Love it!  Looks like a great time ❤️

Thank you!  Yes they are, growing all the time.

I know that water was the perfect color, only problem...it was still too cold for me!

WBI

17 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

Reminds me of the trip we just took we stayed at top sail, but I think Grayton may be better due to its location to seaside.

Yeah you were just down the road.  We really like Topsail, with the trees and the pool especially, but we're big Seaside fans so being able to bike their trumps the pool access.

WBI

12 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Wow that video is awesome!  Props for all the Great Southern visits. And Seagrove Market too I'm jealous!

I got choked up when I saw you playing with your kids in Ruskin Park. My oldest was 7 and the twins were 3 the first time we visited Seaside, and those big trees in the park had just been planted. We used to play wiffle ball in the grassy area between the trees. Every summer. Good times. 

TCD

Thanks TCD!

Yeah we're hooked on the Great Southern Cafe happy hour mojitos!  Plus all the food there is great!  Last summer when their with the inlaws my father-in-law decided we could eat every meal there and be perfectly happy!

Oh wow that's a great memory!  I bet it was even better back then with a little less crowds!  I think we'll end up having years of memories there too, we love it there and I don't see us not going anytime in the near future.

Speaking of the trees, in the 7 years I've been going there it has had some changes, but a big one is happening now, have you seen that they are moving the post office? I guess its not the first time, but this time it's moving to where the ATM is, they are going to block that road off completely and add a couple bathrooms.  Plus they are changing up Bud & Alley's area, moving the walkway towards the beach instead of through the buildings.  Oh and they built a new stage by the school.  A lot is happening right now!

Do you have any plans for a Seaside trip? 

WBI

1 hour ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

Hey Dave,

Those are our paddle boards, I bought them a few years ago just for trips like this.  I read a ton of reviews online before buying and these had good ones plus the price point was as high as I wanted to go.  Actually I got lucky and bought the first one to try off of Groupon, it was a previous year model so it was $100 off.  We got it home and tried it out and later bought a second one.

We did have one problem with the Groupon purchased one, it had a seam peel back a little, it never caused a leak, just looked bad.  It was right where it bends when you roll it up. I contacted TenToes and they weren't much help, but in the end it didn't matter, I just used the repair kit that came with it and so far the seem has help just fine.

Keep in mind it takes some work to inflate them, the videos make it look easy but inflating two of them will be a work out.  We've learned to do it in two phases, we get them started up to around 9-10psi, then leave them go have dinner or drinks or something, then the next day or that night we'll pump them up the rest of the way to 12or 13 psi, those last few are where it gets tough.

To summarize we like the brand, we don't use them as much as we should but their great when we do.

WBI

Good information....thanks!  

1 hour ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

Thanks TCD!

Yeah we're hooked on the Great Southern Cafe happy hour mojitos!  Plus all the food there is great!  Last summer when their with the inlaws my father-in-law decided we could eat every meal there and be perfectly happy!

Oh wow that's a great memory!  I bet it was even better back then with a little less crowds!  I think we'll end up having years of memories there too, we love it there and I don't see us not going anytime in the near future.

Speaking of the trees, in the 7 years I've been going there it has had some changes, but a big one is happening now, have you seen that they are moving the post office? I guess its not the first time, but this time it's moving to where the ATM is, they are going to block that road off completely and add a couple bathrooms.  Plus they are changing up Bud & Alley's area, moving the walkway towards the beach instead of through the buildings.  Oh and they built a new stage by the school.  A lot is happening right now!

Do you have any plans for a Seaside trip? 

WBI

It's really mind boggling to think about the amount of construction we've seen in Seaside and along 30A over the past 20 years that we've been visiting. When we first visited, Rosemary Beach was just empty roads, and Watercolor was an untouched forest. 

Over the years, we've seen plans for moving the Post Office, and developing the shopping/restaurant area across the street. There have been a lot of plans that were abandoned. It's really interesting how things have still evolved, and are still evolving.  

We really were hoping to get to Seaside this summer, but with all the girls working, our schedules never aligned. My oldest will be traveling the panhandle for work this fall, and we are hoping for at least a weekend trip to see her. 

TCD

14 hours ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

Yeah you were just down the road.  We really like Topsail, with the trees and the pool especially, but we're big Seaside fans so being able to bike their trumps the pool access.

WBI

We had booked a week at top sail the pool was one reason I picked it. But after 3 days of red flag warnings my daughter was done. So we did what any Fort Fiend would do I mean we were already in Florida let's go to Disney. First time we ever booked a trip on Monday night and checked in Tuesday morning. 

10 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

We had booked a week at top sail the pool was one reason I picked it. But after 3 days of red flag warnings my daughter was done. So we did what any Fort Fiend would do I mean we were already in Florida let's go to Disney. First time we ever booked a trip on Monday night and checked in Tuesday morning. 

That's great!  I can't believe you were able to get a site that last minute!

• 4 months later...
On 7/17/2018 at 1:36 PM, DaveInTN said:

Hey Nick, are those your paddle boards or did you rent them?  Was wondering how you like that brand....we've only rented but am considering purchasing a couple.  

Dave,

Not sure if you're still interested but I saw on Amazon today that a couple of the TenToes paddle boards are on sale.  I'm assuming they are a previous year model or something.

Amazon